Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Have we all had it with this 'I got a staph infection?' That's like the new thing. I would be embarrassed if I didn't have a staph infection. You know what a staph infection is? It means you've been working out on a mat. For goodness sake you should always want to have a staph infection. But I tell you what, when Aug. 7 rolls around, I may have one of these mysterious staph infections,I will have something on me will hurt, I will not feel good, but when my music hits those speakers, I'll make that walk and I'll answer for everything I've ever said.
I'm on the mat several times a week for class and I've never had a staph infection. At my very first class at the gym here in NC I spotted staph on a guy on the back of his leg. I told the instructor and he took the guy aside and they both decided it was a spider bite but the guy was told to go to a doc before coming back to class. He had staph and had to be on antibiotics before the doc let him start training again. I ALWAYS look everyone over before rolling with them. I even donated chlorhexidine soap for the guys/girls to use before and or after class. The gym I went to in TX never once had a staph outbreak either.

It is very easy to get staph but prevention and clean mats can help decrease the chances of spreading it.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I'm on the mat several times a week for class and I've never had a staph infection. At my very first class at the gym here in NC I spotted staph on a guy on the back of his leg. I told the instructor and he took the guy aside and they both decided it was a spider bite but the guy was told to go to a doc before coming back to class. He had staph and had to be on antibiotics before the doc let him start training again. I ALWAYS look everyone over before rolling with them. I even donated chlorhexidine soap for the guys/girls to use before and or after class. The gym I went to in TX never once had a staph outbreak either.

It is very easy to get staph but prevention and clean mats can help decrease the chances of spreading it.

~Amy
Just so we are clear, you know that was actually Chael Sonnen who said that....I was just being a wise-guy...
Old 08-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just so we are clear, you know that was actually Chael Sonnen who said that....I was just being a wise-guy...
Oh ok. I was starting to think you were um....gross. I knew Chael was gross a long time ago.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Oh ok. I was starting to think you were um....gross. I knew Chael was gross a long time ago.

~Amy

Those last two lines should have been a dead give away, but I purposely didn't quote him just to kinda throw people off...
Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:

~Amy
When I first started training at Revolution, there was a guy (Brian) who had come in to roll with a scraped up arm & (SPOILER ALERT!!!) got staph. Ever since then, Andrew (my coach) has been hardcore about cleanliness. Even though Brian was basically begging to get staph, Andrew still recquires that you were a clean gi to every class (even if you do the 5:30 beginners calss followed by the 8pm advanced class), absolutely no shoes on mat, no bare feet in the bathrooms, sweeps & mops after each& every class, etc.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
When I first started training at Revolution, there was a guy (Brian) who had come in to roll with a scraped up arm & (SPOILER ALERT!!!) got staph. Ever since then, Andrew (my coach) has been hardcore about cleanliness. Even though Brian was basically begging to get staph, Andrew still recquires that you were a clean gi to every class (even if you do the 5:30 beginners calss followed by the 8pm advanced class), absolutely no shoes on mat, no bare feet in the bathrooms, sweeps & mops after each& every class, etc.
I need to get you a bottle of good chlorhexidine soap to use in case you have a scratch or scrape or cut and go roll anyway. You can just wash the area with it and it'll clean it all right up and decrease any risk you might have of getting an infection. If you want, now that you are earning a few of your own pennies, you can go to walmart and look in the first aid aisle for a bottle of "hibiclens". It's the name brand. It's a little pricey but you only need a very small amount and you can wash just the area that you are worried about. Works like a charm and does not sting!

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Was that staph or a tape worm? Jeeeez lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I told you dude! It's hideous!!
I hope you guys never have to do wound care.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I hope you guys never have to do wound care.

Ben would think it is cool.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-18-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I was beginning to wonder what JB was smoking.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Ben would think it is cool.

~Amy
And probably make a video for us to enjoy!