Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 AM

jones needs to face the lil nog vs bader winner!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
jones needs to face the lil nog vs bader winner!
ah! that's a good call!

[
Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 AM
rearnakedchoke

glad gomi got the win ... ellenberger looked good and jones is still a beast ...
Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Country Breakfast

I gotta say: Jon Jones is the best prospect I've seen in years.
I don't see anyone who can beat him at this point.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:34 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Breakfast View Post
I gotta say: Jon Jones is the best prospect I've seen in years.
I don't see anyone who can beat him at this point.
I agree.....

Later.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Howard's eye:

Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

MMAFighting.com presents "Falling Action: Best and Worst of UFC on Versus 2" -

Quote:
Biggest Winner: Jon Jones
If the question is: how can you possibly turn in a performance that's worthy of an 8-1 favorite? Then the answer is: pretty much exactly like that. Jones took on a tough, resilient veteran and made him look like some guy the UFC pulled off a barstool at the last minute. When's the last time you saw Matyushenko tossed onto his back and kept there? When's the last time you saw him get finished in the first round of a fight where he managed no effective offense of his own? Jon Jones is fighting on a whole different level than most of the division right now. I realize he's just 23 and still fairly new to the sport, but it's time to put him in with the big dogs and see what he can do.

Biggest Loser: Tyson Griffin
In his pre-fight interview Griffin described what sounded like a very smart, though not particularly thrilling plan for this bout. It included wearing Gomi down in the clinch, hammering him with dirty boxing, and taking him to the mat. Trouble is, he didn't get a chance to do any of that before Gomi's right hand found his chin. Griffin complained about the stoppage afterwards, but any time you fall face first into the mat like an exhausted man onto a hotel bed, you have to know the ref's going to stop it. That's two straight losses for Griffin, who once seemed like he was on his way to the top. Now he finds himself at the back of the line with a long, difficult journey ahead of him.

Quickest Career Rejuvenation: Takanori Gomi
All it took was one minute and four seconds for "The Fireball Kid" to inject new life into his MMA career after a couple very mediocre years. I'm still not entirely sure what it means to "fight American," as Gomi said he finally learned how to do, but if it means starching opponents with murderous right hands in the first round, I'd love to see more of it.

Most Memorable Post-Fight Speech: Charles Oliveira
He shouted a hello to the UFC, one for the city of San Diego, then wrapped it up with, 'No speak English. Thank you!' What else do you really need to say after that? Might as well let that sweet triangle choke finish do the rest of the talking for you.

Most in Need of an Icepack and Giant Sunglasses: John Howard
Normally, I'd say that stopping a fight midway through the final round because of a swollen eye is a terrible call. But as anyone who saw that baseball-sized hunk of flesh and fluid on Howard's face already knows, this might be the one time where it was justified. Howard showed a lot of heart and some ferocious striking, but his takedown defense clearly needs some work. If only he'd been able to stay off his back and out of the way of Jake Ellenberger's elbows, maybe he wouldn't be scaring small children with his face right now.

The 'Disappointing, But Not Surprising' Award: Judge Cecil Peoples
When Bruce Buffer announced a split decision for Yushin Okami rather than a unanimous one, long-time fans hardly needed to ask which judge scored it for Mark Munoz. Any fighter who stands in the center of the Octagon after a fight awaiting the judges' decision must get a sinking feeling in his stomach when he hears the phrase, 'Judge Cecil Peoples scores the bout...' Peoples has the kind of job where it's never a good thing for fans to know your name, and yet he's the most well-known (notorious?) judge in the business. Is there really no one else the athletic commissions can put in that chair?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 PM
logrus

I like Mirs thoughts on the scoring for the Okami fight. "Well the refs score takedowns, even if he failed miserably the whole round".

Jones is a beast, I cant wait for his next step up in competition.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
The 'Disappointing, But Not Surprising' Award: Judge Cecil Peoples
When Bruce Buffer announced a split decision for Yushin Okami rather than a unanimous one, long-time fans hardly needed to ask which judge scored it for Mark Munoz. Any fighter who stands in the center of the Octagon after a fight awaiting the judges' decision must get a sinking feeling in his stomach when he hears the phrase, 'Judge Cecil Peoples scores the bout...' Peoples has the kind of job where it's never a good thing for fans to know your name, and yet he's the most well-known (notorious?) judge in the business. Is there really no one else the athletic commissions can put in that chair?
Peoples is always the whipping boy for judges. He's not the best or the worst.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw8OTQsnhlQ

I did horribly on my picks...they all failed