Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 PM

Default EBAY/ AUCTION ADVICE NEEDED

Hey there all you experienced seller/auctioners/sports memorabilia conneiseurs...I NEED HELP!!!

Back story
last Friday I played a gig with this Irish band in NJ. The gig was a fundraiser for a guy in NJ that is stuck in the hospital for last three years because his insurance won't cover home healthcare. He has some sort of affliction that requires him to breath thru a machine, and be in a wheelchair but other that that he is good. he eats solid food, talks and can get up and walk around for short spells.
A bunch of his friends threw a Golf Outting/ dinner/concert for him to raise money and hopefully help with some of his expenses. Judging by the turnout he is a great guy and his friends will do anything for him.
His son is about 8-10 years old and has really had to grow up fast the past few years. I got to talk ot him a little bit and he is a great kid. He even did a little Irish Jig for us!

Well at the fundraiser they had a bunch of raffle prizes. Big screen TV, golf clubs, silver sets, GPS systems, etc. I decided to put in 5 bucks for the raffle and threw my ticket into the box to win an autographed football from Eli manning (with certificate of authenticity). When I put my ticket in I told my buddy "if I win that thing I should put it on Ebay and see what I can get for it to donate to Mikes' hospital expenses". Well God must have decided to test my follow-though because wouldn't you know...I WON!!

So...
I need help getting top dollar for this thing. Who has experience selling items like this?
I've given a call to a couple BIG TIME Giants fans and they don't have the cash, so I'm going to try EBay or something like that.

any advice would be VERY APPRECIATED.

On a side not they did a 50/50 raffle that saw the final prize as 3,00 dollars. One of Mike's good buddies won the prize and without flinching handed it over to Mike and his family. it was awesome.

[
Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Jeff Crow has a lot of experience with this stuff. You should PM him and ask his advice.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Jeff Crow has a lot of experience with this stuff. You should PM him and ask his advice.

~Amy
Thanks Amy

[
Old 08-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Twinsmama

That's so nice that you won the football and his close friend won the money. it's a little sneaky but i'm sure it was a setup.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Stump Rules!

Mac knows all things eBay too Mark.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 08-10-2010, 04:00 AM
3dlee

I do have a bit of experience with Ebay. If ya need someone to set it up for ya, let me know and id do it for free. I just took a peek at ebay and right now the going rate on there for an Eli signed football is 3-5 hundred with a buy now price. If I were you, I'd put the entire story on there that all procedes will be going to charity and include the story and start the bidding at 100 to 150 dollars and see if you can find a big Giants fan with a big heart. If it were Peyton, Id offer 500 for it today. Another option is to post it on Craigslist and see if you can find somebody local so you don't have deal with shipping and everything else. Either way, the key to sell online is lots of PICTURES from all different angles of the ball, and go ahead and get the COA framed.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:09 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Hey there all you experienced seller/auctioners/sports memorabilia conneiseurs...I NEED HELP!!!

Back story
last Friday I played a gig with this Irish band in NJ. The gig was a fundraiser for a guy in NJ that is stuck in the hospital for last three years because his insurance won't cover home healthcare. He has some sort of affliction that requires him to breath thru a machine, and be in a wheelchair but other that that he is good. he eats solid food, talks and can get up and walk around for short spells.
A bunch of his friends threw a Golf Outting/ dinner/concert for him to raise money and hopefully help with some of his expenses. Judging by the turnout he is a great guy and his friends will do anything for him.
His son is about 8-10 years old and has really had to grow up fast the past few years. I got to talk ot him a little bit and he is a great kid. He even did a little Irish Jig for us!

Well at the fundraiser they had a bunch of raffle prizes. Big screen TV, golf clubs, silver sets, GPS systems, etc. I decided to put in 5 bucks for the raffle and threw my ticket into the box to win an autographed football from Eli manning (with certificate of authenticity). When I put my ticket in I told my buddy "if I win that thing I should put it on Ebay and see what I can get for it to donate to Mikes' hospital expenses". Well God must have decided to test my follow-though because wouldn't you know...I WON!!

So...
I need help getting top dollar for this thing. Who has experience selling items like this?
I've given a call to a couple BIG TIME Giants fans and they don't have the cash, so I'm going to try EBay or something like that.

any advice would be VERY APPRECIATED.

On a side not they did a 50/50 raffle that saw the final prize as 3,00 dollars. One of Mike's good buddies won the prize and without flinching handed it over to Mike and his family. it was awesome.
Include the backstory...have at least 4 pictures, I know from being a buyer and selller also, that the more pictures there are, the more interest you will get

EBAY has an Eli autographed football for $519.99....I would try to put it in several categories as well(sporting goods, sports memorabilia) this way more people searching through the site will be able to see it.

Start the bidding fairly low at about $100 so people sorting from price low to high will see it fairly soon, but in order to assure that it doesn't sell for really low, put a reserve on it for about $400..I've found in previous auctions, that when there is a reserve in a popular auction it helps induce somewhat of a bidding war and you will be more likely to go above and beyond that reserve.....Offer free shipping as well, it will only cost you like 5 or 6 bucks anyways and for most bidders, they are more interested when they see the free shipping option, its just more enticing...

If it only goes for minimum reserve, that's still $400 up that you never had to spend. If it doesn't make the reserve, then you now have a good idea of what the market it like for the product and you can try craigslist or relist the item...I would suggest a 7 day auction to give ample time for people to view your auction. Also, do not use the buy it now option, with an item like this that has the ability to start a bidding war between fans, a buy it now auction could limit how much you could sell this item for....If you find that the item does not reach the reserve, then maybe the buy it now option would be suitable for a relisted auction.....Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Chris F

I just buy rarely sell but if God helped you win it he will help yoiu get the $$$$ as well. Good luck adn I wish you well and lots of big bids. God belss
Old 08-10-2010, 05:19 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
Include the backstory...have at least 4 pictures, I know from being a buyer and selller also, that the more pictures there are, the more interest you will get

EBAY has an Eli autographed football for $519.99....I would try to put it in several categories as well(sporting goods, sports memorabilia) this way more people searching through the site will be able to see it.

Start the bidding fairly low at about $100 so people sorting from price low to high will see it fairly soon, but in order to assure that it doesn't sell for really low, put a reserve on it for about $400..I've found in previous auctions, that when there is a reserve in a popular auction it helps induce somewhat of a bidding war and you will be more likely to go above and beyond that reserve.....Offer free shipping as well, it will only cost you like 5 or 6 bucks anyways and for most bidders, they are more interested when they see the free shipping option, its just more enticing...

If it only goes for minimum reserve, that's still $400 up that you never had to spend. If it doesn't make the reserve, then you now have a good idea of what the market it like for the product and you can try craigslist or relist the item...I would suggest a 7 day auction to give ample time for people to view your auction. Also, do not use the buy it now option, with an item like this that has the ability to start a bidding war between fans, a buy it now auction could limit how much you could sell this item for....If you find that the item does not reach the reserve, then maybe the buy it now option would be suitable for a relisted auction.....Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK!!!
This is great advice. As a buyer I agree that picture help sway bidders
Old 08-10-2010, 05:32 AM
matthughesfan21

Also for the auction title, include NY Giants or something similar to that, so if you have diehard Giants fans searching ebay for Giants items, this will show up in their search

a title such as "NY Giants Eli Manning Autographed Football w/ COA" should suffice