Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default My first Jits Tourney

I know I've started about 1 training log for every month I've been a member of this site, so I'm not doing that again. Instead, I'm just going to announce that I've begun training for this:

This one's not a training log, I promise! I'm hoping to compete in the novice (< 9months training) Super-heavyweight (202.1 – 215.0) & absolute divisions for gi & no-gi. I will have 11 full weeks to prepare for this and have asked a friend (personal trainer w/ a BS in Exercise Science) to make a work-out program & nutrition plan. Health permitting, I'll be training 4-5 days a week, approx 11 (8 BJJ/3 MT) classes.

Like I said, this isn't a training log, so I won't be posting regularly, but if anyone's got any questions or ESPECIALLY if you've got some advice, I'd love to hear it!!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Chuck

Win.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 PM

you'll get out of it, whatever you put into it!
Work hard and you'll do great!

[
Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Blade

Hope you find a nice pair...oh wait, I read that wrong
Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 AM

Best of luck to you, Ben, you've set yourself some fine goals! I didn't realize you would be competing in that weight class.

And, uh...I also misread the thread title at first...
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 AM
surveyorshawn

If must fight, win!

Seriously, superheavywt is officially 207.5-221 if they are following IBJJ Federation rules. I fight at 219, and I compete at superheavyweight. Here is the best advice of all....don't cut weight and definitely play the points game. Stick to the basics. Novice divisions should have 5 min rounds. Adrenaline will make you gas much quicker than you think in your first tournaments, so train at least 10 min rounds. We trained 15 min rounds going in and none of our guys gassed at all. We did like a round robin for that. For example, if it was your round, I would roll with you for 5 min, then, with you getting no break, Nate would take my place for 5 min, then Mike would come in for the final 5 min. After that, Mike would stay in and you would go out and get replaced so Mike would be in for 15 total min. If you are just working into that, take a 1 or 2 min break between rounds and gradually decrease the break. And remember, points, points, points!! Get the points first, then try submissions when you are ahead enough that if you lose position and your opponent gains some points it won't matter.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 AM
logrus

Your training logs start out great and fizzle out, all 100 threads of them lol. Good luck with the training Ill be rooting for you..
Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Hope you find a nice pair...oh wait, I read that wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Best of luck to you, Ben, you've set yourself some fine goals! I didn't realize you would be competing in that weight class.

And, uh...I also misread the thread title at first...
PERVS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
If must fight, win!

Seriously, superheavywt is officially 207.5-221 if they are following IBJJ Federation rules. I fight at 219, and I compete at superheavyweight. Here is the best advice of all....don't cut weight and definitely play the points game. Stick to the basics. Novice divisions should have 5 min rounds. Adrenaline will make you gas much quicker than you think in your first tournaments, so train at least 10 min rounds. We trained 15 min rounds going in and none of our guys gassed at all. We did like a round robin for that. For example, if it was your round, I would roll with you for 5 min, then, with you getting no break, Nate would take my place for 5 min, then Mike would come in for the final 5 min. After that, Mike would stay in and you would go out and get replaced so Mike would be in for 15 total min. If you are just working into that, take a 1 or 2 min break between rounds and gradually decrease the break. And remember, points, points, points!! Get the points first, then try submissions when you are ahead enough that if you lose position and your opponent gains some points it won't matter.
Awesome advice, man, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Your training logs start out great and fizzle out, all 100 threads of them lol. Good luck with the training Ill be rooting for you..
That's why this isn't a training log!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Everytime I look at the thread, I keep reading "My first Tits Tourney". It always makes me take a second like at the title.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Everytime I look at the thread, I keep reading "My first Tits Tourney". It always makes me take a second like at the title.
Do I know how to real in viewers or what?

Dana should hire me to help out with TUF!!!