Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-20-2010, 03:53 PM
BamaGrits84

Default when BJ kicks FE's butt

I just couldn't stand that "when Frankie beats BJ" foolishness! I had to come up with a better topic.

I read a lot about BJ & excuses on that other thread but i haven't heard him make an excuse for the last fight. has anyone else? maybe i missed something. i'll make one for him, he was clearly (based on the look on his face) off his game for some reason. if he comes would Saturday and has that look on his face that would make you cross the street to get away from him you know Frankie's face is about to get restructured.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
I just couldn't stand that "when Frankie beats BJ" foolishness! I had to come up with a better topic.

I read a lot about BJ & excuses on that other thread but i haven't heard him make an excuse for the last fight. has anyone else? maybe i missed something. i'll make one for him, he was clearly (based on the look on his face) off his game for some reason. if he comes would Saturday and has that look on his face that would make you cross the street to get away from him you know Frankie's face is about to get restructured.
his team said that he was on antibiotics due to a sinus infection..

It seemed to me that his sinus' were infected with Frankie's hands.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

He had a runny nose in the first fight.

Honestly, I know people get mad when fighters talk about injuries or illness and look at it as an excuse, but it's part of the game and legit to mention. It should not be taboo to say that you were sick or hurt, just don't whine about it and make it the only reason you lost a fight.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
his team said that he was on antibiotics due to a sinus infection..

It seemed to me that his sinus' were infected with Frankie's hands.
I hadn't heard that. Really if you look at him when he came out fr that fight he wasn't pumped. he wasn't jumped around the cage. Nothing like he usually does.

I know BJ's not perfect & has made excuses in the past. Don't 80% of fighters have a reason for losing? The didn't train hard enough or under estimated or had an injury.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
He had a runny nose in the first fight.

Honestly, I know people get mad when fighters talk about injuries or illness and look at it as an excuse, but it's part of the game and legit to mention. It should not be taboo to say that you were sick or hurt, just don't whine about it and make it the only reason you lost a fight.
I think they shouldn't mention it (even if it is legit) because it does make it look like they are making excuses of why they lost or why they performed poorly even though they won. It takes something away from them and their opponent. I don't like it.

I'm rooting for BJ so I hope he doesn't say or do anything to disappoint me.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:31 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I think they shouldn't mention it (even if it is legit) because it does make it look like they are making excuses of why they lost or why they performed poorly even though they won. It takes something away from them and their opponent. I don't like it.

I think it depends on whether a fighter is tossing out excuses or reasons, if that makes sense.

There's a difference between "I woulda whupped his @$$, but I got this sinus infection. No way he'll beat me when I'm healthy," and "He beat me fair & square. Sorry to my fans, I wasn't 100% for this one, but that's my fault for not giving it my all."

As a fan, I like to know the reason(s) why a person was (in)effective in a particular fight. When someone performs below what I thought their abilities were, I want to know why: did I fall for the hype or is there something else?

I like hearing fighters explaining the stuff that's not public knowledge (i.e. the reasons), but they need to own up to it & not use them as cop outs (i.e. excuses).

Just my 2 bits.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:38 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:

I think that's a bit unreasonable to expect though. We don't chastise athletes in other sports for having less than stellar performances when they are injured, but if they go out there and play great while sick/injured they get all sorts of EXTRA praise. They are just human beings and it's normal to for people to put where they are coming from into context, especially when you are in the public eye and have the media asking you over and over again "what was wrong in that fight?".

I don't think it's ALWAYS a knock on the opponent, but fans are literally going to take it that way every time because that's the mentality that presides over the sport today. If a guy is saying something like "my opponent ONLY won because I was *insert injury/sickness here* then that is one thing, but to just mention it isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Last edited by J.B.; 08-20-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Miss Foxy

You go girl!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I think it depends on whether a fighter is tossing out excuses or reasons, if that makes sense.
I know what you're saying. Like I say, it can be a totally legitimate "reason" they weren't up to their usual performance, but it still ends up making them look less (if you will) for having mentioned it. And I think it takes away from the other guy if he wins or if he's had the match for 99.9% of it but you end up winning.

Let's use Anderson to illustrate what I'm trying to say since his fight just happened. (I'm sure JB is just gonna love me. ) So Anderson pulls the win out the very last minute or so of the 5th round and jumps up with arms raised. Then when Joe's interviewing him, he mentions the hurt ribs. Whether his ribs were hurt before the fight or not, to mention it then, to me, just made him look like he was making excuses for the way the fight went. It was like he was totally nullifying what his opponent had done for 4 3/4 rounds of the match. I saw no reason for him to mention that at that point. And, when they do that, after the match, it makes me doubt what they're saying especially if I saw no indication of it during the match.

If they're in training camp for their fight and get hurt but are still going forward with their match, let it out then at that time, but don't say anything else especially not right after the match, win or lose. They'll come out smelling better that way.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Let's use Anderson to illustrate what I'm trying to say since his fight just happened. (I'm sure JB is just gonna love me. ) So Anderson pulls the win out the very last minute or so of the 5th round and jumps up with arms raised. Then when Joe's interviewing him, he mentions the hurt ribs. Whether his ribs were hurt before the fight or not, to mention it then, to me, just made him look like he was making excuses for the way the fight went. It was like he was totally nullifying what his opponent had done for 4 3/4 rounds of the match. I saw no reason for him to mention that at that point. And, when they do that, after the match, it makes me doubt what they're saying especially if I saw no indication of it during the match.
Did you see Anderson bow to Chael?

Did you hear Chael say he believes Silva and actually expected more resistance?

Did you notice Silva complaining about the ribs during the fight? Because he did.

Did you forget that Silva still won the fight and admitted that he anticipated having to fight from his back because of Chael's wrestling?

Silva didn't disrespect Chael by any means by mentioning the rib injury, and even Chael said that.

Yes, I still love you Bonnie, even though your still mad cuz Sonnen fumbled the ball at the one yard line