Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-08-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Dana is full of sh*t, when Fedor gets beat up and finds a way to win then 'he's overrated, was not impressive at all and looked like sh*t', but when Anderson Silva gets exposed and spannered for nearly 5 rounds and pulls out a late sub, it's a fight that makes him a legend...go figure.
Exactly!
Old 08-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I don't agree with the OP at all. 10 seconds out of 20+ mins does not make one a legend. Puhlease. It certainly doesn't negate all the antics of the past fights that people have been pressing him about. If anything, it only makes it worse. He wasn't able to do anything in the fight to make him a consideration of the title "legend". That's ridiculous to even suggest it.

He won, plain and simple. That's it.

Consider the difference between sodifying Matt as a legend and trying to call AS a legend after these performances.

Matt did something no one else has done to this guy. What did AS do? He got his butt handed to him for almost 25 mins, and then slips on a triangle. A single lapse in concentration from his oponent does not make a legend. Sorry.

If the roles had been reversed, and AS pummled CS for the entire fight, and THEN won, or finished the fight, then we can start considering his stock worth something again. Not after this performance though.
Your kidding right?

It is exactly this performance that makes a legend. When hughes beat GSP first time - he was having a rough time of it and the pulled of a masterful sub. It shows real class to perform when under the cosh. That is a champion, thats what makes legends.

The objective is the win - Sonnen smashed up Anderson, Anderson was almost KO'd in the first. However he hung on showing heart, chin, stamina, guts and courage -he then toook those sort of bombs for 5 Rounds and still remained a threat. He hurt Chael with a shot - he came at him and impressivly cut up Chael from the bottom.

To pull the win out in adversity, whilst in the clutches of defeat is what makes you great not just dominating everyone -which he duly has by the way.

He is a human - he showed tonight he is limited in ability - he does tire, he can beat to the punch its just a shame no one has brought it out against him apart from Chael.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:26 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
Your kidding right?

It is exactly this performance that makes a legend. When hughes beat GSP first time - he was having a rough time of it and the pulled of a masterful sub. It shows real class to perform when under the cosh. That is a champion, thats what makes legends.

The objective is the win - Sonnen smashed up Anderson, Anderson was almost KO'd in the first. However he hung on showing heart, chin, stamina, guts and courage -he then toook those sort of bombs for 5 Rounds and still remained a threat. He hurt Chael with a shot - he came at him and impressivly cut up Chael from the bottom.

To pull the win out in adversity, whilst in the clutches of defeat is what makes you great not just dominating everyone -which he duly has by the way.

He is a human - he showed tonight he is limited in ability - he does tire, he can beat to the punch its just a shame no one has brought it out against him apart from Chael.
sorry man, don't agree .... first off, matt wasn't really having a hard time in that GSP fight ... he was winning that first round .... and that ended in the first round ...

anderson was getting beat in every aspect of the game, stand up, ground .. he got rocked a few times ... he ended up choking out a guy who had been subbed many times before and subbed by a triangle on more than one occasion .. don't get me wrong, i was glad to see anderson win, but he lost that aura of invincibility last nite ...
Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
Your kidding right?

Which means he has a great heart, but does not make him a legend.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:07 PM
sender

YEAHH!!!! Congrats to Matt!

What an awesome win!!!!!

EXTREME!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Wow....Some people have very short or distorted memories.

Anybody who think Silva was exposed hasn't been paying attention.

It's seriously not even worth a lengthy debate because some haters are just gonna hate on Silva no matter what. For real, anybody who denies that the man is a legend in this sport is just crazy.

It's also funny that some people actually believe Sonnen was winning the standup battle because he managed to land a few decent shots. If he was winning the standup battle then why was he so adamant about getting to the ground? Sonnen said himself that "nobody has ever out-striked him", if he felt good on his feet why take it down when he knows he's been subbed out so many times in the past?

