Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 AM
cds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Thats what BJ Penn says....Its also pretty much what the Snake says in the Garden of Eden
Not sure what BJ or the snake said (as Ive never talked to either of them ), its just something through experience that Ive learned to be an absolute truth.....and there really aren't many truths that are absolute.

The only way I know to stop mass media public sharing is to shut the internet down.....and we all know that isn't gonna happen anytime soon.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds View Post
The only way I know to stop mass media public sharing is to shut the internet down.....and we all know that isn't gonna happen anytime soon.
With Joe Biden as close as he is to highest seat of power in the free world...I wouldn't rule anything out...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
You know whats also funny. The fight is aired Sat night here in the US. By Sunday morning there are already 1000's of sites up with the torrent.

JB you may have a point with offering other avenues for fans, but wouldn't that also do more harm then good to the legal PPV buyers? I am not positive how many would abandon free streams for paying for a cheaper stream.

I think the WWE tried a similar thing with its PPV and I am not sure of its success.
I think you missed it, but I pointed out that exact same thing about the torrents, lol

As for hurting the legal PPV buyers, it doesn't have to. The UFC should be bending over backwards for the people who literally buy their PPV's all the time. Thats what I meant by offering incentives to those who buy their PPV's at full price. They could do it in a number of ways. For instance, giving out free PPV cards to people who have bought multiple events, or giving them exclusive access to online content, or big discounts on tickets and merchandise, or even a stupid free T-shirt, a date with an octagon girl, who cares....ANYTHING.

I think some people would abandon free streams if they felt they could get a stream that wouldn't lag or get shut down, because it's already happening. A lot of sites offer streams for like $5 in HD. If the UFC were the ones selling the stream for even $10 to $20, you would see a lot of people utilize that and I would bet that the regular PPV's barely take any sort of marginal loss from it. They could simply limit the resolution so that it looks like crap if you try to send the signal out to your 70 inch big-screen and blow it up, or run it in a fixed window without fullscreen capability. Not saying it's perfect, but it's an idea of somewhere to start.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
With Joe Biden as close as he is to highest seat of power in the free world...I wouldn't rule anything out...
Arpanet !
Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Arpanet !
LOL WUT?

I'm missing something I feel I should know...

Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 AM
logrus

Quote:
I think you missed it, but I pointed out that exact same thing about the torrents, lol

As for hurting the legal PPV buyers, it doesn't have to. The UFC should be bending over backwards for the people who literally buy their PPV's all the time. Thats what I meant by offering incentives to those who buy their PPV's at full price. They could do it in a number of ways. For instance, giving out free PPV cards to people who have bought multiple events, or giving them exclusive access to online content, or big discounts on tickets and merchandise, or even a stupid free T-shirt, a date with an octagon girl, who cares....ANYTHING.

I think some people would abandon free streams if they felt they could get a stream that wouldn't lag or get shut down, because it's already happening. A lot of sites offer streams for like $5 in HD. If the UFC were the ones selling the stream for even $10 to $20, you would see a lot of people utilize that and I would bet that the regular PPV's barely take any sort of marginal loss from it. They could simply limit the resolution so that it looks like crap if you try to send the signal out to your 70 inch big-screen and blow it up, or run it in a fixed window without fullscreen capability. Not saying it's perfect, but it's an idea of somewhere to start.
Yeah I think I missed that torrent thing somewhere.lol

I don't know, the WWE tried a promotion for PPV buys and it really didn't help them because they seem to have abandoned it.

Personally if the UFC charged 5-20$ for a PPV I would buy that over spending the 60$
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 AM
logrus

Quote:
LOL WUT?

I'm missing something I feel I should know...

Its the early version of the internet developed by your wonderful government of defense.. It deals in packet switching which is the basis for the interweb...
Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Its the early version of the internet developed by your wonderful government of defense.. It deals in packet switching which is the basis for the interweb...
now I get it....

I've heard of that numerous times in the "history of the internet", I just thought you were making a Biden related joke for some reason, lol....

The reason I cracked on Biden was because of his anti-file sharing stance and the Digital Millennium Copywright Act that he pushed through.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 AM
logrus

Quote:
now I get it....

I've heard of that numerous times in the "history of the internet", I just thought you were making a Biden related joke for some reason, lol....

The reason I cracked on Biden was because of his anti-file sharing stance and the Digital Millennium Copywright Act that he pushed through.
Tyburn is going to go Wikipedia Arpanet now lol. I was going to make an Al Gore joke but I passed lol.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:28 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Yeah I think I missed that torrent thing somewhere.lol
The torrent crack I made was possibly the best line of the thread...it deserves repeating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
For the record, the UFC can go ahead and shut down every stream in existence. Anybody who has been on the internet for 10 minutes knows that streams usually suck anyway and if you wait about an hour or two after the event you can ALWAYS find a copy of the event uploaded to the web, and usually in HD. (then you can burn your own bootleg copies to DVD and sell them out of your trunk at the mall along with those cool "ChokeouT" shirts you had printed up)
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrus
I don't know, the WWE tried a promotion for PPV buys and it really didn't help them because they seem to have abandoned it.
The WWE also does a LOT more for it's fans in general. Like, it's not even close.

They give them tons of brand new content every week between the 2 hours of Raw and 2 hours of Smackdown, and they have other shows also. Not to mention the simple fact that WWE PPV's are not all $60. I think they are mostly $30 now except for Wrestlemania and Royal Rumble (but I could be slightly off).

At least if the UFC offered some kind of promotion for it's hardcore fans, the people who are shelling out $60 and then complaining about not getting their money's worth know that the company still cares about having their business. When the WWE puts on a PPV, the fans complain the same way about not spending money the next time, and just like UFC-guy they end up buying the PPV again next month. However, the difference is the WWE has total control of the product their fans see, the UFC has no control over a bad call or a guy not going over with the crowd, yet they bear the same brunt of criticism from their followers. At the same time, the UFC knows damn well when they are selling a card for $60 that is only worth $30, but they do it anyway. So they really should put themselves out there and ACTUALLY give back to the people who support them, with something...ANYTHING. Yet they offer, nothing. At least the WWE tried, and they never really had too.

Quote:
Personally if the UFC charged 5-20$ for a PPV I would buy that over spending the 60$
So would a lot of people, but also a lot of people don't like to watch fights like that. A lot of people like to have a bunch of people over and watch it in good quality on a nice TV. If the UFC made it's streams unfriendly to such a practice, people would still order the regular PPV's (especially if there was an extra bonus for doing so). The UFC does sell it's PPV's online for full price through Yahoo and MMAfighting.com, but nobody orders those streams nearly as much as they do through their cable or satellite provider. Using a computer is always a second option to most people unless your a tech-geek like us and know how use a VGA, HDMI, or S-Video cable....