Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Why would you say Brock Lesnar is a "hero", JB?
Because I love the guy.

I have always felt like he gets a bad rap for the wrong reasons amongst MMA fans, so anytime he shuts up the haters it makes me smile.

Also, he is the biggest draw in MMA and winning that fight in such a gutsy and gritty fashion is only going to draw more fans. So, in a sense he is kind of a hero to the UFC for succeeding. He is their cover boy now, and having him back and winning is going to propel the sport even higher.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I cant believe that Lesnar actually won
Believe it Dave!

Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Love you flo. the boy gased out another 30 secounds and it would have been all over!!!!Then I would have been the one sending the text to Matt that said,"Just pay me the next time you see me".
Right back at ya, Silver!

Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Because I love the guy.

I have always felt like he gets a bad rap for the wrong reasons amongst MMA fans, so anytime he shuts up the haters it makes me smile.

Also, he is the biggest draw in MMA and winning that fight in such a gutsy and gritty fashion is only going to draw more fans. So, in a sense he is kind of a hero to the UFC for succeeding. He is their cover boy now, and having him back and winning is going to propel the sport even higher.
You sound like GOAT! I mean, I don't know if GOAT "loves" the guy, but he's said the same thing basically about people just seeing Brock as the WWE/F (whichever) guy and not realizing his wrestling background/credentials.

Who did y'all say he's getting next, Cain? I guess you know who I'll be rooting for.

Let's talk Carwin: I've read the things you Lesnar peeps had to say. I haven't gone back and rewatched the fight (but I will) to see if I can see all this "intelligent defending". Obviously, he wore himself out in that first round so he needs to work on that. I heard Rich Franklin say something on TUF recently that I think Shane needs to work on, "fighting more efficiently". He's got the power, but I think he was so in the moment after that uppercut that pushed Brock back, and he's so used to getting it over with in the first few minutes of his fights that he wasn't fighting as smart as he could have especially against someone of Brock's size and caliber.

I mentioned this in a previous post about maybe he could have used his knees to the body to save his hands and energy, or he could have let Brock stand up again. I think Shane has so much potential. I hope him and his team can work on harnessing all that power to make it work for him in a more efficient and more effective way so he's not blow'n himself out in the first round of a fight.

I'm with Chuck, it's no fun watching Brock fight if he doesn't have a worthy opponent that can really give him some competition. And, despite, last night's outcome, I do think Shane can beat him.

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-05-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
WARNING: Do not post or operate heavy equipment while experiencing this phenomenon. Seek immediate medical help if it lasts longer than 4 hours as this condition could become permanent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
If it last longer then 4 hours, I am still having fun

When I heard that commercial for the first time, I was like, "wait...I thought guys would be thrilled to...." You know what they say, "Too much of a good thing....can be bad for ya!"
Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
You sound like GOAT! I mean, I don't know if GOAT "loves" the guy, but he's said the same thing basically about people just seeing Brock as the WWE/F (whichever) guy and not realizing his wrestling background/credentials.

Who did y'all say he's getting next, Cain? I guess you know who I'll be rooting for.

Let's talk Carwin: I've read the things you Lesnar peeps had to say. I haven't gone back and rewatched the fight (but I will) to see if I can see all this "intelligent defending". Obviously, he wore himself out in that first round so he needs to work on that. I heard Rich Franklin say something on TUF recently that I think Shane needs to work on, "fighting more efficiently". He's got the power, but I think he was so in the moment after that uppercut that pushed Brock back, and he's so used to getting it over with in the first few minutes of his fights that he wasn't fighting as smart as he could have especially against someone of Brock's size and caliber.

I mentioned this in a previous post about maybe he could have used his knees to the body to save his hands and energy, or he could have let Brock stand up again. I think Shane has so much potential. I hope him and his team can work on harnessing all that power to make it work for him in a more efficient and more effective way so he's not blow'n himself out in the first round of a fight.

I'm with Chuck, it's no fun watching Brock fight if he doesn't have a worthy opponent that can really give him some competition. And, despite, last night's outcome, I do think Shane can beat him.
You know me, I like to be fair. Shane Carwin could have definitely beat Lesnar last night, but he failed to capitalize on the opportunity properly. Lesnar has his flaws in the Boxing department, but we already knew that. The thing that hinged on this fight being win or lose for Carwin was always his ability to catch Brock early and put him away, and he failed. Everybody that was so sure Lesnar would lose all said the same thing, "Brock's chin is going to be exposed". Well, Brock's chin was exposed, as being made of granite. Carwin's gas tank was also exposed, as being the size of a weed-whacker's.

