Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 08-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I agree. I would love to see Matt avenge that loss and kick Alves up to middleweight. I strongly suspect that Alves uses anabolic steroids. He was caught using banned diuretics. He has disrespected several opponents by missing weight. I don't know if it is possible, but I wish Matt could have a contract stipulation that Alves begin random drug testing several months prior to the fight. He is probably doing cycles of steroids and/or Growth Hormone treatments in the months leading up to the fight. Also, demand a higher penalty for being overweight and force Alves to take extra time to cut the weight, rather than accept the penalty and stop the weight cut. It won't happen, but it would be nice.
I say that his next fight has the stipulation that he forfeit his entire purse if he doesn't make weight. THAT would motivate him.......I wouldn't do this for others, just him for now.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Here are Alves' own words on the matter:

Quote:
At that point, according to Alves, he was prepared to cut the remaining weight. He says a sauna suit was on the way to him until he was told he had another option. A commission official informed him that he could either lose the remaining half-pound or accept a fine that would penalize him 20 percent of his purse.

His contracted salary was $60,000, meaning he'd forfeit $12,000 for the half-pound, but at the time, he saw it as a fair tradeoff.

"It was just a half-pound, so I'm sure my body could have flushed it out," he said. "But I didn't want to. I just wanted to concentrate on the fight. It was just easier for me to give up the money. Yes, we fight for money, but you also fight to win, and at the time, I was thinking I didn't want to cut the weight. I was just focused on getting ready to fight. When you're cutting weight and dehydrated, you don't always think right. In the future, that won't happen again. It can't happen again."
Looks like his honor is only worth 12Gs to him.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Stump Rules!

Didn't he say that the last time?

" that won't happen again. It can't happen again"

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Chuck

To be honest I'd like to see a Hughes/Alves rematch play out like this....

Alves will struggle and make weight.. he HAS to or Dana will bump him or cut him... Alves works his butt off to cut weight and comes in right at the WW limit....

Matt steps on the scales feeling GREAT and weighing.... oh I don't know... how about 185lbs or so...

Alves loses all that weight for nothing and Matt says "ooops"....

Now of course I know Matt's honor and integrity would keep him from ever doing that but if he did... I'd sure enjoy it!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
To be honest I'd like to see a Hughes/Alves rematch play out like this....

Alves will struggle and make weight.. he HAS to or Dana will bump him or cut him... Alves works his butt off to cut weight and comes in right at the WW limit....

Matt steps on the scales feeling GREAT and weighing.... oh I don't know... how about 185lbs or so...

Alves loses all that weight for nothing and Matt says "ooops"....

Now of course I know Matt's honor and integrity would keep him from ever doing that but if he did... I'd sure enjoy it!!!!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Hughes fanboy

Alves is one of the most boring fighters in MMA. I'd hate for Matt to rematch him and not get someone more entertaining to watch.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/