Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default MMA Journalists Eating Crow

I've decided to begin compiling all the articles I can find of "experts" havin to eat their words concerning Matt. Those that contain info about other fighters have been editted so that only the bits pertaining to Matt remain.

WKR (http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2010/8/...ers-and-losers) -
Quote:
UFC 117's Winners and Losers

There have been many times where a UFC card has looked stacked on paper only to turn out to be completely underwhelming in actuality. Thankfully, UFC 117 was not one of those cards.

After a slow start with the mundane event that was UFC 114, fans have been treated to a sensational summer of UFC PPV cards, as UFC 115, 116, and now, 117, have delivered all the drama any fan could reasonably ask for. While it's unfortunate that we weren't shown more action from the undercard, that's a minor quibble when what we did get was so enthralling.

Don't be misled by the title, if you're looking for the quick results, here they are. What I'm presenting to you are the real winners and losers from last night's epic event:

Winners:
Matt Hughes: Written off for the last couple years as little more than a novelty, Hughes showed that he still has what it takes to actually finish an opponent and not just top-control his way to a boring decision. I'm not saying that he'll become champion again, however by defeating a legitimate opponent en route to notching his third consecutive victory, he's once again relevant in the welterweight division.

Losers:
Renzo Gracie Black Belts: Matt Hughes: 3 -- Renzo Gracie Black Belts: 0. Chalk up another victory for Hughes as he made it three in a row over Renzo Gracie and his students by submitting Ricardo Almeida in the first round. Not sure who else from Renzo's Academy that Hughes can fight but it looks like it might be awhile before they have another shot at revenge.

Last edited by VCURamFan; 08-10-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

WKR (http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2010/8/...-depth-summary) -
Quote:
UFC 117: In-Depth Summary

Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida

Following Dos Santos and Nelson, UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes choked out Ricardo Almeida in the first round, easily one of the most impressive showings he's had in years. After catching Almeida with a vicious (especially for Matt Hughes) left hook, Hughes pounced, and locked in a choke he later claimed he learned from wrestling, then told Joe Rogan that it felt good to beat a good Brazilian with a wrestling choke.

Where does this put Matt Hughes? Good question. It's time for him to rematch Dennis Hallman. No question in my mind, that's the match that needs to be made. With Hallman beating Ben Saunders tonight, the timing is perfect, and the match up is great. Make it happen Joe Silva.

Last edited by VCURamFan; 08-10-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Referring to the picture.. Ahhhhh
Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Default http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12272&zoneid=13

MMAWeekly (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...2272&zoneid=13) -
Quote:
HUGHES OPTS FOR HUNTING IN 2010, RETURNS 2011

If anyone wondered where Matt Hughes belonged in the UFC's welterweight division, no one can tell the multi-time champion and now UFC hall of famer that it's not right near the top among the best in the division.

Hughes once again showed that he can go with the best as he submitted Brazilian Jiu-Jitzu black belt Ricardo Almeida in the first round of their match-up at UFC 117 on Saturday.

Over the last few years, Hughes has mentioned the possibility of retirement, and following a knockout loss to Thiago Alves, even more people told the Illinois fighter maybe it was time to call it a day.

Hughes wasn't listening, and it's a good thing. The one-time Pat Miletich trained fighter has now won three fights in a row including a victory over former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra, and a win over his coach and mentor Renzo Gracie.

One person who never doubted what Hughes was still capable of was UFC president Dana White, who sat back in awe once again as the farm boy from Illinois put on a great performance to get his 18th win inside the Octagon.

"I never thought that," White said about Hughes calling it a career anytime soon. "Hughes' last fight against Renzo Gracie, Hughes is one of these guys, I'll just put it this way – Hughes is one of these guys, and has always been one of these guys that no matter what happens to him or what's going on in his life, he never says no to a fight. He's never turned down a fight, he always takes fights, and I'll just leave it at that."

If someone questions Hughes' relevancy in the division look no further that the only three losses he's suffered over the last six years. He's lost to current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, former champion B.J. Penn, and top five ranked fighter Thiago Alves. Outside of those fights, Hughes has won every match-up he's been involved in.

Following the fight with Almeida, Hughes did say he's due some time off, and plans on spending it with his family and one of his other favorite past times, hunting.

"I'll be real honest, I'm going to take this fall off, I'm going to do some hunting, and then early next year I'll talk with the UFC, and we'll figure out what we're going to do," Hughes said after the win.

