Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 AM
BJs PJs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
A year ago I would've been greatly concerned for Matt going into this fight...but after seeing what he did to Almeida, I'm fairly confident this time Matt's going to dominate the fight. Whether he finishes the fight or not I'm not sure, but I think if he can mix some boxing with good leg kicks and a few takedowns, he'll have BJ as frustrated as he was against Frankie.
I don't think Hughes moves anything like Edgar, and has nowhere near his level of speed or technique to frustrate Penn.

Penn is the better overall striker, there's no doubt about it. Hughes couldn't work anything standing in their first two bouts. If Hughes decides to stay strickly standing here, I think he'll play right into Penns counter striking. The same can be said if he just shoots in for takedowns all fight, it'll lead to a quick end. Matt will have to fight the perfect gameplan to try and win a decision, because I don't think he can stop the Penn.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJs PJs View Post
I don't think Hughes moves anything like Edgar, and has nowhere near his level of speed or technique to frustrate Penn.

Penn is the better overall striker, there's no doubt about it. Hughes couldn't work anything standing in their first two bouts. If Hughes decides to stay strickly standing here, I think he'll play right into Penns counter striking. The same can be said if he just shoots in for takedowns all fight, it'll lead to a quick end. Matt will have to fight the perfect gameplan to try and win a decision, because I don't think he can stop the Penn.
OK, that's just hilarious. 5-5 in his last 10 fights (6-6 in his last 12) & he's "The Penn"? Lost his last 3 straight WW fights & he's "The Penn"? Can't face adversity so has to bounce around divisions & he's " The Penn"? C'mon, dude, I get that your in the Lions' Den trying to defend your favorite fighter & I respect that, but don't go out of your way to make yourself an easy target.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
OK, that's just hilarious. 5-5 in his last 10 fights (6-6 in his last 12) & he's "The Penn"? Lost his last 3 straight WW fights & he's "The Penn"? Can't face adversity so has to bounce around divisions & he's " The Penn"? C'mon, dude, I get that your in the Lions' Den trying to defend your favorite fighter & I respect that, but don't go out of your way to make yourself an easy target.
may I just add...
just before BJ hit the ground and got into that lil' ol' cucifix Matt was boxing the crap out "The Penn".
Matt has something that Frankie doesn't have. "Hurtin' power" and bone crushing strength. and more experience than Penn's last three opponents combined.

[
Old 09-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJs PJs View Post
I don't think Hughes moves anything like Edgar,
Agreed... Different... Matt has much difference foot work..

Quote:
and has nowhere near his level of speed or technique to frustrate Penn.
maybe you should watch the last fight.. speed about equal to Frankie.. technique??? dude yer funny... I would put Matt against any BJJ BB.. look at the last four he has faced...

Quote:
Penn is the better overall striker, there's no doubt about it.
I don't know that I agree with that.. I can see where you come from.. but Matt's hand get better each fight..

Quote:
Hughes couldn't work anything standing in their first two bouts.
You REALLY need to watch the last fight...

Quote:
If Hughes decides to stay strickly standing here, I think he'll play right into Penns counter striking. The same can be said if he just shoots in for takedowns all fight, it'll lead to a quick end. Matt will have to fight the perfect gameplan to try and win a decision, because I don't think he can stop the Penn.
It's not like Matt has stopped Baby Jay before right????

Matt will have to fight the game plan that breaks Baby Jay's will to win.. and TKO him AGAIN... unless he just wants to sub him...

You are in SOOO the wrong place to lay claim to Baby Jay beating Matt Hughes...

Could Baby Jay beat Matt Hughes??? sure... but so could I.. only Baby Jay stands a slightly better chance..
Old 09-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
may I just add...
just before BJ hit the ground and got into that lil' ol' cucifix Matt was boxing the crap out "The Penn".

Matt has something that Frankie doesn't have. "Hurtin' power" and bone crushing strength. and more experience than Penn's last three opponents combined.
That doesn't count. Remember, it was after The Penn broke his own rib in an autonomous vacuum for spits & giggles.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 AM
BJs PJs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Hughes is 4-3 in his last 7 fights, what's your point? That's hardly worth bragging about. Taking a shot at winning two titles in two weight divisions simultaneously is hardly shying away from adversity. Come on, dude, try harder.

Quote:
may I just add...
Haha, kept your eyes closed during the first two rounds did you? Penn was obviously injured going into the third, it's your choice to believe that or not but it clearly led to Penn being so sluggish so fast.

