Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Black Mamba

Default Injured good Samaritan ticketed for jaywalking

DENVER A good Samaritan who helped push three people out of the path of a pickup truck before being struck and injured has gotten a strange reward for his good deed: A jaywalking ticket.

Family members said 58-year-old bus driver Jim Moffett and another man were helping two elderly women cross a busy Denver street in a snowstorm when he was hit Friday night.

Moffett suffered bleeding in the brain, broken bones, a dislocated shoulder and a possible ruptured spleen. He was in serious but stable condition Wednesday.

The Colorado State Patrol issued the citation. Trooper Ryan Sullivan said that despite Moffett's intentions, jaywalking contributed to the accident.

Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross.

Moffett's stepson, Ken McDonald, said the driver of the pickup plowed into his stepfather, but not before Moffett pushed the two women out of the way.

When he awoke in intensive care, he learned of the ticket. "His reaction was dazed and confused. I was a little angry," said McDonald.

The other man also was cited for jaywalking, while the pickup driver was cited with careless driving that led to injury. Sullivan said the two elderly women haven't been cited but the investigation is ongoing.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Talk about injustice.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM
rearnakedchoke

I blame it all on Obama .. had McCain been elected, this travesty would have never happened ...
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM

The law is the law. jaywalkers can't be allowed to destroy our society. jaywalking is a gateway crime anyways. "nip it in the bud", as Barney Fife would say!

[
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
logrus

jaywalking is more common then breathing air. We should inforce it then send it to the goverment and forget about the stimulus bill because debt would be gone and there would be enough money to fund any project for the next 4 years.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
The law is the law. jaywalkers can't be allowed to destroy our society. jaywalking is a gateway crime anyways. "nip it in the bud", as Barney Fife would say!
Amen, preach it, bro!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Amen, preach it, bro!!!
Of course if they started ticketing in NYC for it, they could pay off the national debt in a matter of months.
I'm a serial jaywalker!

[
Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Of course if they started ticketing in NYC for it, they could pay off the national debt in a matter of months.
I'm a serial jaywalker!
All you have to do is just enforce it on college campuses. Especially in an urban campus like we have at VCU. I cross at will & stare down drivers, daring them to hit me. Like I always tell my buddies: "Hey, it's their insurance rates that'll spike!"
Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 AM
Chuck

The guys deserved tickets.... it's why there was an accident in the first place!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 AM

They said it was during a SNOWSTORM! But, hey, you try to do something good and as usual it comes back to bite you on the ass!