Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 PM
DonnaMaria

Default Stinky deer!

so..........maybe someone can offer some help.......

my friend Diane had a deer hit on her property and the county can't come and get it until Tuesday...........

and it's a REALLY big deer and it's REALLY hot here.......like 98 degrees........so the deer is even BIGGER than it would be if it were alive...........if you get my drift......

and it's been there since yesterday..........

and Diane has to drive by it to get to her house......

is there anything we can do to make it less stinky until Tuesday? Another friend told us to sprinkle moth balls around it?

is there anything she can do? other than live somewhere else for a few days?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
so..........maybe someone can offer some help.......

my friend Diane had a deer hit on her property and the county can't come and get it until Tuesday...........

and it's a REALLY big deer and it's REALLY hot here.......like 98 degrees........so the deer is even BIGGER than it would be if it were alive...........if you get my drift......

and it's been there since yesterday..........

and Diane has to drive by it to get to her house......

is there anything we can do to make it less stinky until Tuesday? Another friend told us to sprinkle moth balls around it?

is there anything she can do? other than live somewhere else for a few days?
Lob a coupla hundred Lysol cans around it, then call the Hughes brothers in for some target practice.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

The only idea I have is to put kitty litter all over and around it. The litter will soak up the smell as best as anything can but the decomp is gonna happen and it's gonna stink. Sorry.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
surveyorshawn

She could burn it, lol. That would accomplish 2 things: first, it would get rid of the smell and most of the carcass, and second, it would get the county out to her house really fast!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
She could burn it, lol. That would accomplish 2 things: first, it would get rid of the smell and most of the carcass, and second, it would get the county out to her house really fast!

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 AM

it's gonna stink, period.

until it decomposes it will stink, DO NOT IMPEDE it, that will only slow it down, instead do anything you can to speed it up! it won't stink anymore than usual and it will be over faster.

the very very best thing you could do is to cover it with moist compost. the compost already has decomposing bacteria in it and covering it will impede some of the scent from getting away,

correctly done, there is a very real possiblity the deer would be done stinking by tomorrow afternoon
Old 08-09-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:

this

[
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:

ewwwwwwwww...............

but I don't think that would even get county out here!

they told Diane that they had a ton of deer to pick up and she was on the list, but she shouldn't hold her breath. which is ironic since that is exactly what she has to do to get to her house!

they also told her to spray paint the deer orange so it's easier for the road crew to spot and pick up!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:31 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
it's gonna stink, period.

until it decomposes it will stink, DO NOT IMPEDE it, that will only slow it down, instead do anything you can to speed it up! it won't stink anymore than usual and it will be over faster.

the very very best thing you could do is to cover it with moist compost. the compost already has decomposing bacteria in it and covering it will impede some of the scent from getting away,

correctly done, there is a very real possiblity the deer would be done stinking by tomorrow afternoon
oh it's stinky!

she lives two houses down.......about 500 yards.....and i could smell it from my front porch if the wind was blowing in my direction.......

Diane was thinking of digging a big hole and rolling it in.......but i think your idea of covering it would be better........
Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

if it isnt illegal to do so. Burn or burry it...what else would you do with the dead

if thats illegal and noone will come and take it, report it to the police as a health and safety issue, tell them you are worried of the threat of disease, tell them their are children in the area who might get sick.