Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 08-07-2010, 12:05 AM
ufcfan2

Default Shootin

Hello,
I've been thinking about picking up a handgun for home/sport shootin with couple of friends. I've never shot a handgun before and haven't shot a rifle in years and that was a 22.
I know lot of ya country folk like to shoot and wondering any advice on what kind,brand and caliber to look at? I figure u guys are pretty knowing of this as well I could ask my friend who definately has an aresonal of rifles etc..
Old 08-07-2010, 01:46 AM

I have a SIG Sauer P220 .45 ACP. I bought a conversion kit so it can be changed to shoot .22LR.

I would recommend that you do some research on the SIG Sauer P250. Here is a description from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The pistol has a modular design. It has an integrated fire control group and rails, and the firearm's serial number is on the fire control group instead of the frame. This allows the operator to exchange the polymer frames to fit different needs. The pistol can be easily converted to other calibers as well.

There are 3 grip module sizes, small, medium, and large, in each of the classifications of full-sized, compact, and subcompact. The same fire control mechanism can be swapped into any of these combinations, and the top ends can be converted from the 9x19mm, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG slide assembly and barrel to the .45 ACP. However, different grip module sizes must be matched with the corresponding caliber conversion uppers. That is to say, you cannot mate a subcompact grip module to a full-sized slide assembly and barrel.
It seems like a versatile gun, but I have not handled it or fired it.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Dethbob

For a first ever handgun, I would personally recommend the Glock 17. They are simple enough that all you have to worry about is ‘front sight, press’, and tough enough to retain some trade-in value when you decide to upgrade to a real gun. The 9mm Parabelum is big enough (barely) for self defense, and the Glock nines look similar to their ‘real’ caliber pistols which may save you some ‘mouse gun’ hazing from your friends. The 9 will also kick enough to familiarize you with the idea of recoil without actually hitting you. Good luck, and good shooting!

Oh, and make sure you look up, memorize, and obey Cooper’s Four Rules!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Dethbob

I would also suggest loading only one round at a time for a couple of shots, just to get the hang of it. Safety glasses and ear plugs are also a good idea.

This article by the inimitable Massad Ayoob should also help: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html
Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]I have a SIG Sauer P220 .45 ACP.

may I see a photograph of it please

you are the last person I would ever imagine armed
Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

may I see a photograph of it please

you are the last person I would ever imagine armed

I don't have a photograph. But this is exactly what it looks like.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I don't have a photograph. But this is exactly what it looks like.
I dont know why I'm laughing...I think its shock
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I dont know why I'm laughing...I think its shock
Unfortunately, I think the self-defense instinct has been bred out of most Europeans and much of "big city" America. I think every law-abiding citizen of a free country should be armed.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:11 PM
surveyorshawn

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think the self-defense instinct has been bred out of most Europeans and much of "big city" America. I think every law-abiding citizen of a free country should be armed.
Hear, hear!! I think you might appreciate my small armory then! Of course, growing up in a rural area like I have, everyone had guns for hunting and self-defense. Almost every pickup you would see had a gun rack in the back window, though not so much anymore. Emily and Ben are too young, but my oldest daughter, Abigail, has three firearms, and has been shooting since she was six, and started going hunting with me when she was four (just sat with me). She took her first buck in Iowa when she was 9. My wife has taken two nice ones as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Rev

Me and Shawn have ALOT in common. lol