Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM
LouMessina

Arrow UltimateFighter.com: "Hughes In Twilight"

"Hughes In Twilight"
Old 08-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMessina View Post
Not exactly the most flattering of write ups.

For those of you who want to know, its Twilight as in "twilight of his career" not twilight as in Vampire Saga
Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a reason for posting this article here? You gave no explanation which makes me think you are only here to bash Matt. If that is the case, your posts will not be tolerated.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-01-2010, 07:14 PM
LouMessina

Arrow UltimateFighter.com: "Hughes In Twilight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Do you have a reason for posting this article here? You gave no explanation which makes me think you are only here to bash Matt. If that is the case, your posts will not be tolerated. ~Amy
Yes Amy. I had a reason. Read the article and my rebuttal immediately below it.

I think it's important for the forum members to be aware of what's going on elsewhere on the Internet. Rather than prefer to be unaware of the article, I expected members to post their own rebuttal comments at UltimateFighter.com's article in support of Matt. If we don't, then why are we here? What's the benefit Matt gets from this site and forum?

If you didn't make it to the article, here's a copy of my comments:
I don't think it takes much of an expert, of any field, to point out that someone, whether he's an MMA fighter or a file clerk, performed better when he was younger, newer to the field, aspiring, eager, and hungry. There's no doubt that any of Matt's future fights may well fall short of his fights of ten years ago. This isn't an issue worth discussing. That's expected of anyone in any career as they begin to age, burn out, and lose interest because the task begins to become routine.

The significant issue is one's performance over the course of his career. Matt's overall performance in MMA and the UFC has been remarkable. I've seen him perform tasks in the Octagon no one else has attempted. When you say baseball, I think Mickey Mantle. When you say MMA, or UFC, I think Matt Hughes.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I think it's important for the forum members to be aware of what's going on elsewhere on the Internet. Rather than prefer to be unaware of the article, I expected members to post their own rebuttal comments at UltimateFighter.com's article in support of Matt. If we don't, then why are we here? What's the benefit Matt gets from this site and forum?

I don't think it takes much of an expert, of any field, to point out that someone, whether he's an MMA fighter or a file clerk, performed better when he was younger, newer to the field, aspiring, eager, and hungry. There's no doubt that any of Matt's future fights may well fall short of his fights of ten years ago. This isn't an issue worth discussing. That's expected of anyone in any career as they begin to age, burn out, and lose interest because the task begins to become routine.

The significant issue is one's performance over the course of his career. Matt's overall performance in MMA and the UFC has been remarkable. I've seen him perform tasks in the Octagon no one else has attempted. When you say baseball, I think Mickey Mantle. When you say MMA, or UFC, I think Matt Hughes.
You may not have got the negative reaction, had you written THE ABOVE under the link you first posted. We're quite territorial here

We would then all have aggreed with you and supported you...but you just posted the link...for all I knew, you were the author...I dont think we mind such things if they are posted for a reason and that reason is clearly written like "I cant believe they wrote this about Matt (insert link)"

Do you understand what I mean? Perhaps we jumped to the wrong conclusion, but its not like you left us any clarity.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

We tend to get a lot of trolls and troublemakers just prior to and immediately after Matt's fights. Thanks for the clarification although I tend to disagree with your first paragraph, particularly the sentence now in bold. Yes, he is in the HOF now and is considered a legend of the sport. But, I don't think that means that his upcoming fights may fall short of his fights from 10 years ago. He has evolved as a fighter and may do things differently now but he's still a contender. He's still at the top of the WW division. He's still exciting. Just look at his last fight, he did things no one thought Matt Hughes would do. I find that very cool.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
LouMessina

I guess my mistake was in thinking everyone would follow the link and read the page.

Apologies.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I guess my mistake was in thinking everyone would follow the link and read the page.

Apologies.

I followed the link and read the article, but didn't read past it. We aren't 'sherdogging' you, just making sure you aren't here to make trouble.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 PM

I have no doubt Matt's body will keep up with his "will".

Matt's a smart cookie; he knows his body better than anybody else.

Btw, it didn't ever bring up the "comments" (just kept saying "loading"--forever) so I didn't see/read them on the site so thanks for going ahead and posting yours here.

Last edited by Bonnie; 08-01-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:

Apologies.
Hahaha, you give us too much credit. We're a bunch of lazy slobs around here!!

Tags
ultimatefighter.com