Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Well when you said "the boxing world" I was just under that impression... No biggie..

oh wait .. you said NO biggie. I was just under the impression it was a Biggie.

Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 AM
canadiancountryboy

[QUOTE=J.B.;133812]That may be the case, but it has nothing to do with monetary compensation.

I disagree. James Toney was never touted as the next big thing in MMA. Lesnar was and then was brought along as the next heavyweight contender. Brock did carry a lot of weight coming over from WWE and was paid a lot of money mainly because of that. His wrestling background carried a lot of weight as many know that a good wrestler can go a long way in MMA. He came to fight and in shape. His skill set was more suited to MMA than Toney's. Toney was paid for being a one fight spectacle. Lesnar was viewed as a guy who could go places.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:32 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancountryboy View Post

I disagree. James Toney was never touted as the next big thing in MMA. Lesnar was and then was brought along as the next heavyweight contender. Brock did carry a lot of weight coming over from WWE and was paid a lot of money mainly because of that. His wrestling background carried a lot of weight as many know that a good wrestler can go a long way in MMA. He came to fight and in shape. His skill set was more suited to MMA than Toney's. Toney was paid for being a one fight spectacle. Lesnar was viewed as a guy who could go places.
It still has nothing to do with why each man was compensated with the amounts of money they received. Both Lesnar and Toney got much higher paydays because they have drawing power coming from their respective backgrounds.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
It was addressing the sentiment that has been thrown around on platforms and public forums that if any boxer would ever get into a cage that an mma guy would not have a chance. take two iconic figures of each of the sports and put them against each other and one doesn't last a full 5 min round. thats a message. never said anything about knocking boxing, boxers or anything of that sort. It addressed a paradigm was there in the combat sports world.
I hear what you are saying Boom, but that paradigm goes both ways, and I hear MMA fans trash talk boxers and boxing all the time. In fact, most boxing forums are filled with MMA fans that totally respect MMA. For every one idiot who says something stupid like "any boxer would crush any MMA guy in the cage", there are like 20 people saying that is ridiculous and these are two different sports. The sibling rivalry between the two sports is actually quite silly.

There are plenty of boxing fans who don't find the grappling part of MMA to be very exciting, and they can be vocal about that at times, but at the same time, some of MMA's OWN fans are often un-entertained by high level grappling. This fight proved absolutely nothing. Tim Sylvia lasted 9 seconds with Ray Mercer, and that didn't prove anything either.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 AM
JohnnyB

[QUOTE=canadiancountryboy;133877]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
That may be the case, but it has nothing to do with monetary compensation.

And yet still makes $100,000 less per fight than Toney...
Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

And yet still makes $100,000 less per fight than Toney...
We don't really know that. I'm sure Brock gets a lot more in PPV shares than Toney did (if he got any at all). Besides, Toney is not going be fighting in the UFC anymore so it's irrelevant.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 AM
Dawezilla

It was more of a specticle...

Like a sideshow.