Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
BamaGrits84

Default Slow Pitch Softball

I played fast pitch for years when I was younger. Now 10 years later I've decided to play on a church co-ed team. Well slow pitch batting is way different than fast pitch and I need some help.

Fast pitch you want a level swing and that helps generate power. Since slow pitch balls drop you can't always hit the ball by just swinging level. I'm good with making contact but I have no power. And oddly in the batting cages I pull to the left (3rd base line) almost every time but when a person is pitching to me I hit all over the place. I was taught in fast pitch to point you front foot towrds the direction you want the ball to go. So instead is keeping you feet pointing straight towards the plate you would angle it out to get more turn out of your swing basically. But you had to swing a bit faster for that to work. Thing with slow pitch is it well SLOW. A ball that's a strike my get tossed up really high and take a while to drop.

Then I've got my husband tell me how to generate power. First I don't like thim telling how to do anything. I feel like he's talking down to me even when he's just trying to help. I read that with slow pitch the best thing to do is just stand however you are comfortable since there are not a lot of technical things to do to get a more powerful swing but by using a comfortable stance you can focus more on hitting with power.

And I had a batting cage owner tell me to line my middle knuckles up and hold the bat losely for the best control of the bat itself. It feels weird but it works. But agian I'm so focused on how I'm holding the bat I don't focus on hitting with all my strength.

So tips on any of these areas of batting please! I'm not about to play and go out there and stink it up. if I can't be a good player I won't play at all.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
County Mike

A lot of slow pitch leagues will consider any ball that lands directly behind the plate a strike (as long as it achieved correct height range). Position yourself in a way that lets you hit a ball dropping into that area. Don't worry about it coming over the plate horizontally like it does in fast pitch. I typically stand further back in the box than I would in baseball.

Patience. Because the ball is moving so slowly it's easy to get anxious and swing too soon. Then you're lunging for the ball or chopping up at it. I like to hit it when it's about waist or even knee high. It's more of a golf swing than a baseball swing.

Of course, practice a lot to help get the timing down.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
BamaGrits84

[QUOTE=County Mike;127032]
Patience. Because the ball is moving so slowly it's easy to get anxious and swing too soon. Then you're lunging for the ball or chopping up at it. I like to hit it when it's about waist or even knee high. It's more of a golf swing than a baseball swing.
[QUOTE]

Exactly! It's very odd to me to swing low because that got you laps in fast pitch. And I'm 6' 1" (or just 6' even depending on who's measuring) so the women that pitch don't get the ball nearly high enough and some of the men don't either. Plus the umps forget that strike zones are different based on the person. The knee to waist on some people is mid shin level for me. And since the balls drop you really never know where to stand in the plate. Most good pitches would land right behind the plate but if it touches the plate at all that's a strike. I think Im going to need a lot of practice on learning to adjust to a variety of pitches.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I agree with Mike, you really gotta wait on it. Also, realize that you're not playing with a bunch of athletes, so a ball that hangs for a bit in the air isn't a gauranteed out like when you were younger. The outfield generally plays deeper since the pitching style lends itself to longer pop-flys, so "crushing a ball" isn't always the best idea. A "little league" as it sounds, just making good contact is usually the best idea. And believe me, if you practice pulling the ball to the right, your on-base percentage will be great. The 1st base(wo)man typically isn't agile & certainly isn't expecting the ball, so even a line-drive can usualy catch 'em napping & get past, plus the right fielder is usually out there praying that the ball doesn't get hit in their direction (speaking from experience, here! ). The combination of surpise that the ball's coming to them, relative lack of skill, and performance anxiety pretty much gaurantees a single & can often give you a good shot at extra base(s) on an over-throw.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 PM
rearnakedchoke

i would love to give you some advice, but we have a strike out/case of beer rule in our league .. you strike out and you have to bring a case of beer to the next game ... so i swing at the first pitch everytime, good, bad or ugly ...
Old 07-28-2010, 02:44 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i would love to give you some advice, but we have a strike out/case of beer rule in our league .. you strike out and you have to bring a case of beer to the next game ... so i swing at the first pitch everytime, good, bad or ugly ...
How does that help keep you from striking out?

Besides... who strikes out in slow pitch? (except maybe for the foul ball as 3rd strike rule)
Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post

Besides... who strikes out in slow pitch? (except maybe for the foul ball as 3rd strike rule)
well, i figured, it's slow pitch, so i am not gonna really miss the ball ... but we had the foul as strike three, so if i got a single or double on the first pitch .. i was happy with that ... LOL ..
Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post

You'd be surprised, man. Some of the chicks on my team . . . :facepalm:
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Twinsmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post