The welterweight division is coming up on some major fights to close out 2010 including the debut of Jake Shields, as well as the title fight between St. Pierre and top contender Josh Koscheck. Whenever Hughes returns in 2011, he'll fit in just fine and there will always be a tough fight for him when he's ready to fight again.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Referring to the picture.. Ahhhhh
That's what I say!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Matt Hughes: 3 -- Renzo Gracie Black Belts: 0
I love it!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

MMAFighting (http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/08/0...st-of-ufc-117/) -
Quote:
Falling Action: Best and Worst of UFC 117

Still Surprisingly Relevant: Matt Hughes
While the Dave Schultz-esque front headlock he used to put Ricardo Almeida to sleep still lacks a catchy name (though I've heard 'Farmaconda' tossed around some, and I like it), Hughes' win proved that he's still a force to be reckoned with in the welterweight division. As long as GSP is still active he'll probably never be champ again, but so what? There are still some interesting fights out there for him, and he seems perfectly willing to keep taking them...after hunting season is over.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:08 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

MMAJournalist (http://mmajournalist.blogspot.com/20...h-ufc-117.html) -

Quote:
Observations from My Couch: UFC 117 "Ultimate Heartbreak"
People always talk about Ricardo Almeida’s jiu-jitsu black belt and accomplishments in the world of submission grappling. Often overlooked, though, is Matt Hughes’ black belt in wrestling.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Fighters.com (http://www.fighters.com/08/09/a-coun...?submit_foot=f) -

Quote:
A Country Boy Can Survive: Matt Hughes Will Make One More Run at UFC Welterweight Gold
Matt Hughes epitomizes his signature walkout music, “A Country Boy Can Survive” by Hank Williams, Jr. This is a man that has tasted both the highest of highs and the lowest of lows in a career that dates back to 1998. With his recent win against Ricardo Almeida being his forty-fifth win out of fifty-two professional fights, and his third win in a row, Matt Hughes continues to prove that he’s got a whole lot of gas left in his tank, despite earlier calls for him to retire given his two back-to-back and quite humbling losses to Georges St. Pierre in 2007 and Thiago Alves in 2008. Now a member of the UFC Hall of Fame, I think Hughes is destined for another Welterweight Title shot for one simple reason: because he doesn’t want it anymore.

If his post-fight interview after submitting Ricardo Almeida is any indication, Hughes has adopted the same mentality that has led to Randy Couture being able to still compete at a high level despite his age: he knows he has nothing left to prove, and simply wants to fight to stay competitive. He jokingly referenced that being in the UFC Hall of Fame but still actively competing put some pressure on him, but he seems to be taking it in stride. In the past, Hughes had put so much pressure on himself and been so obsessed with getting (and keeping) the UFC Welterweight Championship that it eventually caused him to overlook opponents. I know it seems paradoxical that having no championship aspirations is beneficial to your career, but for Matt Hughes, this is actually a great mentality for him to have.

I don’t want to say that Hughes doesn’t care anymore, though. Of course he cares. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be fighting anymore. I have no doubt about that. It’s just that his focus has shifted. Instead of constantly being in pursuit of the Welterweight championship, Hughes seems to be focused on seeing how long he can compete at an elite level, just to prove that he can. He knows that his legacy is set in stone, and because of this he can start having a little fun, which comes in the form of trying crazy things like the submission he used to choke out Almeida (which I don’t think anyone saw coming). With relatively little pressure, and with a willingness to try things he wouldn’t try before because he was too focused on winning, Matt’s natural ability will continue to shine through.

That’s why I think one more UFC Welterweight Championship opportunity is in store for Matt Hughes. He no longer needs the belt to cement his legacy, but he’s still one of the best Welterweights in the UFC, as well as one of the best Welterweights in history. In the here and now, with a three-fight win-streak against some excellent competition, Matt Hughes is only a few fights away from getting one more shot at the gold. I won’t say “one last” because honestly, who can tell in today’s crazy MMA landscape? If 2010 has proved anything, it’s that no man is unbeatable in MMA. With a fresh attitude, some of the best wrestling and Ground and Pound ever seen in the UFC, and with the willingness to go out and try something he’s never tried before just for the hell of it, I firmly believe that Matt Hughes is right in the middle of one of the biggest comebacks we’ll ever see in Mixed Martial Arts.

And what do you think, fans and friends? Is Hughes destined to hold the UFC Welterweight Championship one more time, or is it time for him to retire? Also, what are some opponents that you’d like to see Matt Hughes face in order to prove that he’s ready for another shot at the gold?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

CagePotato (http://www.cagepotato.com/five-thing...earned-ufc-117) -

Quote:
Five Things We Learned at UFC 117

Matt Hughes Is Still a Threat
When Hughes suffered back-to-back losses to Georges St. Pierre (at UFC 79) and Thiago Alves (at UFC 85), it seemed that his days as a competitor were swirling down the drain. Hughes's blanket-ish return performance against Matt Serra didn't prove much, considering Serra's injuries and ring rust, and his beatdown of Renzo Gracie in Abu Dhabi said more about the loser than the winner. But smashing Ricardo Almeida standing, then choking him out with a front headlock in the first round? That's a huge feather in Hughes's cap. This was not a "master's division"-type fight; Almeida was a legitimate welterweight player, who was coming off his third consecutive win against Matt Brown at UFC 111. Hughes may be more interested in hunting than fighting at this point, but he's a contender again. The question is: Which Gracie-associated fighter can he get next?