Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-06-2010, 04:12 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default What's Next for the 116 Winners?

http://www.fighters.com/07/06/ufc-11...e2%80%99s-best

Quote:
Brendan Schaub: Aside from a humbling TKO loss to Roy Nelson, Brendan Schaub has looked like an all-out wrecking machine in the UFC. I don’t see him vaulting up the division in the same way Roy Nelson did, but I do see him being a big threat to the UFC’s middle-of-the-road Heavyweights. If Schaub can give us at least one (but preferably two) more dominating wins, he may even be ready to break into the top tier.

Stephan Bonnar: Stephan Bonnar could have easily found himself in the same unemployment line as recent UFC castoff Keith Jardine: a talented fighter that puts on great performances win or lose, but just can’t measure up to the current star power of the division he competes in. Bonnar fought like his life was on the line (rather than just his livelihood) at UFC 116, and has earned the right to stay in one of the UFC’s most dangerous divisions. Next up for Bonnar: a long uphill battle to see if he is finally ready for the best of the division.

Chris Lytle: A veteran of over 14 UFC fights, with over 50 professional MMA fights, Chris “Lights Out” Lytle has become one of my “dark horse” favorites. Lytle’s ground game continues to be under-rated, and with two back-to-back impressive submission victories, one more impressive win could give Lytle the chance to mix it up with the division’s best, something he hasn’t done since 2008 when he lost a decision to Josh Koscheck.

George Sotiropoulos: George Sotiropoulos continues to show flashes of brilliance in his constantly-improving UFC outings, and may in fact only be a couple of fights away from a shot at the UFC Lightweight Championship. In a Lightweight division that was blown wide open when current UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar defeated former champion BJ Penn, Sotiropoulos as champion is a very real possibility. Next for George: either an all-out brawl with Clay Guida or a highly technical showdown with Kenny Florian.

Chris Leben: Chris Leben earned the respect and admiration of many when he showed up on two week’s notice to take on the world-ranked Yoshihiro Akiyama. Only something as amazing as the thrilling submission victory by UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar over former UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion Shane Carwin could have stolen the spotlight from Leben’s thrilling come-from-behind victory via triangle choke. Moving forward, I think Leben will get his wish in the form of a fight with Wanderlei Silva, but it’ll be later rather than sooner. Silva is one of the toughest Mixed Martial Artists of all time, but I see him out for several months due to various injuries. If Leben keeps busy and keeps winning, a showdown with “The Axe Murderer” is inevitable.

Brock Lesnar: So much has already been said about Lesnar’s thrilling victory at UFC 116: how he absorbed insane amounts of damage in order to survive Round 1, his struggles with diverticulitis leading up to this mega-fight, his newfound stance as a humble champion, I could go on and on. But rather than looking at why his future is so bright, let’s focus on his future, period. Cain Velasquez may prove to be a stiffer test for Lesnar than even Shane Carwin. If Lesnar can beat Cain in the same thrilling way as he did Shane Carwin, then I truly think we’ll have entered the “Era of Lesnar”. Love him or hate him, if he keeps winning in one of the UFC’s most stacked divisions, Lesnar could one day be viewed in the same light as Anderson Silva or Georges St-Pierre, even Fedor Emelianenko: one of the best of all time.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:18 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Well, I screwed up a bit. Meant to title this thread something like "UFC 116 Articles" so I'd only be creating 1 thread no one would read instead of 18.

Anyhow, here's the 2nd article:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/0...th-of-ufc-116/

Quote:
Now on to the best and worst of UFC 116.

Biggest Winner: Chris Leben
I know, I know, you were expecting it to be Brock Lesnar. But Leben's the guy who did something no other UFC fighter has ever done by winning two fights in the span of three weekends. Like Frank Sinatra (and to a lesser extent, Sid Vicious) he also did it his way, turning the fight into the kind of toe-to-toe slobberknocker he's long been known for. Not only did he boost his own stock with the consecutive wins, but he also stacked some serious paper over the last couple weeks. Sounds to me like he earned himself a vacation while he waits for Wanderlei Silva to heal up.

Biggest Loser: Fans who missed this event to spend time with their families
Seriously, what were you thinking? For one, 4th of July is among the best holidays precisely because there's no family element involved. You didn't really need to drive to your in-laws' house and fly to see your sister's new baby. Save that stuff for Thanksgiving. In your foolishness, you missed the best fight card of the year. Honestly, there wasn't a single bad fight (though Grove-Reljic did end the night on a bit of a downer) and no fighter really emerged looking worse for his efforts. It was a great night. But I'm sure your grandmother's house was fun, too.

Best Comeback: Brock Lesnar
So much for the theory that Lesnar is a schoolyard bully who will crumple up and quit the first time he gets punched in the nose. Instead, he's more like a bully who will fall down, wait for you to wear yourself out with emotionally charged punches, then come back to choke you out once you're exhausted. The win still leaves quite a few what-ifs about Lesnar's overall abilities, but at least for the moment he gets to savor the victory.

Most Disturbing Trend: Yoshihiro Akiyama's poor cardio
Akiyama has now had two fights in the UFC, and in both he's started off strong only to fade in the later rounds. He doesn't just slow down, either. He gets exhausted. He starts huffing and puffing like Phil Baroni used to – that kind of overwhelming outward fatigue that makes even the spectators feel like they need to sit down and maybe even vomit. If it happens once, it's forgivable. If it happens twice, it's a pattern.