Quote:
He has 'hurting power'.... since when? He hasn't got it on the feet, rocking Almeida doesn't make that so. He had a hard enough time putting away a gassed Renzo Gracie that had no base or legs left before that. Sure, Hughes does get the TKO victorys on the ground, but, those are against fighters that haven't got a guard even close to how defensive Penns can be..... and that's if Hughes can even take it to the ground, something he has struggled with as of late and had a nightmare with in that second fight with BJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Agreed... Different... Matt has much difference foot work..
He doesn't really have any footwork, to be honest. He can't move in and out like Edgar either.

Quote:
maybe you should watch the last fight.. speed about equal to Frankie.. technique??? dude yer funny... I would put Matt against any BJJ BB.. look at the last four he has faced...
Come on now, Frankie is much faster and explosive than Hughes. As far as Matt fighting any black belt level jiu jitsu player, you're right, I was just referring to technique in the striking sense.

Quote:
I don't know that I agree with that.. I can see where you come from.. but Matt's hand get better each fight..
It's all a matter of opinion I guess.

Quote:
You REALLY need to watch the last fight...
Yes, yes. Hughes could only land a paw on him after he injured himself before the end of the second. Again, nothing to brag about.

Quote:
It's not like Matt has stopped Baby Jay before right????
Stoppage still feels a little tainted for me, due to the injury. He'll have a chance to do the same at UFC 123 against a healthy Penn and prove me wrong.

Quote:
Matt will have to fight the game plan that breaks Baby Jay's will to win.. and TKO him AGAIN... unless he just wants to sub him...
Or BJ can just steamroll him all over the ring and submit him with ease... AGAIN.

Quote:
You are in SOOO the wrong place to lay claim to Baby Jay beating Matt Hughes...
No other place better, in my opinion.

Quote:
Could Baby Jay beat Matt Hughes??? sure... but so could I.. only Baby Jay stands a slightly better chance..
No, you sure couldn't. And i'm pretty sure BJ stands marginally more than a ''slightly better chance'' than you at beating Matt Hughes.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Rochambeau

If somebody was to only watch the third round they would think Matt had sick striking, but I did see the first two rounds and BJ wasn't the same in the third as he was in the first two. Did Matt come out in the third round thinking that it was time to pull out his seriously sick striking that we had seen none of in the first two rounds? BJ stood in front of Matt and took it. I don't know what happened. Maybe Matt's determination made BJ leave his hands down?

I wanted Matt to win and I was happy with the outcome, but I was not impressed by his performance. Not until the third round anyway.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:28 AM

hmmm...

Baby Jay.. 15-7-1
Matt Hughes... 45 -7 hmmmmm... Matt has more fights.. against better quality fighters... than Penn has TOTAL!!.. Hmmm

Matt has been TKOed.. Subbed.... Only Baby Jay has QUIT ON THE STOOL... no heart...

Matt Hughes.. 9 title defenses...
Penn .. 3 title defense...

Times that Matt has had his momma speak for him to an athletic commission.. 0
Times that Baby Jay has had his momma speak for him to an athletic commission.. 1... hahahahahahaaaaahahaahahahaha.. it's still funny

Matt's total Gracie BJJ BBs beaten... 4
Baby Jay's total Gracie BJJ BBs beaten... 2

Times that Matt Hughes has been called a "Baby".... None..
Times that Baby Jay has been called a "Baby"... countless...

Times that Matt Hughes fans go to Baby Jay Penn's site to bash him.. prolly 0....
Times that Baby Jay Penn fans come here to try and trash Matt Hughes... countless..

Times that Baby Jay Penn will get taken down on 11/20.... as many times as Matt wants..
Times that Baby Jay Penn hand gets raised on 11/20 .. none.

Excuses that Baby Jay will make?? Many...
Old 09-21-2010, 03:33 AM

Don't get me wrong... Baby Jay has great skill... he has beat many people.. But he is not a great person.. he is not a great fighter...

Matt will show that a Country Boy will beat the snot out of a Hilo Boy. 2 out of 3 times...
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Rochambeau

Matt is a legend in this sport. It's not really fair to compare anybody to Matt and what he has done, but Matt is going to be fighting BJ in a real fight. Wanting to win and being strong-willed isn't exactly what wins you a fight. Matt is going to need to fight well, which he is capable of doing.