Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Buc Nasty

The point Max is making is that fighters don't get points for being aggressive off of their back. The points system is geared towards the guy in top position which answers the other question why wrestlers get the blame for fights being boring - some of them are happy to sit in someone's guard because they will get the points.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Maynard might but put on mind blowing fights, but those who like the wrestling aspect of the MMA think he is fun to watch...

And for those people that say wrestling is boring.. two words....

Matt Hughes
Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Maynard might but put on mind blowing fights, but those who like the wrestling aspect of the MMA think he is fun to watch...

And for those people that say wrestling is boring.. two words....

Matt Hughes
I'm a huge fan of wrestling but comparing Hughes and Maynard is just .......... silly I guess....
Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 AM
pistol-pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I'm a huge fan of wrestling but comparing Hughes and Maynard is just .......... silly I guess....
Hughes is a monster with the ground and pound, so is Couture. They are at another level completely. Difference is that Couture actually likes working out of the guard and and half guard, while Hughes likes to be in side control and use the crux or go for a kimora, or americana.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Dan Hardy has since posted a rebuttal:

Quote:
"One guy who struggled to keep up with the points I made was UFC middleweight and charisma donor Nate Marquardt, who always seems to have something to say about me, for no other reason than I once competed against one of his friends. Sadly, we can now add 'literacy test' to the types of tests Nate has failed, because he either misread the whole thing or like writers from AOL and Yahoo did just read the first paragraph or two and had to stop because reading gives him a headache. Ultimately, people can agree or disagree with what I wrote, but the facts are on my side. The Nick Lentz fight at UFC 118, which was the catalyst for my column, was the only UFC Prelim fight to ever lose TV viewers. That hurt the pay-per-view buy rate, it hurt Andre Winner's career, it hurt lightweight Joe Lauzon who had an amazing performance immediately after Lentz's effort, which fewer people witnessed because of Lentz and it hurt the sport as a whole. No one watching that Lentz fight was entertained, no one turned to their buddy and screamed 'Damn! This fight is so awesome! He's holding the hell out of him!' I would never presume to speak for the UFC, but I can't see Lentz getting any more prime time opportunities anytime soon."
He makes a good point with the viewing numbers, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's MMA, not K-1. Just because fans might not understand the strategy behind a sacrifice bunt doesn't mean baseball should outlaw it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
from Dan Hardy
no one turned to their buddy and screamed 'Damn! This fight is so awesome! He's holding the hell out of him!'

Awesome!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Buc Nasty

This bit was my favourite ...

Quote:
"One guy who struggled to keep up with the points I made was UFC middleweight and charisma donor Nate Marquardt."
Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Exactly! If you don't want a wrestler to hold you down and grind out a decision? Learn to stop him. Otherwise: too bad, so sad.
Eh, I disagree.

I also think wrestling isn't the problem, people stalling is.
There are PLENTY of exciting wrestlers.

NIck Lentz isn't one of them.
(An exmaple of somebody who stalls)

But Brock, Sonnen, Hughes, etc... are all very exciting to watch.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
He makes a good point with the viewing numbers, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's MMA, not K-1.
You are right, its MMA not wrestling. People dont only wanna see stand up, people seem to forget that there are wrestlers out there that fans dont complain about. It the wrestlers that get the takedown and then just stall and do nothing else.