Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-14-2010, 04:56 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Shane Carwin linked to steroid use

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/08/phar...ala_stero.html

Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. -- A federal judge today handed down a 4-year prison term to a local pharmacist convicted of participating in a nationwide conspiracy to illegally sell anabolic steroids made in Mobile.

J. Michael Bennett, who was supervising pharmacist at Applied Pharmacy Services, was the first to be sentenced from a group of 5 men found guilty after a five-week trial earlier this year. His punishment was less than half of the 7 years and 4 months sought by prosecutors.

J Michael Bennett.JPGView full sizeJ. Michael Bennett ... gets four years in steroids case.
"I stand before you a different man than the one who worked for APS in 2005, even than the one who stood before the magistrate (judge) in 2007," a chastened Bennett told U.S. District Judge Ginny Granade. "I had no idea what I was doing was inappropriate."

Bennett's co-defendants, the owners of the pharmacy and an anti-aging clinic owner, are scheduled to be sentenced at a later date, and Granade suggested they face stiffer punishment.

"I don't think in the overall scheme of things, (Bennett's) culpability matches that of the pharmacy owners," the judge said.

Prosecutors referred to Bennett, 44, and the others in a sentencing memorandum as a "drug dealers in lab coats." They contended that Bennett played a key role in an enterprise involving rogue doctors and health clinics across the country who used the compounding pharmacy to supply healthy adults with dangerous steroids.

Some of those substances were veterinary drugs approved only for use in livestock.

"These are steroids for horses and cows, not for young people and humans," Assistant U.S. Attorney Donna Dobbins said.

According to court records, Applied Pharmacy Services shipped 762,388 dosages to 17 doctors and clinics from April 4, 2004, until Aug. 30, 2006. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Mobile contends that does not include many other doctors and clinics that they say participated in the conspiracy.

Those performance-enhancing drugs ended up in the hands of users ranging from professional athletes to teenagers looking to build body mass. Prosecutors cited 22 professional athletes who obtained steroids from Applied Pharmacy Services during the time Bennett worked there.

In court today, Dobbins named seven whose orders included Bennett's signature or initials:

* Shane Carwin, a former NCAA Division II wrestling champion who went on to become an Ultimate Fighting heavyweight champion.

* Kurt Angle, a former Olympic gold medal-winning wrestler and professional wrestler.

* Bob Howard, a pro wrestler from Mobile who performed under the name "Hardcore" Bob Holly.

* Tony Freeman, a professional bodybuilder nicknamed "The X-Man."

* Quincy Taylor, a professional bodybuilder.

* Dennis Newman, a professional bodybuilder.

* Troy Zuccolotto, a professional bodybuilder.

Court documents reference 6 other professional bodybuilders, 7 professional wrestlers and 2 professional baseball players by their initials only.

Dobbins pointed to intercepted phone conversations showing Bennett taking an active role in the operation, speaking with co-defendant Brett W. Branch, who brokered many of the steroids sales.

"As the supervising pharmacist, he was the one in charge," she said. "We expect and rely on the pharmacist to make sure what we are given is save, effective and legal."

Dobbins pointed to testimony from about a half-dozen people who described side effects ranging from an intense burning feeling on their flesh to shrinkage of their testicles to depression to quarter-sized acne on their backs.

Dobbins said users "suffered severe -- in some cases permanent -- side effects."
Old 08-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Sgtchawk

Too bad that steroids can't defend against a basic choke hold...lol

Last edited by Sgtchawk; 08-14-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:04 PM
rearnakedchoke

as long as he is clean when he fights in the UFC, i guess that is all that matters ...
Old 08-14-2010, 07:35 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
as long as he is clean when he fights in the UFC, i guess that is all that matters ...
In my opinion, testing needs to be more extensive and it should be done randomly throughout the year weather a person is fighting or not. Saying "as long as they are clean when they fight" doesn't work in this age of designer drugs and ways to beat the testing.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM
sunshine_jkd

this is in no way surprising to me. If you watch some of Carwin's older pre-ufc fights he is a wall of pure muscle and in some fights close to or over 300lbs. A far cry from the physic he has now. I still like him though. He seems like a good guy and I like watching him fight.

I also believe that he stopped taking steroids,..and therefor his body mass decreases substantially when he started in the ufc. His early fights he weighed in the 250lb region and I think was probably satisfied to be there (considering he was still winning). In my opinion....as he kept winning,....I think there was a lot of pressure from the ufc for him to increase his size again so they could promote him as a "giant" when it came time for the Lesnar showdown. If you look back,...I think the Lesnar and Mir fights were the only ones that he actually weighed in over 260lbs. I am right on that?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:40 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_jkd View Post
I also believe that he stopped taking steroids
Honestly, until proper testing in instituted and there is an actual WANT to really clean up this sport and other sports, we will never really know. Even then, there are ways around the testing. However, with the way testing works now, it's almost nothing more than a formality and the culture of PED use will continue to pollute the sport. It seems there is really very little interest in actually addressing the problems on the side of promoters or the athletic commissions.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:44 PM
logrus

What a waste of time, money and energy. There are far worse and more dangerous drugs floating around in the US. The US also has a lot more to worry about and deal with in this point and time that steroids are no where close.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
In my opinion, testing needs to be more extensive and it should be done randomly throughout the year weather a person is fighting or not. Saying "as long as they are clean when they fight" doesn't work in this age of designer drugs and ways to beat the testing.
yeah, sorry, let me clarify ... i meant that if he did roids in the past, that is one thing ... but he should not be doing it now as a UFC fighter ... i think taking roids is cheating .... whether or not in the "offseason" or not ...
Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
What a waste of time, money and energy. There are far worse and more dangerous drugs floating around in the US. The US also has a lot more to worry about and deal with in this point and time that steroids are no where close.
C'mon though bro, even if steroids aren't crack/cocaine, you still can't throw on a lab coat and sell whatever you want to whoever you want. There are thousands of teenagers getting drunk this weekend and it's not the end of the world, but the people who sold them the booze should still be punished to some degree.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:51 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_jkd View Post
this is in no way surprising to me. If you watch some of Carwin's older pre-ufc fights he is a wall of pure muscle and in some fights close to or over 300lbs. A far cry from the physic he has now. I still like him though. He seems like a good guy and I like watching him fight.

I also believe that he stopped taking steroids,..and therefor his body mass decreases substantially when he started in the ufc. His early fights he weighed in the 250lb region and I think was probably satisfied to be there (considering he was still winning). In my opinion....as he kept winning,....I think there was a lot of pressure from the ufc for him to increase his size again so they could promote him as a "giant" when it came time for the Lesnar showdown. If you look back,...I think the Lesnar and Mir fights were the only ones that he actually weighed in over 260lbs. I am right on that?
You really don't lose a ton of mass after steroids then some people think, it really is dependent on the cycles and how long a person is on the cycle. Also is dependent on how you train and the constant shuttling of nutrients to your system.