Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Seems logical that if $500,000 is the number the UFC is releasing as his fight purse then James definitely took at least a small share of the PPV and maybe even some other types of bonuses or incentives, but I could be wrong. Even though James seems like he could potentially be convinced to fight for $50 and a bag of double-cheeseburgers, I still don't think Dan Goosen or Toney's team are quite as intoxicated from years of repeated blows to the skull. Just seems to me that they worked it out so they wouldn't have to put the entire amount down on paper for the public to see because they know the backlash won't be positive.

Also, being mad about Toney getting paid that much is understandable from the MMA perspective, but that's not how the business end of fighting works. It still boils down to good old fashioned capitalism, and no matter how much of a draw people think BJ Penn or Randy Couture is, it was James Toney and the "UFC vs Boxing" bullcrap that drove UFC 118. This is NO different than the type of money Brock Lesnar was making from the moment he came to the UFC.
I agree with that!! As much as everyone loves Brock I can't stand him! He throws his weight around and I don't see anything great about his fighting!! But that's just me probably cause I don't like him!!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM
canadiancountryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I agree with that!! As much as everyone loves Brock I can't stand him! He throws his weight around and I don't see anything great about his fighting!! But that's just me probably cause I don't like him!!
I don't like him either but the big difference is that Brock trained seriously for MMA and came to fight in shape! Toney showed us nothing.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Toney drove the PPV - he has achieved much in his game and it is what it is. The economics of it all means MMA fighters salaries will start to steadily increase.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:47 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancountryboy View Post
I don't like him either but the big difference is that Brock trained seriously for MMA and came to fight in shape! Toney showed us nothing.
That may be the case, but it has nothing to do with monetary compensation.

In fact, the argument could be made that it wasn't Brock Lesnar himself that ever drove up PPV numbers while in the WWE, so he was not really a PPV juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination. The fact is that it's ultimately the UFC brand (or the WWE brand) that is selling the PPV and the stars involved simply add to that. James Toney may be lazy and out of shape, but he's still James Toney and he is the one who brought a serious sense of interest to the card by allowing them to exaggerate his accomplishments as a Boxer and make a fool of him. He may not have put in the work as we would have liked him to, but the UFC never wanted him to either. The UFC wanted to use James to take a pot shot at Boxing and they were successful. They didn't REALLY want James Toney to have any chance at succeeding, they just wanted to see him get humiliated to keep the masses squawking about how "UFC RULEZ dude!!! Awesome bro!!! Boxing is SOOO dead...". It makes the UFC seem like as much of a joke as James Toney is to begin with, which is no surprise at all.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
GnP

offical figures from mma weekly

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS:

-Frankie Edgar: $96,000 (includes $48,000 win bonus) def. B.J. Penn: $150,000

-Randy Couture: $250,000 (no win bonus) def. James Toney: $500,000

-Demian Maia: $68,000 (includes $34,000 win bonus) def. Mario Miranda: $8,000

-Gray Maynard: $46,000 (includes $23,000 win bonus) def. Kenny Florian: $65,000

-Nate Diaz: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Marcus Davis: $31,000

PRELIMINARY CARD (NON-TELEVISED) FIGHTERS:

-Joe Lauzon: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Gabe Ruediger: $8,000

-Nik Lentz: $22,000 (includes $11,000 win bonus) def. Andre Winner: $10,000

-Dan Miller: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. John Salter: $8,000

-Greg Soto: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) def. Nick Osipczak: $10,000

-Mike Pierce: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Amilcar Alves: $6,000

UFC 118 DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $1,428,000
Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnP View Post
UFC 118 DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $1,428,000

The "disclosed" number is always the one that always makes me laugh.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

i know boxers are use to high paydays ... and i understand why Dana would agree to that purse for him .... but it still chaps me a bit that he got that much. but it was a price to pay to send a message to the boxing world.
Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
i know boxers are use to high paydays ... and i understand why Dana would agree to that purse for him .... but it still chaps me a bit that he got that much. but it was a price to pay to send a message to the boxing world.
I don't see why a message would be sent to the boxing world. I love mma, and boxing.. However people cannot knock boxing um isn't it used in mma? It's idiotic fans and people like Toney that play these sports against the other.. Boxing helped pave mma as we know it.. That's like hating wrestlers.. Makes no sense.. I think each industry needs to give each one credit. Not all boxers hate mma fighters and vice versa..
Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I don't see why a message would be sent to the boxing world. I love mma, and boxing.. However people cannot knock boxing um isn't it used in mma? It's idiotic fans and people like Toney that play these sports against the other.. Boxing helped pave mma as we know it.. That's like hating wrestlers.. Makes no sense.. I think each industry needs to give each one credit. Not all boxers hate mma fighters and vice versa..
It was addressing the sentiment that has been thrown around on platforms and public forums that if any boxer would ever get into a cage that an mma guy would not have a chance. take two iconic figures of each of the sports and put them against each other and one doesn't last a full 5 min round. thats a message. never said anything about knocking boxing, boxers or anything of that sort. It addressed a paradigm was there in the combat sports world.
Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
It was addressing the sentiment that has been thrown around on platforms and public forums that if any boxer would ever get into a cage that an mma guy would not have a chance. take two iconic figures of each of the sports and put them against each other and one doesn't last a full 5 min round. thats a message. never said anything about knocking boxing, boxers or anything of that sort. It addressed a paradigm was there in the combat sports world.
Well when you said "the boxing world" I was just under that impression... No biggie..