Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes 3 possible for UFC 123 on Nov. 20

BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes 3 possible for UFC 123 on Nov. 20

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/9/13/16...bly-on-ufc-123

I would LOVE to see Matt put the nail in Baby Jay's coffin.... WHEEEEEE

Quote:
Former welterweight champions BJ Penn and Matt Hughes will collide for the third and likely final time in a 170-pound bout at UFC 123, which is scheduled for The Palace of Auburn Hills in Auburn Hills, Mich., on Nov. 20.

Ariel Helwani today confirmed the rampant speculation after Hughes hinted on his official website that he would return to action when the promotion hits "Motor City" later this year.

More on this breaking news shortly.

UFC 123 is expected to be headlined by a light heavyweight match up of top contenders Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) alums, Joe Lauzon and George Sotiropoulos, are also expected to throw down in an important 155-pound showdown.
I would pay full price for that!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:32 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Awesome!

After he loses, I can't wait to hear the excuses.

"I beat him so easy the first time, I didn't feel the need to train this time."
"He felt greasy."
Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 AM
Rochambeau

I wasn't expecting this, but it should be good. Is Matt's striking up to par?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 AM
GnP

more from mma weekly

Trilogies have become a part of great film series and great fights.

The next trilogy in MMA will take place at UFC 123 when former welterweight champions B.J. Penn and Matt Hughes settle the score in the co-main event of the Nov. 20 event in Detroit.

Rumors about the bout began to circulate on Monday when Hughes posted on his official website that UFC president Dana White had contacted him with an interesting proposal for the November card.

Penn previously stated on his website that he had also been contacted about a potential return in November.

The pieces started falling together and the two legends were put together for a third fight. MMAWeekly.com sources on Monday confirmed the rumors that Penn and Hughes had agreed to meet. MMAFighting.com was the first to officially report the bout.

Penn originally met Hughes in January 2004, when the former lightweight decided to make the trip to 170 pounds to face one of the most dominant champions the weight class had ever seen. While Penn went into the bout as an underdog, he was more than happy to shock the world. He submitted Hughes with a rear naked choke in the first round.

The two met again in September 2006, and after a back and forth war early, Hughes eventually got Penn down, trapping him in a crucifix position and hammered the Hawaiian with punches until the fight was stopped.

Now, in November, the pair will finally put their rivalry to rest.

Hughes had stated after his August win over Ricardo Almeida that he intended to take some time off and return in 2011, but he's also said numerous times that he doesn't turn down the UFC when they come calling. This appears to be one such instance.

This will be the first trip back to 170 pounds for Penn since he lost to Georges St-Pierre at UFC 94 in January 2009.

The bout between Penn and Hughes will serve as the co-main event on the card headlined by former light heavyweight champions Lyoto Machida and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 AM
cheachea

WAR HUGHES !!! Man Matt has been doing awesome with his strikes and submissions, Penn is in for a world of hurt
Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochambeau View Post
I wasn't expecting this, but it should be good. Is Matt's striking up to par?
It's more like is BJ's gas tank going to be up to par....
Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
It's more like is BJ's gas tank going to be up to par....
well.. let's take a serious look at that...

Baby Jay.. Chillin on the big island.. filled with "yes men" all around him.. pools.. babes.. oceans.. really nice..

Matt Hughes... .. Chilly in Hillsboro, IL, filled with family at home, running a farm and a gym.. prolly very few "yes men" around.. more like a bunch of people that will keep any ego in the land of reality.. in the land of clean air and wonderful views

Baby Jay.. weight training...
Matt Hughes.. weight training.. and then works the farm..

Baby Jay.. jogging...
Matt Hughes.. running after his latest kill while hunting

Baby Jay.. jumps out of pools filled with water
Matt Hughes.. walks the farm.. muddy fields sucking the shoes off his feet..

Baby Jay carries grociers from the car to the house..
Matt Hughes does the same.. then tosses bails of hay..

Hilo Boy vs Country Boy... heh... you tell me.. who really has something to prove for this fight.. The man who says he is the best..but makes excuses for losing.. or the man that just brings it every SINGLE time.. and if there is a losing fight.. says.."yeap.. he had me that night"..

Baby Jay.. 23 and 7 and 1 - He has lost a 1/4 of his fights..
Matt Hughes... 45 and 7 - Need I say more?

Anyone else want to make a few comparisons?

Country boy has bigger heart (never quit on a stool..even if the fights not going his way)
Old 09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Hilo Boy vs Country Boy... heh... you tell me.. who really has something to prove for this fight.. The man who says he is the best..but makes excuses for losing.. or the man that just brings it every SINGLE time..
Good stuff, man.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Krupp

You know, let's not get carried away guys; something tells me BJ could come out fired up for this one. While there is a possibility he may take the fight lightely, I highly doubt it. He's been wanting a third fight with Matt for along time, if I recall right..
Old 09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
KevinD

I bet Matt would much rather fight a 5 rounder because his conditioning has never been questioned. Bj on the otherhand has had some trouble in that department.
I think this fight depends on who is training BJ. Is it Rudeboy back in Hilo, or the Marinovich brothers in SoCal? It will be a close fight if a highly motivated and in shape BJ shows up. BJ will be very dangerous in the first round.
I predict Matt will overpower BJ. American wrestling will once again prevail in this one, followed by some brutal ground and pound.