Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Unhappy Does anyone remember...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7-9B_1oD84

I think I might be the only person in the whole of Northern England who remembers its a sad testiment to the state of our Nation, that within five years noone can remember an attack on the Capital City. Not a word in any of the National Newspapers, or at least not any that I could find. No moments silence (that only happened the first year...after that I assume it was just too much effort for the authorities to muster....) its like it never happened

Why is that? is it because we have seen so much of this kind of thing that we have become so desensatized that it no longer registers? Is it because we are so apethetic that we just absent mindedly forget about it.

Its days like today that I wish I wasnt British...not because of what happened...but because of how we respond...or dont respond, to events like this. Its hard to take pride in a country that forgets its own recent war dead...because in essence that is exactly what they are.

But dont worry...because Cheryl Cole has Malaria, and David Cameron is going to pay millions of pounds in compensation to the British newly released inmates of Guantanamo bay because of the possibility British Forces complied in torture techniques...oh and Fabio Cappello is here to stay regardless of the world cup disastor

what have we become
Old 07-08-2010, 01:46 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7-9B_1oD84

I think I might be the only person in the whole of Northern England who remembers its a sad testiment to the state of our Nation, that within five years noone can remember an attack on the Capital City. Not a word in any of the National Newspapers, or at least not any that I could find. No moments silence (that only happened the first year...after that I assume it was just too much effort for the authorities to muster....) its like it never happened

Why is that? is it because we have seen so much of this kind of thing that we have become so desensatized that it no longer registers? Is it because we are so apethetic that we just absent mindedly forget about it.

Its days like today that I wish I wasnt British...not because of what happened...but because of how we respond...or dont respond, to events like this. Its hard to take pride in a country that forgets its own recent war dead...because in essence that is exactly what they are.

But dont worry...because Cheryl Cole has Malaria, and David Cameron is going to pay millions of pounds in compensation to the British newly released inmates of Guantanamo bay because of the possibility British Forces complied in torture techniques...oh and Fabio Cappello is here to stay regardless of the world cup disastor

what have we become
Your country has had to endure so much, so many attacks from different groups; as an observer from across the pond, I admire the British for enduring. If the folks in the U.K. are feeling a little bit worn by all of this, I don't think anyone over here would criticize them.

Tyburn, the next time you hear your national anthem being played, stand tall and feel proud.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan47 View Post
Your country has had to endure so much, so many attacks from different groups; as an observer from across the pond, I admire the British for enduring. If the folks in the U.K. are feeling a little bit worn by all of this, I don't think anyone over here would criticize them.

Tyburn, the next time you hear your national anthem being played, stand tall and feel proud.
I will try

No time like the present

apart from the missing Coronation Fanfare...(which you can hear, if you really want to at the 2.20 min mark in the bottom video) this one is a very good rendition. We used to let the trumpets up onto the Choir Balcony to perform the Coronation Fanfare at Saint Paul's...there was a video of one of the occasions...but its dissapeared now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Zoe0NRRkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLDcQhwHxws

Old 07-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLXIBz11zE

I found the Coronation Fanfare btw its right at the start cant believe they didnt do the second verse considering it was her Jubillee though Its funny, because the National Anthem is always played as the closing statement of anything, right before the Recessional, so the Vergers, who lead the recessional out of the building, are waiting close by but usually out of sight. One place is within the wooden structure itself, its hollow so we would wait in the woodwork just behind the front pannels, the trumpets are really quite loud, and the wood also acts a little like part of the organ casing...so when the Organ joins the trumpets on the very last note with a extraordinarily deep chord, the whole woodwork shakes and vibrates...you dont really get how impressive it is from the recordings unless you are standing and feeling the ground shake during that last chord LOL

Last edited by Tyburn; 07-11-2010 at 11:13 AM.