Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM
LouMessina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Arrow UltimateFighter.com: "Hughes In Twilight"



"Hughes In Twilight"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMessina View Post
Not exactly the most flattering of write ups.

For those of you who want to know, its Twilight as in "twilight of his career" not twilight as in Vampire Saga
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,709
Default

Do you have a reason for posting this article here? You gave no explanation which makes me think you are only here to bash Matt. If that is the case, your posts will not be tolerated.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:14 PM
LouMessina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Arrow UltimateFighter.com: "Hughes In Twilight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Do you have a reason for posting this article here? You gave no explanation which makes me think you are only here to bash Matt. If that is the case, your posts will not be tolerated. ~Amy
Yes Amy. I had a reason. Read the article and my rebuttal immediately below it.


I think it's important for the forum members to be aware of what's going on elsewhere on the Internet. Rather than prefer to be unaware of the article, I expected members to post their own rebuttal comments at UltimateFighter.com's article in support of Matt. If we don't, then why are we here? What's the benefit Matt gets from this site and forum?

If you didn't make it to the article, here's a copy of my comments:
I don't think it takes much of an expert, of any field, to point out that someone, whether he's an MMA fighter or a file clerk, performed better when he was younger, newer to the field, aspiring, eager, and hungry. There's no doubt that any of Matt's future fights may well fall short of his fights of ten years ago. This isn't an issue worth discussing. That's expected of anyone in any career as they begin to age, burn out, and lose interest because the task begins to become routine.

The significant issue is one's performance over the course of his career. Matt's overall performance in MMA and the UFC has been remarkable. I've seen him perform tasks in the Octagon no one else has attempted. When you say baseball, I think Mickey Mantle. When you say MMA, or UFC, I think Matt Hughes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMessina View Post
Yes Amy. I had a reason. Read the article and my rebuttal immediately below it.

I think it's important for the forum members to be aware of what's going on elsewhere on the Internet. Rather than prefer to be unaware of the article, I expected members to post their own rebuttal comments at UltimateFighter.com's article in support of Matt. If we don't, then why are we here? What's the benefit Matt gets from this site and forum?

If you didn't make it to the article, here's a copy of my comments:
I don't think it takes much of an expert, of any field, to point out that someone, whether he's an MMA fighter or a file clerk, performed better when he was younger, newer to the field, aspiring, eager, and hungry. There's no doubt that any of Matt's future fights may well fall short of his fights of ten years ago. This isn't an issue worth discussing. That's expected of anyone in any career as they begin to age, burn out, and lose interest because the task begins to become routine.

The significant issue is one's performance over the course of his career. Matt's overall performance in MMA and the UFC has been remarkable. I've seen him perform tasks in the Octagon no one else has attempted. When you say baseball, I think Mickey Mantle. When you say MMA, or UFC, I think Matt Hughes.
You may not have got the negative reaction, had you written THE ABOVE under the link you first posted. We're quite territorial here

We would then all have aggreed with you and supported you...but you just posted the link...for all I knew, you were the author...I dont think we mind such things if they are posted for a reason and that reason is clearly written like "I cant believe they wrote this about Matt (insert link)"

Do you understand what I mean? Perhaps we jumped to the wrong conclusion, but its not like you left us any clarity.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:39 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMessina View Post
Yes Amy. I had a reason. Read the article and my rebuttal immediately below it.

I think it's important for the forum members to be aware of what's going on elsewhere on the Internet. Rather than prefer to be unaware of the article, I expected members to post their own rebuttal comments at UltimateFighter.com's article in support of Matt. If we don't, then why are we here? What's the benefit Matt gets from this site and forum?

If you didn't make it to the article, here's a copy of my comments:
I don't think it takes much of an expert, of any field, to point out that someone, whether he's an MMA fighter or a file clerk, performed better when he was younger, newer to the field, aspiring, eager, and hungry. There's no doubt that any of Matt's future fights may well fall short of his fights of ten years ago. This isn't an issue worth discussing. That's expected of anyone in any career as they begin to age, burn out, and lose interest because the task begins to become routine.

The significant issue is one's performance over the course of his career. Matt's overall performance in MMA and the UFC has been remarkable. I've seen him perform tasks in the Octagon no one else has attempted. When you say baseball, I think Mickey Mantle. When you say MMA, or UFC, I think Matt Hughes.
We tend to get a lot of trolls and troublemakers just prior to and immediately after Matt's fights. Thanks for the clarification although I tend to disagree with your first paragraph, particularly the sentence now in bold. Yes, he is in the HOF now and is considered a legend of the sport. But, I don't think that means that his upcoming fights may fall short of his fights from 10 years ago. He has evolved as a fighter and may do things differently now but he's still a contender. He's still at the top of the WW division. He's still exciting. Just look at his last fight, he did things no one thought Matt Hughes would do. I find that very cool.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
LouMessina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I guess my mistake was in thinking everyone would follow the link and read the page.

Apologies.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMessina View Post
I guess my mistake was in thinking everyone would follow the link and read the page.

Apologies.

I followed the link and read the article, but didn't read past it. We aren't 'sherdogging' you, just making sure you aren't here to make trouble.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,634
Default

I have no doubt Matt's body will keep up with his "will".

Matt's a smart cookie; he knows his body better than anybody else.

Btw, it didn't ever bring up the "comments" (just kept saying "loading"--forever) so I didn't see/read them on the site so thanks for going ahead and posting yours here.
__________________

Last edited by Bonnie; 08-01-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is online now
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,323
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMessina View Post
I guess my mistake was in thinking everyone would follow the link and read the page.

Apologies.
Hahaha, you give us too much credit. We're a bunch of lazy slobs around here!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ultimatefighter.com

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.