Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well, around this time last year about 1 million people found it fitting to pay $50 to see Silva fight Forrest Griffin and Forrest didn't have to run his mouth like Chael. Coincidentally, Forrest got decimated in the first round.

I think the idea that people don't/won't buy cards with Anderson Silva on it is a big myth. The people who say they won't buy it, typically say that everytime a UFC card is less than stellar OR they end up buying it anyway just because they have a new found dislike for Silva that lures their intrigue into forking over the cash in hopes that the next guy will knock Silva off his throne. The people who "actually" stopped buying the cards because of Silva are slim-pickins.
well that was before his antics in saudi arabia and the only thing you could hear about a month after that was how everyone vowed never to buy an AS card again
Old 08-06-2010, 09:27 PM
logrus

Quote:
Jim Rome on "Softball Guy"....priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMfqbR8Ujlk
Old 08-06-2010, 09:37 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
well that was before his antics in saudi arabia and the only thing you could hear about a month after that was how everyone vowed never to buy an AS card again
You are correct about both of those points.

However, this whole thing started in October 08 in Chicago when he fought Cote, and then again when he fought Thales Leites. Some fans have tried to use weak PPV numbers in the Abu-Dhabi card to throw more load on Silva's shoulders, but the truth is that over-seas cards have always done poorly in PPV buyrate because the "live" event happens much earlier in the day and by Saturday night everybody already knows what happened. I remember I was actually having lunch at the Hard Rock cafe in Phoenix the day of that Abu-Dhabi card and I decided to check the sports news from my phone when the whole card was basically spoiled for me at 2 in the afternoon.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:37 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
LOL... "and DON'T send me your email SOFTBALL GUY.... I know how this goes..." Rome is hilarious.

Chael Sonnen must be "likes to lie guy"
Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
You are correct about both of those points.

However, this whole thing started in October 08 in Chicago when he fought Cote, and then again when he fought Thales Leites. Some fans have tried to use weak PPV numbers in the Abu-Dhabi card to throw more load on Silva's shoulders, but the truth is that over-seas cards have always done poorly in PPV buyrate because the "live" event happens much earlier in the day and by Saturday night everybody already knows what happened. I remember I was actually having lunch at the Hard Rock cafe in Phoenix the day of that Abu-Dhabi card and I decided to check the sports news from my phone when the whole card was basically spoiled for me at 2 in the afternoon.
understood, but i still think dana had a talk with sonnen and told him of a nice lockerroom bonus if he makes this thing interesting.....

and i still haven't forgot dana's promise to make it up to the fans

and i'm not sure of an interesting matchup based solely on skills
Old 08-06-2010, 11:34 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
understood, but i still think dana had a talk with sonnen and told him of a nice lockerroom bonus if he makes this thing interesting.....

and i still haven't forgot dana's promise to make it up to the fans

and i'm not sure of an interesting matchup based solely on skills
Dana promises a lot of things....don't hold your breath.

He just came on the Gambo and Ash show here in Phoenix an hour ago and proclaimed AGAIN that the UFC will be coming to Phoenix. He has been promising that for a long time. Oh, now he says it's gonna be a Fight Night and not a PPV. I suppose they really need to "test the market" in the 5th largest city in America, but Oakland California is surely a place that needs a super-card like UFC 117...

Personally, I don't think Dana said anything to Chael to get him to act that way. At the same time, Dana is not going to discourage it either. Obviously Chael's acute case of diarrhea mouth has been an added attraction, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking this PPV is going to be smashing records because of Chael's hype. Will it draw SOME extra fans? Sure, but when it's all said and done it's going to be the OVERALL card that makes more of the hardcore MMA fans shell out their 50 bucks. Mainstream sports people still don't know who Chael Sonnen is even after he blatantly tried to piggy back his name into the spotlight off of Lance Armstrong.

When it comes to what happened on the Abu-Dhabi card, Dana was wrong to come out with the attitude he did and suggest that something else was now "owed" to the fans. You can never "make it up", it's over and it's time to move on. There will always be unsatisfied fans and Dana goes on Twitter all the time and straight up tells fans to "f&*K off!" or "don't buy it", so he knows full well he can't do anything about what happened. What Silva did may be bothersome to some fans, but the level of complaining about it has been blown WAY out of proportion. To be fair, that is the nature of the business and it's headlines. It's not like other sports where a season has daily headlines that drown out yesterdays headlines. A few major stories always dominate MMA discussion for months at time, sometimes longer.

I have been critical of Dana on a lot of stuff, and rightfully so. He is the mouthpiece of this company and puts himself in a position where it always comes right back to him. While I do think Dana lets too much of his personal "fan" attitude come though sometimes, overall I like the guy and I think he is probably the single most important figure in the success of modern MMA. Still, even though I understand his "promoter's mentality", and he seems like he would be a cool guy to sit and have beer with, as a hardcore fan and supporter of the sport I'm going to have my criticisms of his decisions just like any other fan may have criticisms of a fighters performance.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
dana's paying chael huge money to make AS watchable again

and chael is doing what noone else can do, making people buy ppv's with anderson headlining, who woulda thought that last winter?

people are gonna buy this fight for one reason, because of chaels mouth the last month or two

he's doing whatever it takes

now let's hope AS performs, he has plenty of reason and motivation to

chael is not a POS but he plays one well

chael is a genious
um is this the first time you have heard chael talk before a fight he always sounds like an idiot. Ever hear the things he has said about fedor and hughes??
Old 08-07-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
um is this the first time you have heard chael talk before a fight he always sounds like an idiot. Ever hear the things he has said about fedor and hughes??
yep heard it all, and look where it has got him.......

and i am willing to bet he didn't mean any of it and can barely remember any of it anyways

i don't have much respect for doing it that way(talking and then getting over it immediately because you don't mean it), but it is still just an act

as soon as he is asked about it he immediately renounces it, it's obvious it is just an act, i have had coworkers who talk smack when around other dudes just so they look cool and as soon as we're alone working they're totally cool, it takes an insecure person to be that way, but whatever

yeah he sounds like an idiot, but he is now a rich and famous idiot, and he could care less that you and i think he sounds like an idiot
Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 AM
logrus

Quote:
LOL... "and DON'T send me your email SOFTBALL GUY.... I know how this goes..." Rome is hilarious.

Chael Sonnen must be "likes to lie guy"
I love the guy, his burn segments are always awesome. I still remember "The Gym Guy" bit lol.

The Chael clip is funny cause it sounds 99.9% like him. When Iwas listening to it, I was like whens he going to play it and then he already did lol.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
I love the guy, his burn segments are always awesome. I still remember "The Gym Guy" bit lol.

The Chael clip is funny cause it sounds 99.9% like him. When Iwas listening to it, I was like whens he going to play it and then he already did lol.
I know...as if we needed audio confirmation that Chael is full of s**t...

Who ACTUALLY heard a Mexican accent?

I actually can't even believe I've feed this nonsense, although I guess I can, and it IS HILARIOUS.....

If Silva wins, enjoy your CROW, you haters!!!!

If Sonnen wins, enjoy your new champion.