Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 PM
jason2130

Default internet question

il soon be moving to my dream home in the countryside and out of this miserable tourist trap of a city problem being i love my online games (WoW, Crimecraft, PS3 and xbox360), the only options i can find is a satelite service provider and dial-up (and not the fancy higher speed dial-up)

anyone use a satelite internet and play games?
i read the lag is bad in most cases (4-9sec delays) and the "Fair Use Policy" puts cap on how much bandwidth (do games use enough to matter? say in a 200mb a day limit)

has dial-up changed? my last expierience with dial up was 7-8 years ago when i spent more time connecting/reconnecting over and over than i did actually on the internet and games where out the question

i also read on a couple game forums about people using their cell phones for interet connections with a USB cable, get unlimited web access then use their phone as a modem (i have no idea on anything with this, i make calls on mine, only recently relized my phone takes pictures, as far as interent goes i have no clue what they do)

if anyone knows anything about these options, or has a suggestion i might have overlooked, any and all input is welcome, HELP SAVE MY GAMING!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:05 AM
surveyorshawn

Where are you moving to? Lots of places in the country have DSL now. I have Hughesnet, but I don't game, so I can't tell you much in that regard unfortunately. I also have a 3G mobile wifi hotspot that I keep in my Excursion for work and long trips, which is even faster that my satellite internet. I would use it at home, but I have a crappy cell signal here since I have a metal roof.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 AM
jason2130

Whitmire, SC nice quiet lil town

we've been checking all the providers out there the only thing we can find is a dial-up from att (and they dont seem positive if they provide us service) and hughesnet (but the guy we talked to wasnt sure how it would work on games)

i have great cell phone reception, only store in the town is a piggly wiggly and it has a huge cell tower in the parking lot which made me think about the cell phone method, but the cell phone method is the way i understand the least
Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

You aren't gonna be able to game on a 3G connection very effectively. Most companies have a limit on usage and the fees when you go over the limit are crazy. Not to mention it's slow and crappy.

As for a 200mb limit with a satellite provider, that is LOW...

Xbox live and live gaming for that matter doesn't use up too much bandwidth during actual gameplay, but any sort of data transfer, like downloading games, demos, or movies would kill you...

Sounds like you may be in a pickle...
Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130 View Post
il soon be moving to my dream home in the countryside and out of this miserable tourist trap of a city problem being i love my online games (WoW, Crimecraft, PS3 and xbox360), the only options i can find is a satelite service provider and dial-up (and not the fancy higher speed dial-up)

anyone use a satelite internet and play games? yes and it won't work
i read the lag is bad in most cases (4-9sec delays) and the "Fair Use Policy" puts cap on how much bandwidth (do games use enough to matter? say in a 200mb a day limit)lag is bad but latency is worse, research latency, it makes voice impossible

has dial-up changed? nomy last expierience with dial up was 7-8 years ago when i spent more time connecting/reconnecting over and over than i did actually on the internet and games where out the question

i also read on a couple game forums about people using their cell phones for interet connections with a USB cable, get unlimited web access then use their phone as a modem (i have no idea on anything with this, i make calls on mine, only recently relized my phone takes pictures, as far as interent goes i have no clue what they do)i think it is easier than it sounds

if anyone knows anything about these options, or has a suggestion well the stimulus is supposed to bring broadband to the rural areasi might have overlooked, any and all input is welcome, HELP SAVE MY GAMING! your best hope is, a company that sends out nothing but internet signal, while piggybacking off of a cell tower, that is what i have, the cell tower is visible from my house and they put what looks like a pizza box on the side of the house to catch signal then run it to the ethernet to the computer, so check local cell services for internet services aside from phone, in fact the cell company i get my cell from is who i get my house internet from and they said their cell internet ("3g") is so bad they don't offer it yet, it is a sudcompany of a subcompany of tmobile
good luck
Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You aren't gonna be able to game on a 3G connection very effectively. Most companies have a limit on usage and the fees when you go over the limit are crazy. Not to mention it's slow and crappy.

As for a 200mb limit with a satellite provider, that is LOW...

Xbox live and live gaming for that matter doesn't use up too much bandwidth during actual gameplay, but any sort of data transfer, like downloading games, demos, or movies would kill you...

Sounds like you may be in a pickle...
jb prolly knows better than i do but all i know for sure is that 3g is much much much better than sat internet
Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM
jason2130

thanks for the responses

seems like its gonna be a gamble either way...
hope the delay between the satelite and ground isnt to long or hope 3G can keep some games playable

prolly gonna try 3G first and thanks to JB already saved me a horrible first bill, the ad said "unlimited web access" but the reality was unlimited web with 50MB of data transfer a day, 1 good game patch or download and id have to of got a large loan to pay my phone bill
Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130 View Post
thanks for the responses

seems like its gonna be a gamble either way...
hope the delay between the satelite and ground isnt to long or hope 3G can keep some games playable

prolly gonna try 3G first and thanks to JB already saved me a horrible first bill, the ad said "unlimited web access" but the reality was unlimited web with 50MB of data transfer a day, 1 good game patch or download and id have to of got a large loan to pay my phone bill
I have a 3G card through sprint that I bought and I keep it on just so my dad and stepmom can have internet access at their home, and it's fine for web browsing, but I could just tell from the first day I got it that I wouldn't be able to use it like that.

Im also pretty sure that if you DO try to use a 3G card for Xbox live, you will have to daisy chain the Xbox to your computer and log on to Xbox live through your PC.