Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Stimulus Bill Breakdown

http://a-list.msn.com/default.aspx?c...ulus+breakdown

Quote:
Stimulus Breakdown

At $787 billion, the federal stimulus package passed into law this month is enough for $2,500 for every man woman and child in the U.S., give or take a few thousand people.

You won't be getting a check like that, however. But even if you don't get a new "green technology" job or work on an expanded passenger rail capacity or any of the many other trickle-down spending aspects of the package, that doesn't mean you're out in the cold.

So, what's in it for you? Here are some the parts of the stimulus package that you may see a piece of:

(Note: Links go to search results for more information on each.)

In your paycheck. Thirteen dollars a week extra in their paychecks courtesy of a tax credit that begins, and this is true, on April Fools' Day. More for couples. No foolin'.

Low-income families that don't make enough to pay income taxes will get a $1,000 tax credit.

At the Realtor. First-time home buyers who buy before Dec. 1 will get an $8,000 tax credit.

At the dealership. Car buyers who buy this year can write off the sales taxes.

At the grocery. People who get food stamps will get more, and the unemployed will see an extra $25 a week.

In the house. There's a 30 percent tax credit up to $1,500 for those buying high-efficiency air conditioners, heat pumps or furnaces, replacing leaky windows or insulating their attics.

After that, it's all a billion here, a billion there. Pretty soon, it adds up to real money.
And for an additional bonus, a small town in Alabama (pop. 194), is requesting $375,000,000 or $2 million per person for mostly "green energy" (33 proposals, with 22 of them being for "green energy").

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/...-stimulus.html
Quote:
Along with the more traditional proposals to replace streetlights with solar-powered lights (cost: $3,479,200), to install solar panels on the town hall (cost: $77,000), and to build solar-powered recharging stations for electric golf carts and vehicles (cost: $620,000), Edwardsville and Talladega Springs have assembled a set of even more far-reaching projects.

An outlay of $50.4 million, for example, would go toward installing water pipelines beneath roads to soak up the sun's rays, transferring heat. That technology is currently being used in the Netherlands, which found that while the cost of installation was double that of normal gas heating, the system halved the amount of energy required.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Crickets...I really thought somebody would at least be upset about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
And for an additional bonus, a small town in Alabama (pop. 194), is requesting $375,000,000 or $2 million per person for mostly "green energy" (33 proposals, with 22 of them being for "green energy").

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/...-stimulus.html
Quote:
Along with the more traditional proposals to replace streetlights with solar-powered lights (cost: $3,479,200), to install solar panels on the town hall (cost: $77,000), and to build solar-powered recharging stations for electric golf carts and vehicles (cost: $620,000), Edwardsville and Talladega Springs have assembled a set of even more far-reaching projects.

An outlay of $50.4 million, for example, would go toward installing water pipelines beneath roads to soak up the sun's rays, transferring heat. That technology is currently being used in the Netherlands, which found that while the cost of installation was double that of normal gas heating, the system halved the amount of energy required.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:15 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Crickets...I really thought somebody would at least be upset about this:
Words can not describe. Everytime I hear something more about the stimulus spending, I just smack my forehead, shake my head in despair, and wonder why I bother to work.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

The money coming to Alabama, well, that doesn't count. We need the money.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:36 PM
CAVEMAN

It's like putting a band aid on a wound that needs stitching! I really am concerned about where this nation will be in a few months.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:41 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
It's like putting a band aid on a wound that needs stitching! I really am concerned about where this nation will be in a few months.
At least a bandaid would help a little.

I think it's more like cauterizing a wound with a flame thrower.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
Well, if it makes you feel better, just slap 52 out of every 100 people that you see on the street. Just tell them, "It's for that stupid decision you made back on November 4, 2008." Besides, you're getting f'ed, and they're just going to get a simple slap. I'd say you're still getting the worst part of the deal.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
At least a bandaid would help a little.

I think it's more like cauterizing a wound with a flame thrower.
that my good man,just might work.
darn,there is somebody on the other line,i'll have to put you on hold for a sec,
Old 02-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Preach

It's like spitting in the ocean
Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Crisco

I want some stimulus money...