Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Stump Rules!

Default Got Kindle?

Does anyone here have one of those Kindle reading devises? I was wonder what you thought of them.How do they work? Am I better off buying paper books?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
County Mike

It sounds pretty cool. I don't have one but I'm getting my Droid X very soon and it has a Kindle app you can install for free and then just pay for the books. Of course, the screen is pretty small so that might make it tough.

I think they have the old version on Amazon for $189. The new one is still crazy expensive considering you still have to buy the books.

I'll try it on my Droid but probably not for novels. That's too much reading on a small screen.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM
rearnakedchoke

i tried one out and it was pretty cool, but i got the ipad instead ...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think I'll stick to the library and get books for free. If I got a Kindle, I'd spend all my money downloading books.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM
philips4

My mother in-law has one and swears by it, she can no longer imagine not having it but reads all the time. I think she likes it best for travel.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Stump Rules!

Yeah, I'm going blind as I age so I'd need the big screen
I saw them on Amazon. The bigger one was twice as much as the original but held twice as many books but I don't think I need 3000 books.1500 should work. I want to touch one though

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
It sounds pretty cool. I don't have one but I'm getting my Droid X very soon and it has a Kindle app you can install for free and then just pay for the books. Of course, the screen is pretty small so that might make it tough.

I think they have the old version on Amazon for $189. The new one is still crazy expensive considering you still have to buy the books.

I'll try it on my Droid but probably not for novels. That's too much reading on a small screen.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by philips4 View Post
My mother in-law has one and swears by it, she can no longer imagine not having it but reads all the time. I think she likes it best for travel.
My grandparents have one, as well. They love it, though Granddaddy still says he misses the feel of the pages.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 PM

I think e-book readers are revolutionary. I saw a story yesterday that Kindle e-book sales at Amazon.com now surpass regular book sales at Amazon.com. I could see Kindles and iPads replacing textbooks for college students within 5 years. I don't think they will completely replace books because many people, including me, love the tactile sensation of paper and the aesthetics of a well-made book.

I was given an iPad as a gift about 2 months ago and it is a wonderful gadget. However, if I didn't already have an e-book reader I think I would wait a year or two to buy one. The prices are just now starting to fall a bit. There are many e-books on the market - iPad, Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, plus numerous lesser known brands. I suspect some will be discontinued. If that happens, hopefully books that have been purchased on one format can be used on another with an app.

If you read a lot of old books (100 years old or older) an e-book reader might make economic sense. Old books are free for download because they are in the public domain. There are tens of thousands of free titles available due to Project Gutenberg.

Most public libraries offer some books as downloads as e-books. Unfortunately, my public library works with the Sony Reader but not the iPad. I suspect that over the next couple of years, public libraries will wise-up and make many more e-book titles available and make them available for every e-book reader. (another reason to wait and see).

Currently, new e-book titles are about as much as a paperbook. On the order 0f $9-$12. I hope they start "renting" books for less, say $2-$3 to have the e-book on your e-book reader for a month before it erases itself.

I think an e-book reader is perfect for the following people
- People who like to read old books (1910 or earlier)
- People with access to a public library with a large selection of e-book titles that are compatible with their reader.
- People who spend a lot of time away from home - traveling salesmen, soldiers on deployment, people with a long train commute.

I like my iPad. I can store thousands of books (many of them free) like other e-book readers, but I can also surf the web, watch Netflix movies, use iPhone/iPad apps, listen to music (the iPad is essentially an iPod), etc. In addition, I think the iPad will become more and more useful in the future as a tool for many careers. It does come at a high cost currently.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
County Mike

Update:

I downloaded the Kindle app to my Droid. I then tried the sample of Marcus Luttrell's "Lone Survivor" book. It's pretty cool that you can get a sample for free. They give you the first couple of chapters. After you read them, you can decide if you want to buy the rest of the book or not. I chose to buy it. Great book so far.

I thought reading on the small screen would bother me, but it's not bad at all. I'm still not sure if the Kindle device is worth the money. That's up to you. But, if you have a smart phone I don't see any reason NOT to download the free Kindle app.