Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Roy Jones returns to action October 7th

Copied from my blog...

http://squaredoctagon.com/index.php?page=40

Quote:
Roy Jones Jr. returns to action October 7th
9/8/10 by JB

On October 7th, Boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. will return to action against Danny Santiago in Pensacola, Florida. Santiago, a journeyman at 37 years old with a record of 31-4, is saying this fight is do or die for both men, but is that really the case? Surely, beating a legend like Jones is a feather in the cap of any fighter, but there comes a time when even the most die-hard supporters of Jones must address the elephant in the room. Roy Jones has not looked like the fighter we once knew for quite some time.

Now, with full disclosure, I will admit that I am a huge fan of Roy Jones Jr., like many Boxing fans around my age in their late 20's. He is one of my all time favorite Boxers, and I am one of the last people who wants to see his career come to an end. With that being said, after the fiasco with Danny Green and subsequent 1st round loss in Austrailia in December of 2009, and the decision loss in the rematch with Bernard Hopkins in April 2010, it's hard to imagine much more for Roy.

Anybody who has followed Jones knows he clearly has a deep love for the sport of Boxing, and there is no doubt he loves to perform in front of his hometown crowd in Pensacola, so Santiago is definitely walking into the lion's den. Danny is likely going to be outclassed by Roy's speed and movement as long as Jones capitalizes on openings and actually lets his hands go. At this point in his career, I don't think Jones is afraid of losing, as his legacy in his prime speaks for itself and that can never be challenged. However, should Roy lose to Santiago, the calls for Roy to retire would be greater than ever before, and harder for Roy to ignore. Fighting is a sport that requires a constant awareness of the risk to reward factor and the downside to this fight is much higher than the upside for Jones. No matter what happens, Jones will always have my support, and as long as he is healthy and happy that is all that really matters. I just hope that win, lose, or draw, Roy will find a way to make the transition from working inside the ring to working outside of it.

Legacy goes a long way in buying the benefit of the doubt, and in case anybody forget, I'll let Roy remind you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQHLR1-v5Dg
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 AM
rearnakedchoke

man, he looks real old for 37 ...
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
man, he looks real old for 37 ...
If he could actually get his legs underneath him and let his hands go, he is still fast enough and technically sound enough to be beating top competition. The Roy of 8 years ago would have dominated Calzaghe, Green, and Hopkins.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
MY BLOG?????

Well where the heck have I been??? I had no idea you had a blog!!!

Why didn't you tell me ya schmuck!!!

I'm ticked!!! I think I'm going to go find a copy of one of your albums and burn it!!!!!

Oh yeah... GREAT write up and GREAT blog!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:56 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
MY BLOG?????

Well where the heck have I been??? I had no idea you had a blog!!!

Why didn't you tell me ya schmuck!!!

I'm ticked!!! I think I'm going to go find a copy of one of your albums and burn it!!!!!

Oh yeah... GREAT write up and GREAT blog!!!!
lol, thanks bro!

It's new, and I'm still doing some technical stuff to the site. I am just now slowly starting to put it out there that I've switched the site over. Dave (Tyburn) is actually doing some write ups that I'm posting there, and I've got a couple other people that are getting on board. If you want in, you got it, just let me know!

I plan on doing a short radio show every week, and I am gonna be asking people to contribute questions and such. It's all for fun, and a place for me and others to just talk about whatever they want related to Boxing/MMA
Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Chuck

Quote:
lol, thanks bro!

It's new, and I'm still doing some technical stuff to the site. I am just now slowly starting to put it out there that I've switched the site over. Dave (Tyburn) is actually doing some write ups that I'm posting there, and I've got a couple other people that are getting on board. If you want in, you got it, just let me know!

I plan on doing a short radio show every week, and I am gonna be asking people to contribute questions and such. It's all for fun, and a place for me and others to just talk about whatever they want related to Boxing/MMA
brother count me in for anything and everything I can do to help you...

Just say the word.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
If he could actually get his legs underneath him and let his hands go, he is still fast enough and technically sound enough to be beating top competition. The Roy of 8 years ago would have dominated Calzaghe, Green, and Hopkins.
i agree .. and good write up by the way ..