Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
The cartoon? Well, hell yeah!
LOL.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Black Mamba

I'm alittle bit confused by something here. Heck I'm getting even more confused by typing this out so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

Obama is half black and half something else (Hawaiian or white?) I don't remember the other half on top of my head. Now here's what I'm confused by: some people argue that Obama isn't black. His Daddy was black, and by definition that makes him black. I don't get why people say the otherwise. Ok so he isn't "fully black" (black mom, black dad) but he's still black.

I am half black, half white (black Daddy, white Mommy). By definition that makes me black. Now you can get all technical and say that I'm bi-racial which would be correct, however on all my applications I put black first because my Dad is black then white because of my Mom. I thought the head of the household stuff applied to that.

I guess what confuses me the most is people that are bi-racial are they suppose to claim the race that their Dad is and then Mom comes second? Or what? Or maybe this is a stupid question to ask.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:25 AM
bradwright

so let me see if i understand this,,your saying Obama is black?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba

I guess what confuses me the most is people that are bi-racial are they suppose to claim the race that their Dad is and then Mom comes second? Or what? Or maybe this is a stupid question to ask.
i'm pretty sure that Jewish people are only considered Jewish by blood, if their mom is Jewish? don't know how that applies to blacks, whites, etc....but that's one example where the mom is the determining factor.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Hughes_GOAT

also, i read somewhere that Obama's dad is not even full black, that he's mostly Arab but was born in Africa. so at the very least, if this is true, then he's half white and less than half black.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Hughes_GOAT

here's one of the references to his dad not being black, possibly.

http://kennethelamb.blogspot.com/200...ut-ethnic.html
Old 02-27-2009, 02:35 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba
I'm alittle bit confused by something here. Heck I'm getting even more confused by typing this out so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

Obama is half black and half something else (Hawaiian or white?) I don't remember the other half on top of my head. Now here's what I'm confused by: some people argue that Obama isn't black. His Daddy was black, and by definition that makes him black. I don't get why people say the otherwise. Ok so he isn't "fully black" (black mom, black dad) but he's still black.

I am half black, half white (black Daddy, white Mommy). By definition that makes me black. Now you can get all technical and say that I'm bi-racial which would be correct, however on all my applications I put black first because my Dad is black then white because of my Mom. I thought the head of the household stuff applied to that.

Danelle, being able to claim whichever race you want was not freely given in the past. When blacks here were mainly slaves and for a while after when it was all about segregation, the babies were considered to be the race of the mother. That was to benefit politics among other things. Such as, if a white man impregnated a black woman the child couldn't claim to be white and have the same rights as a white man (such as voting, etc.)

Side note: Did you know that for a short time after the Civil War a white man was not allowed to vote if he had been involved in the rebellion (i.e. a man who fought for the south was only one thing that would meet this criteria) and neither could his decendants. However, at that time the black man could vote. Republicans had the monoply on the black vote so they certainly wanted any mixed babes to be considered black because it was an extra vote for them. And you could vote in the south if you had been in the rebellion IF you were black.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Black Mamba

Wow, I learned something new today. Thanks Denise.

And thanks for digging that up Goat, that also clears some air up too.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
County Mike

Danelle, I think you can choose to go by whichever you want. Personally, I'd pick whatever one was best for the situation.

On a job application, etc. I put down "black" because it's likely to help you get the job. If you're trying to get into a snobby country club, put "white".

Take advantage of your options. Both of my parents are "white" but I was born in Spain. I'm going to put "Spaniard" down on any future applications.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

In Texas for birth certificates on newborns we had to list the baby as whatever race mom is. Dad didn't come into play at all until after baby and mom were discharged from the hospital. Then they could get all that stuff changed if they wanted to but it is a hassle.

~Amy

My son made this for me: