Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 08-07-2010, 03:46 AM

Default Has anyone on the forum taken Advair?

I'd sure appreciate hearing anything about it. I'll just be honest and say I'm paranoid about taking drugs. I try never to read the "possible side effects". My doctor has prescribed this for me to take (it's an inhaler) twice a day for 3 weeks; unfortunately, he told me there were some deaths linked to Advair but that it was from people having an extreme asthma attack and overdosing on it (and I may not even have asthma).

I wouldn't be so leery if he hadn't told me that. Any suggestions would be a big help to me.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:50 AM

I don't HAVE to take it but I am normally a very compliant patient and just want to do the right thing. I'm probably really overreacting but my adverse feelings about taking a new prescription are very real.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 AM
surveyorshawn

Me, my mom, and Abigail, my 14 year old, have taken it with no problems. The only problems at all was that Abigail developed some other weird allergies, such as beef and peanut products, so we had to work around that. I usually kill plenty of deer, so we ate them year round in place of the beef. After she grew out of the asthma and did not have to take the advair anymore, the allergies went away withing a couple of weeks.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:10 AM

Thanks much, Shawn! It's a relief to hear that all three of you took it with no ill-effects.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

My daughter was on Advair for a couple of years for asthma. She has outgrown it now so doesn't have anything other than a rescue inhaler that she hasn't used in over a year. She does have to take zyrtec daily but that's no biggie. Anyway, I would say to try the Advair and see how it goes for you. My daughter did fine with no side effects at all. She started it when she was almost 9 and she's now almost 12.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Oh, that's good, thanks Amy. I feel much better about trying it now.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:22 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was born, and I got immunotherapy shots every week to deal with allergies for many years. I had many attacks and almost died on a few separate occasions. Believe me, if I had to pick a way NOT to die, it would be suffocation because I've basically experienced it and it sucks.

Honestly, I found for myself that controlling asthma was all mental.

They told me I would never be able to live without medication or be able to play sports, and if I ever smoked I would probably just keel over and die on the spot....

They were wrong.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Chuck

My youngest son Daniel is 13 and he takes it without any issues....
Old 08-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I was diagnosed with asthma when I was born, and I got immunotherapy shots every week to deal with allergies for many years. I had many attacks and almost died on a few separate occasions. Believe me, if I had to pick a way NOT to die, it would be suffocation because I've basically experienced it and it sucks.

Honestly, I found for myself that controlling asthma was all mental.

They told me I would never be able to live without medication or be able to play sports, and if I ever smoked I would probably just keel over and die on the spot....

They were wrong.
One of the reasons I started my daughter in Tae Kwon Do was because of her asthma. The two head instructors were very good about watching her during class and if she started feeling "tight" one of them would take her aside and work on breathing exercises to help her out. After just a few months, she quit having problems in class. One of the moms was just aghast that I didn't rush in and do her inhaler with her as soon as she felt a twinge. I told them that if she got in real trouble, she would come out to the parents' area and get it herself and that the instructors were doing what I wanted them to.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-07-2010, 11:34 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
One of the reasons I started my daughter in Tae Kwon Do was because of her asthma. The two head instructors were very good about watching her during class and if she started feeling "tight" one of them would take her aside and work on breathing exercises to help her out. After just a few months, she quit having problems in class. One of the moms was just aghast that I didn't rush in and do her inhaler with her as soon as she felt a twinge. I told them that if she got in real trouble, she would come out to the parents' area and get it herself and that the instructors were doing what I wanted them to.

~Amy
Those steroids in the inhalers and medication can be worse for a person in the long term than the actual asthma attacks are. It's all about controlling your breathing, and the exercises are the best way.