Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 08-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
I'll miss him, but he actually knows how to bow out gracefully and he is 10x the man that Brett Favre is
He gave Minnesota a great season last year. His ratings are awesome, especially considering he didn't get a lot of protection from his front line. WTH should he "bow out gracefully" when he is a proven winner and has a great work ethic?
http://www.mortgageloancalculating.c...r_ratings.html
You hate the guy for some reason. Whatever. You're really judgemental to say Kurt is 10x the man Brett is.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I'm not sold on that story just yet...

but as for Brett and football....I finally mustered up the courage to go to ESPN.com and they are reporting that IF he is healthy, Brett WILL play....(I can't believe it, lol)

Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
He gave Minnesota a great season last year. His ratings are awesome, especially considering he didn't get a lot of protection from his front line. WTH should he "bow out gracefully" when he is a proven winner and has a great work ethic?
http://www.mortgageloancalculating.c...r_ratings.html
You hate the guy for some reason. Whatever. You're really judgemental to say Kurt is 10x the man Brett is.
Yeah!

I understand if the other players are upset if he's not in training camp with them; but if the owner, manager, coach and team are that unhappy with him (his tactics), can't they just force him out or pay him and not play him?

I hope he's healthy and takes them all the way to the SB and wins!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Yeah!

I understand if the other players are upset if he's not in training camp with them; but if the owner, manager, coach and team are that unhappy with him (his tactics), can't they just force him out or pay him and not play him?

I hope he's healthy and takes them all the way to the SB and wins!
Me too, Bonnie!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:57 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
You're "kind of" joking? How exactly did he disrespect his teammates, organization and the league?
Well, it is disrespectful to skip out on training camps. The other guys on the team work hard during this time of the year and for a guy to just walk on the field like he does it can create some tension in the locker room, but people tend to get over it pretty quick when he starts winning games. If I am not mistaken, Favre has his own locker room too. Again, it's not the end of the world, but it can definitely create team issues.

The biggest problem in what he is doing is quite simply the fact that he holds the team, and to some degree the league, hostage while he plays these games. I'm sure the Vikings would like to have known 6 months ago if he wasn't planning on coming back. There is also a money issue in this. By sending out signals that he might retire, it now forces the Vikings to try and lure him into playing by throwing more money at him. There is no cap this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if Favre gets closer to 20 million dollars to play this season instead of the 13 million he was on tap to make.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:49 AM

I hear what you're saying, JB, and they are good points. As to training camp, he *did* just have surgery a little over two months ago.

You're right, the Vikings (and league) would have been happier had he said he'd play 6 months ago but I think it was true indecision on his part - never disrespect for the team, teammates or league (although some could interpret it as such).
Old 08-05-2010, 02:16 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I hear what you're saying, JB, and they are good points. As to training camp, he *did* just have surgery a little over two months ago.

You're right, the Vikings (and league) would have been happier had he said he'd play 6 months ago but I think it was true indecision on his part - never disrespect for the team, teammates or league (although some could interpret it as such).
Oh I know...the surgery did play a part in it this season, and I don't think Brett is out to intentionally create a bad situation for his team or league, but I also think he knows full well if he is able to play or not and he drags this out to avoid camp and maybe even to make a little more money. I honestly wouldn't even blame him on the money end either, he is definitely worth more than Sam Bradford or Matthew Stafford and he should get paid more. He brings a lot of revenue to any team he plays on.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Oh I know...the surgery did play a part in it this season, and I don't think Brett is out to intentionally create a bad situation for his team or league, but I also think he knows full well if he is able to play or not and he drags this out to avoid camp and maybe even to make a little more money. I honestly wouldn't even blame him on the money end either, he is definitely worth more than Sam Bradford or Matthew Stafford and he should get paid more. He brings a lot of revenue to any team he plays on.
I agree with you about what his delaying can cause/create, but you know what, he sure did good last season. Maybe he shouldn't mess with a good thing.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I agree with you about what his delaying can cause/create, but you know what, he sure did good last season. Maybe he shouldn't mess with a good thing.
I think he's just old and doesn't want to do it anymore. They should just say screw it and accept that he's not gonna come to camp.

The crappy part of that is that even though he is an amazingly talented QB, you still need to get acclimated to running the plays and working with your teammates. The off-season can create rust for even the best of players, and he is no spring chicken.

In my honest opinion, I think he plays this year and that's it.

Even if he makes it through the season without any serious injuries, I can't imagine him doing this AGAIN next year, but I guess with Favre you never really know.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:02 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
You're "kind of" joking? How exactly did he disrespect his teammates, organization and the league?
dragging this out every off-season until well of training camp starts is showing that you believe you are more important than the team, and you are so awesome that the organization should put future plans on hold to wait to see what you are going to do...That's disrespectful in my opinion