Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Arpanet !
WOW.. talk about a blast from the past!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 PM

I just don't understand thoughts on here sometimes.

The UFC is a business - they sell PPV's and yes it feeds a big economy and there is a llot of people that pay into that, including myself. I have bought numerous tickets to events, DVD's, Expo's and so forth.

So if you sell something and someone uploads it onto the Internet that alllows 70 thousand people to watch it for free, that steals from the company, the fighters and suckers like me who have paid the price to watch it.

How can you then expect a company to take a soft stance, even if prosecution is unlikely you promote a tough stance to scare people into not doing it. Its a completly understandle posistion.

I am a UFC fan and I fail to see where Dana is going after the "fans", what nonsense.

Lastly rarelly do people watch UFC on their own. You are with friends, few beers, few pizza's etc. What do you need 4 people paying $5 each. Not exactly robbery is it?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
I just don't understand thoughts on here sometimes.

The UFC is a business - they sell PPV's and yes it feeds a big economy and there is a llot of people that pay into that, including myself. I have bought numerous tickets to events, DVD's, Expo's and so forth.

So if you sell something and someone uploads it onto the Internet that alllows 70 thousand people to watch it for free, that steals from the company, the fighters and suckers like me who have paid the price to watch it.

How can you then expect a company to take a soft stance, even if prosecution is unlikely you promote a tough stance to scare people into not doing it. Its a completly understandle posistion.

I am a UFC fan and I fail to see where Dana is going after the "fans", what nonsense.

Lastly rarelly do people watch UFC on their own. You are with friends, few beers, few pizza's etc. What do you need 4 people paying $5 each. Not exactly robbery is it?
Hang on a second brother....

Nobody is denying the UFC's right to pursue action against people who are breaking copyright law by re-broadcasting their telecast. They absolutely have that right.

But look at the bigger picture, this ultimately DOES equal going after UFC FANS. I know a LOT of people who buy the PPV's all the time, myself included, but they don't always feel that the product being offered every month is up to the same standard that they expect when they spend $60, so they watch it at a bar or they watch it on a stream. Bars pay a LOT of money to show PPV's, and if Dana White could do it he would be taking a chunk of their booze revenue from fight nights too because he knows he can't gauge an exact estimate of how many individual PPV losses the UFC incurs from people going out to bars. Streams are a joke, and most people who have to scour the web looking for a good stream end up watching a crappy pixelated video that cuts out or gets shut down every 2 minutes. That's hardly robbing anybody who paid full price of the experience they got in High Definition on the TV set. Plus, what about the UFC fans in other countries who have NO OTHER WAY to watch?

This is NO different than what happened with the RIAA and the MPAA. As soon as they realize that they can't combat all the people who are savvy enough to run streams or upload files, the UFC's lawyers will turn their attention to the IP addresses of those who are viewing the streams or downloading the files. Then, you will hear a story about some little-old-lady in Texas getting hit with an obnoxious lawsuit because her 14 year old grandson has been using her internet to watch free UFC events for the last 6 months. That's what the "scare" tactic will be, and honestly, the thought of that makes me sick. Just like the record and movie executives doing it, it's another case of overt greed that comes off as petty. Nobody with that much money should be petty, ever.

Believe me, I get your point, and I am totally pro-capitalism. However, I am ALWAYS pro-good business, and the UFC does some things that I consider BAD business in terms of giving back to it's fans. If you think the UFC charges a fair price for it's products every month, that's fine, but a lot of people don't. If I felt like everybody should just say "screw the UFC" and watch it for free, I wouldn't care enough about the sport to actually type about it as much as I do on a daily basis. Still, you are also going to be hard-pressed to get me to feel sorry for Dana White and Zuffa because they only made 20 million dollars instead of 25 million on one of their PPV's. The UFC doesn't care about you or me, and they prove that point by over saturating the market with an upwards of 20 PPVs a year. Heck, they even suckered about 200,000 people into buying a WEC PPV. It won't matter though, eventually people will just stop buying because it costs too much and then the UFC will dial it back...can you say WWE?

The fans have been VERY generous to this sport in a VERY short amount of time, and the UFC should be giving more stuff back to the people who spend their hard earned money, rather than wasting the hard earned money we throw at them by spending it on lawsuits that will ultimately go NOWHERE and will potentially hurt some of those very same people.

Last edited by J.B.; 07-26-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Hang on a second brother....

Nobody is denying the UFC's right to pursue action against people who are breaking copyright law by re-broadcasting their telecast. They absolutely have that right.

But look at the bigger picture, this ultimately DOES equal going after UFC FANS. I know a LOT of people who buy the PPV's all the time, myself included, but they don't always feel that the product being offered every month is up to the same standard that they expect when they spend $60, so they watch it at a bar or they watch it on a stream. Bars pay a LOT of money to show PPV's, and if Dana White could do it he would be taking a chunk of their booze revenue from fight nights too because he knows he can't gauge an exact estimate of how many individual PPV losses the UFC incurs from people going out to bars. Streams are a joke, and most people who have to scour the web looking for a good stream end up watching a crappy pixelated video that cuts out or gets shut down every 2 minutes. That's hardly robbing anybody who paid full price of the experience they got in High Definition on the TV set. Plus, what about the UFC fans in other countries who have NO OTHER WAY to watch?

This is NO different than what happened with the RIAA and the MPAA. As soon as they realize that they can't combat all the people who are savvy enough to run streams or upload files, the UFC's lawyers will turn their attention to the IP addresses of those who are viewing the streams or downloading the files. Then, you will hear a story about some little-old-lady in Texas getting hit with an obnoxious lawsuit because her 14 year old grandson has been using her internet to watch free UFC events for the last 6 months. That's what the "scare" tactic will be, and honestly, the thought of that makes me sick. Just like the record and movie executives doing it, it's another case of overt greed that comes off as petty. Nobody with that much money should be petty, ever.

Believe me, I get your point, and I am totally pro-capitalism. However, I am ALWAYS pro-good business, and the UFC does some things that I consider BAD business in terms of giving back to it's fans. If you think the UFC charges a fair price for it's products every month, that's fine, but a lot of people don't. If I felt like everybody should just say "screw the UFC" and watch it for free, I wouldn't care enough about the sport to actually type about it as much as I do on a daily basis. Still, you are also going to be hard-pressed to get me to feel sorry for Dana White and Zuffa because they only made 20 million dollars instead of 25 million on one of their PPV's. The UFC doesn't care about you or me, and they prove that point by over saturating the market with an upwards of 20 PPVs a year. Heck, they even suckered about 200,000 people into buying a WEC PPV. It won't matter though, eventually people will just stop buying because it costs too much and then the UFC will dial it back...can you say WWE?

The fans have been VERY generous to this sport in a VERY short amount of time, and the UFC should be giving more stuff back to the people who spend their hard earned money, rather than wasting the hard earned money we throw at them by spending it on lawsuits that will ultimately go NOWHERE and will potentially hurt some of those very same people.
I especially like the bolded part. But the parallel with "pro" wrestling is also apt. It just costs too much for what is offered sometimes with the UFC.

Some of us can't go to bars or viewing parties. I guess were just out of luck.