Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:06 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Doesn't matter, it was illegally applied and against the rules. Video shows the transfer of hands from the face > shoulders > back.
Same thing for fighters who are caught with illegal substances in there system, why should they see 6 months to a year ban when they didn't even last 10 seconds in the fight.

Your argument is that the grease didn't have much or any bearing on the fight. Neither does the guy pissing pos then seeing lights out 10 seconds later.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE it when people keep saying it didn't effect the outcome of the fight.

IT DOESN'T MATTER, its still cheating!!!

We might as well not take points for illegal blows, or for fence grabbing, etc..
Because every winner could just claim that they would have won anyway,
so what does it matter if it doesn't change the outcome of the fight???

Its a stupid argument to make the Vaseline thing sound not so bad
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It stands to reason that whether it had an outcome on the fight or not is perfectly relevant.

The commision came in and WHIPED the grease off after the incident. They didn't disqualify GSP at that point so they shouldn't be able to do it now. After the Grease is whiped off BJ is still completely ineffective in every way.

Your right it is no different then an illegal blow. They take their five minutes and then the fight continue. GSP was whiped and then continued.


BJ got his ass whooped and his legion of fans are having trouble swallowing it. I get it and I know how you feel.


What exactly do you want to happen? You want BJ to get a rematch or something? WHY? What is the point. GSP embarrased BJ in everyway. Another fight would prove nothing except what everyone already knows BJ = go to lightweight and stay there fatty.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
After the Grease is whiped off BJ is still completely ineffective in every way.

Your right it is no different then an illegal blow. They take their five minutes and then the fight continue. GSP was whiped and then continued.

BJ got his ass whooped and his legion of fans are having trouble swallowing it. I get it and I know how you feel.

What exactly do you want to happen? You want BJ to get a rematch or something? WHY? What is the point. GSP embarrased BJ in everyway. Another fight would prove nothing except what everyone already knows BJ = go to lightweight and stay there fatty.
I actually do not want a rematch, I want bj to stay at LW.

and I do not have a problem with him losing, I have a problem with how people and GSP have treated this whole situation, not taking it seriously and just pointing out its because BJ had lost.

I would like you to apply vasoline to yourself, and then give a wipe with a towel.
See if it all comes off, or if its a pain in the ass and you're still greasy all day.
vasoline just doesn't wipe off with a dry towel and thats it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

it'll be interesting to see the Alves fight now that GSP won't be greased......unless he lotions up the night before, LOL.

he better win emphatically or else everyone will say that it was the grease that helped him against Penn.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 PM
lc87
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
it'll be interesting to see the Alves fight now that GSP won't be greased......unless he lotions up the night before, LOL.

he better win emphatically or else everyone will say that it was the grease that helped him against Penn.
Who knows that might have been his key to winning all of his fights in the past we just now have video evidence of it .
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
TDPARKASH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Steriods is not the same thing as GREASING. As i have mentioned earlier, the owness of steriods falls on the fighter. In this case, it falls on the corner. However, if GSP was aware of it, then on the fighter and it was pre-empt.

cheating is not the same thing as a mistake. Can you use steriods by mistake? NO grey area

Can your corner be careless in his application of vaseline and not rub his hands off? Yes.........it it was pre-empt, then NO grey area.

I don't know if people are mising the point here regarding pre-empt.




Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
Doesn't matter, it was illegally applied and against the rules. Video shows the transfer of hands from the face > shoulders > back.
Same thing for fighters who are caught with illegal substances in there system, why should they see 6 months to a year ban when they didn't even last 10 seconds in the fight.

Your argument is that the grease didn't have much or any bearing on the fight. Neither does the guy pissing pos then seeing lights out 10 seconds later.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,588
Default

The case may ultimately die without any ramifications to GSP and his camp, but I don't think it's a waste of time.

They definitely need to implement new rules about who applies the vaseline and who goes in the cage in between rounds. This needs to be for all fights no matter where they take place--not just in certain states/countries...

I don't care for GSP or BJ Penn, but I do care if someone does something (intentional or not) to give himself an unfair advantage. That is cheating! I don't care how you want to quibble about how much or little vaseline was there or that it wasn't intentional.

BJ Penn is the most flexible fighter I've seen to date in the cage. He's like a rubber man and he should have been able to get his legs up there at that point in the fight, but they kept slipping down. He does seem to gas fast when he's come up to 170 and GSP more than likely would have won. But, I didn't expect to see such an overwhelming one-sided fight. So I definitely think the grease affected his ability to do what he does best.

What's been shocking to me is that people for GSP (in this particular case) have just wanted to blow it all off by saying, "oh it was just a miniscule amount or it wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome, it wasn't intentional or BJ Penn always whines when he loses (which does look to be true), etc...". None of that is the point! The point is did he have an unfair advantage against his opponent due to something that was done by him or his camp (intentional or not!)!

I doubt any investigation will end up accusing GSP of cheating, but I do hope it changes things so that it eliminates or at least makes it harder for this type of thing to happen. It's to GSP's or any fighter's benefit to make sure there's no ? hanging over his/their win(s).

Winning is great! Losing sucks! But if you win by cheating, you're still a LOSER! (IMHO)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Baby Jay just needs to quit being a baby.
This is GSPs response...he should have let it go...because the commissioner aggreed INDEPENDANTLYU of Penn AT the time.

Nurse should go, Jackson should appologise and Georges should be Stripped

I'm kidding about the last bit obviously
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE it when people keep saying it didn't effect the outcome of the fight.

IT DOESN'T MATTER, its still cheating!!!

We might as well not take points for illegal blows, or for fence grabbing, etc..
Because every winner could just claim that they would have won anyway,
so what does it matter if it doesn't change the outcome of the fight???

Its a stupid argument to make the Vaseline thing sound not so bad

Well.. at best.. it was a minimal effect on the fight..

And some people (not you) want to complain that it was intentional.. and that I don't really see.. but granted.. GSP seems to have a slight history in this regard.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.