Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Boomer's Avatar
Boomer Boomer is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 1,561
Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Well when you said "the boxing world" I was just under that impression... No biggie..













oh wait .. you said NO biggie. I was just under the impression it was a Biggie.

__________________
-------
Quote from Chuck:
Quote:
Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 AM
canadiancountryboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[QUOTE=J.B.;133812]That may be the case, but it has nothing to do with monetary compensation.

I disagree. James Toney was never touted as the next big thing in MMA. Lesnar was and then was brought along as the next heavyweight contender. Brock did carry a lot of weight coming over from WWE and was paid a lot of money mainly because of that. His wrestling background carried a lot of weight as many know that a good wrestler can go a long way in MMA. He came to fight and in shape. His skill set was more suited to MMA than Toney's. Toney was paid for being a one fight spectacle. Lesnar was viewed as a guy who could go places.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-03-2010, 01:32 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancountryboy View Post

I disagree. James Toney was never touted as the next big thing in MMA. Lesnar was and then was brought along as the next heavyweight contender. Brock did carry a lot of weight coming over from WWE and was paid a lot of money mainly because of that. His wrestling background carried a lot of weight as many know that a good wrestler can go a long way in MMA. He came to fight and in shape. His skill set was more suited to MMA than Toney's. Toney was paid for being a one fight spectacle. Lesnar was viewed as a guy who could go places.
It still has nothing to do with why each man was compensated with the amounts of money they received. Both Lesnar and Toney got much higher paydays because they have drawing power coming from their respective backgrounds.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
It was addressing the sentiment that has been thrown around on platforms and public forums that if any boxer would ever get into a cage that an mma guy would not have a chance. take two iconic figures of each of the sports and put them against each other and one doesn't last a full 5 min round. thats a message. never said anything about knocking boxing, boxers or anything of that sort. It addressed a paradigm was there in the combat sports world.
I hear what you are saying Boom, but that paradigm goes both ways, and I hear MMA fans trash talk boxers and boxing all the time. In fact, most boxing forums are filled with MMA fans that totally respect MMA. For every one idiot who says something stupid like "any boxer would crush any MMA guy in the cage", there are like 20 people saying that is ridiculous and these are two different sports. The sibling rivalry between the two sports is actually quite silly.

There are plenty of boxing fans who don't find the grappling part of MMA to be very exciting, and they can be vocal about that at times, but at the same time, some of MMA's OWN fans are often un-entertained by high level grappling. This fight proved absolutely nothing. Tim Sylvia lasted 9 seconds with Ray Mercer, and that didn't prove anything either.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 AM
JohnnyB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[QUOTE=canadiancountryboy;133877]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
That may be the case, but it has nothing to do with monetary compensation.

I disagree. James Toney was never touted as the next big thing in MMA. Lesnar was and then was brought along as the next heavyweight contender. Brock did carry a lot of weight coming over from WWE and was paid a lot of money mainly because of that. His wrestling background carried a lot of weight as many know that a good wrestler can go a long way in MMA. He came to fight and in shape. His skill set was more suited to MMA than Toney's. Toney was paid for being a one fight spectacle. Lesnar was viewed as a guy who could go places.
And yet still makes $100,000 less per fight than Toney...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

And yet still makes $100,000 less per fight than Toney...
We don't really know that. I'm sure Brock gets a lot more in PPV shares than Toney did (if he got any at all). Besides, Toney is not going be fighting in the UFC anymore so it's irrelevant.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 AM
Dawezilla
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It was more of a specticle...

Like a sideshow.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.