Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Irish Pride's Avatar
Irish Pride Irish Pride is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 621
Default Computer help! Please =)

So I've gotten help on here before with my computer so I figured why not try again.


Background: Had a wicked virus so I formatted. I don't usually do this but tried lots with it and had no luck. Anyways, all that is fixed.

New issue: I reloaded Windows XP Pro, drivers, etc etc.

Two things happened with IE

1. When I type in a URL on the address bar and hit enter, nothing happens. It does not recognize that I hit the enter key. It recognizes that I typed it, but when I hit enter it doesn't go to the site. I tried IE 6, IE 7, IE 8. It does it for all of them. In the mean time I downloaded firefox. Please don't say to just go with firefox, I'd like to know how I can fix this issue. I've never had this problem before. =(

2. It does not recognize my favorites. I exported my IE favorites before reformating, it saved it as bookmark.htm as it says it's supposed to. I go to import it and it says, "not a valid bookmark file." However, I can easily open the file and there are all my favorites inside. I've never had this problem before either. I've imported and exported several times before.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

I hate to have to say it....but I would just go with Firefox....

Seriously, IE is a joke. I would quit the internet if I still had to use it. It's a very likely possibility that IE is how you picked up the virus in the first place.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but when it comes to problems with IE, it could be a laundry list of things. It really is an abomination of a web-browser.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I hate to have to say it....but I would just go with Firefox....

Seriously, IE is a joke. I would quit the internet if I still had to use it. It's a very likely possibility that IE is how you picked up the virus in the first place.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but when it comes to problems with IE, it could be a laundry list of things. It really is an abomination of a web-browser.
Truth. I love me some Firefox. With all the add-ons, themes, etc., it's really easy to customize. I also liked Chrome when I tried it out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2010, 02:50 AM
Irish Pride's Avatar
Irish Pride Irish Pride is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 621
Default

Bleh ok and yes its probably how I got the virus.


What are some ways to customize firefox without getting a virus?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2010, 03:03 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
Bleh ok and yes its probably how I got the virus.


What are some ways to customize firefox without getting a virus?
Like, the look?

You can go to Tools, and then to Add-ons, and get new themes/skins for Firefox there, or do a google search for free skins (I use a Phoenix Suns skin). Firefox is good about blocking most crap, but you still gotta be careful when it comes to shady sites.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I either go firefox or google chrome.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Google is the new champion. Jump on.

Too bad I didn't buy Google stock years ago. They're going to take over much of the information world in the next decade.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Google is the new champion. Jump on.

Too bad I didn't buy Google stock years ago. They're going to take over much of the information world in the next decade.
I think so, Firefox used to be a fast beast but lately it seems to have gotten bogged down. Chromes just seems to load so much faster then fox and loads faster then IE even after I gave it a head start and fired it up first.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

I got no beef with Chrome

I downloaded it and I loved it, still using Firefox mostly though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 AM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
1. When I type in a URL on the address bar and hit enter, nothing happens. It does not recognize that I hit the enter key. It recognizes that I typed it, but when I hit enter it doesn't go to the site. I tried IE 6, IE 7, IE 8. It does it for all of them. In the mean time I downloaded firefox. Please don't say to just go with firefox, I'd like to know how I can fix this issue. I've never had this problem before. =(

2. It does not recognize my favorites. I exported my IE favorites before reformating, it saved it as bookmark.htm as it says it's supposed to. I go to import it and it says, "not a valid bookmark file." However, I can easily open the file and there are all my favorites inside. I've never had this problem before either. I've imported and exported several times before.
1. PLEASE stop using IE.
2. PLEASE stop using IE.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.