Bottom line, Chael had to pitch a perfect game to come out a winner, and in the bottom of the ninth Silva hit a walk off home-run. Back to Oregon where Matt Linland can teach you a better way to pull off the ghost-tap technique to try and cheat your way out of submission. Crow, it's whats for dinner.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:38 PM

I certainly don't hate silva, but he's far from a legend.

Why did he take it down? Why does AS like to stand? That's just a stupid question, and one you already know the answer to

If you think he's a legend, by all means, that's fine by me. I don't think so, and for the reasons I stated.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
sorry man, don't agree .... first off, matt wasn't really having a hard time in that GSP fight ... he was winning that first round .... and that ended in the first round ...

anderson was getting beat in every aspect of the game, stand up, ground .. he got rocked a few times ... he ended up choking out a guy who had been subbed many times before and subbed by a triangle on more than one occasion .. don't get me wrong, i was glad to see anderson win, but he lost that aura of invincibility last nite ...
Yeah I totally agree - the aura has ended - Sonnen beat him down in all departments but Anderson still holds the title - thats legendary!

Then, add Maaia and Sonnen to the list - thats 8 title defenses. Seriously the guy deserves props and right status in UFC Hall of Fame in another few years.

Win Forrest Griffin KO
UFC 101: Declaration 08/08/09 Round 1 3:23
Win Thales Leites Decision (Unanimous)
UFC 97: Redemption
04/18/09 Round 5
Win Patrik Cote TKO(Injury) UFC 90: Silva vs. Cote 10/25/08 Round 3
Win Dan Henderson Submission (RNC) UFC 82 - Pride of a Champion 03/01/2008 Round 2 4:52
Win Rich Franklin TKO (Strikes) UFC 77 - Hostile Territory 10/20/2007 Round 2 1:07
Win Nathan Marquardt TKO (Strikes) UFC 73 - Stacked 7/7/2007 Round 1 4:50
Win Travis Lutter Submission (Strikes) UFC 67-All or Nothing 02/03/2007 Round 2 2:11
Win Rich Franklin TKO (Strikes) UFC 64-Unstoppable 10/14/2006 Round 1 2:59
Win Chris Leben KO (Knee) UFC-Ultimate Fight Night 5 6/28/2006 Round 1 0:49
Old 08-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Wow....Some people have very short or distorted memories.

Anybody who think Silva was exposed hasn't been paying attention.

It's seriously not even worth a lengthy debate because some haters are just gonna hate on Silva no matter what. For real, anybody who denies that the man is a legend in this sport is just crazy.

It's also funny that some people actually believe Sonnen was winning the standup battle because he managed to land a few decent shots. If he was winning the standup battle then why was he so adamant about getting to the ground? Sonnen said himself that "nobody has ever out-striked him", if he felt good on his feet why take it down when he knows he's been subbed out so many times in the past?

Bottom line, Chael had to pitch a perfect game to come out a winner, and in the bottom of the ninth Silva hit a walk off home-run. Back to Oregon where Matt Linland can teach you a better way to pull off the ghost-tap technique to try and cheat your way out of submission. Crow, it's whats for dinner.
Silva was exposed good and proper and so was his chin. He sucks and I look forward to the day when someone knocks him cold.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:47 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I certainly don't hate silva, but he's far from a legend.

Why did he take it down? Why does AS like to stand? That's just a stupid question, and one you already know the answer to

If you think he's a legend, by all means, that's fine by me. I don't think so, and for the reasons I stated.
The point is, Chael wasn't winning the standup game. He wanted no part of the standup game for any real length of time because he knew his only chance of winning was to grind out for 25 minutes. Chael threw everything he had, and it wasn't nearly enough. His sub defense has always been a liability and it was just a matter of time. Silva almost had that kimura locked up at the end of the 2nd round, if that had happened it would be a much different discussion today. Chael did what we knew he could do, but he never really hurt Anderson and wasn't close to putting him away.

Silva's record speaks for itself, but if you wanna fish for reasons to discredit the man then by all means, go right ahead. I just think it's funny that people are acting like Silva was exposed or like Chael Sonnen is something he isn't.