Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 PM
DonnaMaria
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stinky deer!

so..........maybe someone can offer some help.......

my friend Diane had a deer hit on her property and the county can't come and get it until Tuesday...........

and it's a REALLY big deer and it's REALLY hot here.......like 98 degrees........so the deer is even BIGGER than it would be if it were alive...........if you get my drift......

and it's been there since yesterday..........

and Diane has to drive by it to get to her house......

is there anything we can do to make it less stinky until Tuesday? Another friend told us to sprinkle moth balls around it?

is there anything she can do? other than live somewhere else for a few days?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,312
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
so..........maybe someone can offer some help.......

my friend Diane had a deer hit on her property and the county can't come and get it until Tuesday...........

and it's a REALLY big deer and it's REALLY hot here.......like 98 degrees........so the deer is even BIGGER than it would be if it were alive...........if you get my drift......

and it's been there since yesterday..........

and Diane has to drive by it to get to her house......

is there anything we can do to make it less stinky until Tuesday? Another friend told us to sprinkle moth balls around it?

is there anything she can do? other than live somewhere else for a few days?
Lob a coupla hundred Lysol cans around it, then call the Hughes brothers in for some target practice.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

The only idea I have is to put kitty litter all over and around it. The litter will soak up the smell as best as anything can but the decomp is gonna happen and it's gonna stink. Sorry.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
surveyorshawn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

She could burn it, lol. That would accomplish 2 things: first, it would get rid of the smell and most of the carcass, and second, it would get the county out to her house really fast!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 AM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
She could burn it, lol. That would accomplish 2 things: first, it would get rid of the smell and most of the carcass, and second, it would get the county out to her house really fast!





~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 AM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

it's gonna stink, period.

until it decomposes it will stink, DO NOT IMPEDE it, that will only slow it down, instead do anything you can to speed it up! it won't stink anymore than usual and it will be over faster.

the very very best thing you could do is to cover it with moist compost. the compost already has decomposing bacteria in it and covering it will impede some of the scent from getting away,

correctly done, there is a very real possiblity the deer would be done stinking by tomorrow afternoon
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
She could burn it, lol. That would accomplish 2 things: first, it would get rid of the smell and most of the carcass, and second, it would get the county out to her house really fast!

this
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 AM
DonnaMaria
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
She could burn it, lol. That would accomplish 2 things: first, it would get rid of the smell and most of the carcass, and second, it would get the county out to her house really fast!



ewwwwwwwww...............

but I don't think that would even get county out here!

they told Diane that they had a ton of deer to pick up and she was on the list, but she shouldn't hold her breath. which is ironic since that is exactly what she has to do to get to her house!

they also told her to spray paint the deer orange so it's easier for the road crew to spot and pick up!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2010, 02:31 AM
DonnaMaria
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
it's gonna stink, period.

until it decomposes it will stink, DO NOT IMPEDE it, that will only slow it down, instead do anything you can to speed it up! it won't stink anymore than usual and it will be over faster.

the very very best thing you could do is to cover it with moist compost. the compost already has decomposing bacteria in it and covering it will impede some of the scent from getting away,

correctly done, there is a very real possiblity the deer would be done stinking by tomorrow afternoon
oh it's stinky!

she lives two houses down.......about 500 yards.....and i could smell it from my front porch if the wind was blowing in my direction.......

Diane was thinking of digging a big hole and rolling it in.......but i think your idea of covering it would be better........
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,920
Default

if it isnt illegal to do so. Burn or burry it...what else would you do with the dead

if thats illegal and noone will come and take it, report it to the police as a health and safety issue, tell them you are worried of the threat of disease, tell them their are children in the area who might get sick.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.