Most Deserving of a Bonus That He Didn't Get: Chris Lytle
His triangle-armbar combo was not only a more difficult submission to pull off than Lesnar's choke, but he also had to apply it on an opponent who wasn't so exhausted that he could only stare up at the ceiling until it was time to tap. Not to mention, Lesnar went home with millions of dollars anyway. You're telling me he's even going to notice the extra $75,000 for Submission of the Night? It's a drop in the bucket for him, while for Lytle it would have been an entire swimming pool. Perhaps literally. And just in time for summer, too.

Biggest Disappointment: Shane Carwin's first experience with the 2nd round
Maybe we can't blame Carwin for failing to pace himself better when he had Lesnar hurt. He'd never been past one round in his entire pro career before Saturday night. Round two must have seemed like little more than a theory to him, like time travel. Sure, it sounds fun, but the next thing you know you accidentally prevent your grandfather and grandmother from meeting one another and then your legs gets so heavy that you can't stop the takedown. Or something like that.

Most Needed Victory: Stephan Bonnar
Before UFC 116, Bonnar's last win came in October of 2007. George Bush was in the White House, Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" was still a non-ironic hit, and Eric Schafer, who Bonnar beat via TKO, was still in the UFC. It's been a rough go for Bonnar since then (and for Amy Winehouse), but he finally got back in the win column when he stopped Krzysztof Soszynski this weekend. Is it just me, or did his emotional post-fight speech sound eerily similar to a farewell speech?

Most (Hopefully) Empty Retirement Threat: Kurt Pellegrino
He said he'd retire the next time he lost a fight. Against George Sotiropoulos on Saturday night, it seemed like he just ran out of time. Pellegrino's still just 31, and he's 4-1 in his last five fights, so there's no need to call it quits. Unless, of course, he doesn't feel that he has it in him to go on. Let's hope that was more a pre-fight motivating tool than a vow he intends to hold himself to. "Batman" can almost certainly still compete in the UFC's lightweight class, and fans would still like to see him try.

Most Likely to Slam Someone into an Alternate Reality: Gerald Harris
Harris' third-round knockout via cage-rattling slam against Dave Branch earned him a KO of the Night bonus and an appearance on SportsCenter's Top Plays, where his brutal finish was sandwiched between some dudes fielding ground balls. I don't care how hard it is to throw someone out at first, it sure doesn't seem so impressive after seeing Harris slam someone into a state of temporary rigor mortis now does it?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 PM
billwilliams70

Good read.....thanks for postin'.

Later.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:20 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

"Five Things We Learned About Brock Lesnar at UFC 116" - http://www.fighters.com/07/06/five-t...nar-at-ufc-116

Quote:
1. Lesnar has the heart of a champion: Every other fighter that had tasted Carwin’s power had either gone to sleep or saw a referee pulling him off of them moments later. But Lesnar was able to persevere through not just one big shot, but a torrent of them. He was cut; he was bloody. But somehow, he made it through a gripping round one.

“I just had to weather the storm,” Lesnar said after the fight. “He’s got some heavy shots. I just had to hang on and I knew he was getting tired. Each shot was less dramatic than the other and I just had to let him go.”

When you add in the fact that less than a year ago Lesnar was lying in a Canadian hospital bed with career threatening surgery for diverticulitis hanging over him, his heart is just that much more pronounced. Love him or hate him, Lesnar is willing to put it all on the line to win.

2. Lesnar still needs to work on his striking skills: Some guessed this coming into the Carwin fight. That said, it was hard to really know. After all, Lesnar had dropped Randy Couture with strikes in their previous encounter; he had also dizzied Frank Mir (first fight) and Heath Herring with his fists in earlier bouts.

But Carwin absolutely demolished him standing. In fact, Lesnar really just covered up once he tasted his opponent’s power and looked pretty uncomfortable for the short period of time he was left standing in the initial stanza. This has some believing that Cain Velasquez is going to do a number on him when they fight.

3. Lesnar has an excellent jaw: People often think that heart and a jaw go together, but they don’t always. You can want to win and be willing to go through all types of adversity/injuries to do so and still have a jaw or chin that doesn’t allow you to stay awake once you get hit.

Anyway, if you can take one of Carwin’s power shots that means you have a good jaw. If you can take as many as Lesnar did, that means you’re a beast.

4. Lesnar is learning that MMA fans like a more humble champion than professional wrestling fans do: This one is easy. Look at the difference between the embarrassing way Lesnar acted after the Mir fight, and the way he acted after the Carwin encounter.

“I stand before you a humble champion,” Lesnar said after UFC 116. Enough said.

5. Lesnar Can Still Win Over MMA Fans: He hasn’t exactly been one of the more popular MMA champions to date (popular in a good way, anyhow). But after his victory over Carwin there were a heck of a lot more cheers for him than he’s heard after most of his wins.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
Good read.....thanks for postin'.

Later.
No problem. I've really started to enjoy MMAFighting.com alot recently. Their articles are very well written & insightful. On top of the Ariel Helwani is one of the (if not THE) best interviewers in the game right now.