Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 AM
surveyorshawn

Default Need help designing Sword for Benaiah

Ok guys, I am trying to come up with a design to have a custom sword made for Benaiah as an heirloom. I have an opportunity to have one hand crafted for a good deal, and want to have it done for him, I just have to come up with the design. I want to go with a lion motif, at least for the hilt & scabbard, and maybe have Hebrew lettering on part of the blade, perhaps naming it "Lion Slayer" in Hebrew. The script would look like this: רצח אריה
My thoughts about the lion theme are of course based around the verses about his name and what he has been through so far in his life.
Anyway, for those of you who have some art/design talent or ideas, please consider giving it a shot and post some ideas and/or sketches.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 AM

That sounds like a wonderful gift! I lurk quite a bit on Bladeforums.com. They have a subforum for swords but I have never spent time in it. A few days ago, I received this beauty in the mail:

A Busse Bushwacker Mistress. It isn't quite a sword, but at 16 1/4 inches with a 10 1/4 inch blade of INFI, it is quite a knife. I'm building up a collection for my son to inherit.

I would be very careful with the Hebrew script. Unless you know a Jewish swordsmith, I would be afraid that you will end up with a Hebrew word written incorrectly.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

I have 2 costume swords, 3 real ones and one that was customer made for me.. and they are typical katana, straight sword, a copy of Duncan and Conner MacLeod's swords, a "real" Braveheart copy, and english short sword and the custom broadsword. I love fencing.. and working out with them...

but there is ONE sword I would love to have.. and it's THIS..

I saw it on Deadliest Warrior. It has a weighted tip to make the slash much more powerful!!!

There is a guy that travel with a Renaissance Fair that comes through here in the fall.. I am hoping that I can get one of those.. it's just bad arse.. something like this would be cool to have!!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 AM

Here are some paintings of Benaiah I found with a Google search:

Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 AM

Shawn, I have several friends who speak Hebrew so if you want me to ask them to check out the lettering, I'd be more than happy to do it.

Last edited by flo; 07-27-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 AM

Like PTM said, it's a good idea to make sure you have the lettering done correctly. Several years ago I saw a hilarious blog about tattoos consisting of Japanese and Chinese characters; suffice it to say, there were mixups in translation.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 AM

Fixed.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:09 PM
surveyorshawn

That would be awesome if you would be willing to do that, Flo! Yeah, I have always suspected that the Chinese symbols on the back of people's necks really mean things like "kick me" or "I'm a dumba$$" or stuff like that, lol!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 PM

Shawn, what is YOUR heritage? I think it might be cool to have a sword in the style of your own heritage and see how they translate the story of Benaiah. mainly because his strength comes from God, but his physical strength comes from his bloodline. made do something with both sides of the blae reflecting each aspect.
Just a thought...

I think it's a really great idea that you have here. I don't think you can possibly come up with any idea that will be wrong.

[
Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
surveyorshawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Shawn, what is YOUR heritage? I think it might be cool to have a sword in the style of your own heritage and see how they translate the story of Benaiah. mainly because his strength comes from God, but his physical strength comes from his bloodline. made do something with both sides of the blae reflecting each aspect.
Just a thought...

I think it's a really great idea that you have here. I don't think you can possibly come up with any idea that will be wrong.
That's awesome brother! All this is getting the wheels in my mind turning! You guys keep it coming!