Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

That article was pretty tame.

The only part that stood out to me was this ambiguous statement.

Quote:
Almeida has the same fight experience as Matt Hughes, just not the same amount of miles.
How can one person have the same experience but less miles? That's just a dumb statement.

For that matter, Ricardo has a total of 15 fights and is 33 years old. Hughes is 36 and has 51 fights. That is a difference of 36 fights and only a 3 year age gap.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

"Almeida has the same fight experience as Matt Hughes, just not the same amount of miles."

How can one person have the same experience but less miles? That's just a dumb statement.

For that matter, Ricardo has a total of 15 fights and is 33 years old. Hughes is 36 and has 51 fights. That is a difference of 36 fights and only a 3 year age gap.
I read that and didn't catch it. You and Neezy--y'all are so eagle-eyed!

It is DUMB!....and STUPID!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
Alright, bad girl!

For once my thoughts were "pure" and you had to go there.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

That slipped past me too. Good catch, JB.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:54 AM
County Mike

I wish Matt was in "Twilight". It would be cool to see him start slamming some shiny vampires, then run a stake through their undead hearts.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I wish Matt was in "Twilight". It would be cool to see him start slamming some shiny vampires, then run a stake through their undead hearts.
Or he'd be dropping werewolves from 100 yards with his Browning.

[
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Or he'd be dropping werewolves from 100 yards with his Browning.
Hey, Marvel made KingPin & Nick Furry black, maybe they can cast matt as the new Blade!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 AM
pistol-pete

I have seen high schoolers write a more intriguing article. Sure it was tame, but it was also quite lame, something that just about anyone on this forum could write in 10 minutes.

I actually thought Matt Hughes's performance against Gracie showed how Hughes has rounded his game inside the octagon, he stood and threw leather and chopped his opponent with some pretty fierce leg kicks, something I had not seen from Hughes. He fought intellegently and didn't let his ego get the best of him by taking the fight to the ground.

Basically he beat the tar out of Gracie and showed that Gracie had no business being in the ring with Hughes regardless of what the Sheiks wanted to see. Nothing about that fight showed me anything about Matt's age.

Almedia will prove to be a very tough challenge for Matt Hughes and I will be excited to watch the fight.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol-pete View Post
I have seen high schoolers write a more intriguing article. Sure it was tame, but it was also quite lame, something that just about anyone on this forum could write in 10 minutes.

I actually thought Matt Hughes's performance against Gracie showed how Hughes has rounded his game inside the octagon, he stood and threw leather and chopped his opponent with some pretty fierce leg kicks, something I had not seen from Hughes. He fought intellegently and didn't let his ego get the best of him by taking the fight to the ground.

Basically he beat the tar out of Gracie and showed that Gracie had no business being in the ring with Hughes regardless of what the Sheiks wanted to see. Nothing about that fight showed me anything about Matt's age.

Almedia will prove to be a very tough challenge for Matt Hughes and I will be excited to watch the fight.

[
Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMessina View Post
Yes Amy. I had a reason. Read the article and my rebuttal immediately below it.

I think it's important for the forum members to be aware of what's going on elsewhere on the Internet. Rather than prefer to be unaware of the article, I expected members to post their own rebuttal comments at UltimateFighter.com's article in support of Matt. If we don't, then why are we here? What's the benefit Matt gets from this site and forum?

If you didn't make it to the article, here's a copy of my comments:
I don't think it takes much of an expert, of any field, to point out that someone, whether he's an MMA fighter or a file clerk, performed better when he was younger, newer to the field, aspiring, eager, and hungry. There's no doubt that any of Matt's future fights may well fall short of his fights of ten years ago. This isn't an issue worth discussing. That's expected of anyone in any career as they begin to age, burn out, and lose interest because the task begins to become routine.

The significant issue is one's performance over the course of his career. Matt's overall performance in MMA and the UFC has been remarkable. I've seen him perform tasks in the Octagon no one else has attempted. When you say baseball, I think Mickey Mantle. When you say MMA, or UFC, I think Matt Hughes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
We tend to get a lot of trolls and troublemakers just prior to and immediately after Matt's fights. Thanks for the clarification although I tend to disagree with your first paragraph, particularly the sentence now in bold. Yes, he is in the HOF now and is considered a legend of the sport. But, I don't think that means that his upcoming fights may fall short of his fights from 10 years ago. He has evolved as a fighter and may do things differently now but he's still a contender. He's still at the top of the WW division. He's still exciting. Just look at his last fight, he did things no one thought Matt Hughes would do. I find that very cool.

~Amy

In the famous words of Tim Sylvia:

"What's Up Now?"

Tags
ultimatefighter.com