You mentioned intelligent defense, and this is a term that is coming up quite often lately, so I figured I would ask you.... What do YOU, personally, feel constitutes "intelligent defense"? Also, what should the standard for Ref's be? Is it better to have a fight stopped too early or too late?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:53 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Brock Lesnar - Hero.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_4IQmvXnw

I was personally hoping to find a montage with Brock that used this song in the background, but the first one is still cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhW1Kyxpfw
Old 07-05-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You know me, I like to be fair. Shane Carwin could have definitely beat Lesnar last night, but he failed to capitalize on the opportunity properly. Lesnar has his flaws in the Boxing department, but we already knew that. The thing that hinged on this fight being win or lose for Carwin was always his ability to catch Brock early and put him away, and he failed. Everybody that was so sure Lesnar would lose all said the same thing, "Brock's chin is going to be exposed". Well, Brock's chin was exposed, as being made of granite. Carwin's gas tank was also exposed, as being the size of a weed-whacker's.

You mentioned intelligent defense, and this is a term that is coming up quite often lately, so I figured I would ask you.... What do YOU, personally, feel constitutes "intelligent defense"? Also, what should the standard for Ref's be? Is it better to have a fight stopped too early or too late?
JB, I didn't mention intelligent defense, you guys did! I was just saying I'm going to go back and watch the video to see if I can see all this "intelligent defending" y'all said he was doing. He just looked like he had his hands over his face trying not to get hit as we often see fighters doing when punches are raining on 'em. He wasn't trying to catch Shane's hands and hold 'em or trying to get in a position to get to his feet. The fights I've ever seen where a fighter is just covering his head and not doing anything but shielding, after a time, the ref has stopped it and called it. To answer your last question, "Neither is better." The first is crappy 'cause it cheats the one fighter (IMO) and the crowd, and the other can be dangerous to the health/life of a fighter.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
JB, I didn't mention intelligent defense, you guys did! I was just saying I'm going to go back and watch the video to see if I can see all this "intelligent defending" y'all said he was doing. He just looked like he had his hands over his face trying not to get hit as we often see fighters doing when punches are raining on 'em. He wasn't trying to catch Shane's hands and hold 'em or trying to get in a position to get to his feet. The fights I've ever seen where a fighter is just covering his head and not doing anything but shielding, after a time, the ref has stopped it and called it. To answer your last question, "Neither is better." The first is crappy 'cause it cheats the one fighter (IMO) and the crowd, and the other can be dangerous to the health/life of a fighter.
I realize that we brought it up, but I just wanted to ask because you specifically touched on it as well.

Now, okay, you are correct that he was using his hands and arms to cover his face, and YES, some refs would have called it in that position, but that would not have been acceptable reffing IMO, and too often we think of that as the standard when it's really not.

Brock did spend time shielding punches when Carwin mounted the worst of his onslaught, which lasted all of 1 minute, but during the down-times in that period Brock was moving, coherent, and even threw some up-kicks. Had Carwins big heavy shots actually connected with Brocks face instead of his gloves and forearms, we might be having a different discussion right now. Carwin landed the big elbow that cut Brock, but the rest were salt and pepper shots which largely grazed the top and sides of Brock's skull.

As for early or late stoppages, I agree that neither are good, as obviously we would all like to walk away from every fight feeling like everything was perfect with the officiating, but I will ALWAYS say that an early stoppage is better than a late stoppage. Early stoppages may rob fighters of precious victories and even money, but late stoppages can rob a person of their well-being and in severe cases it could cost them their life. No Prizefight is worth that sacrifice.

As always though, you know, I love the banter on Sundays after a big fight.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Posted on his blog this morning at 8am -
Quote:
I appreciate the outpouring of support and everyone who showed up at The Foundation Room last night after the fight. You guys know how to make a man feel like a winner even on his lowest of days. I really do want to thank #TeamCarwin. You guys pushed me up this mountain and many of you have
been with me for a long time. I will need your help to climb back to the top so I appreciate you standing by me.

The game plan last night was to be patient and let the fight come to you. When I had him in trouble the ref keep saying he was going to stop it and then towards the end of the 1st my body began to seize up. In between rounds I could not move my legs and had what felt like a whole body cramp. My cardio was fine but my body was not. What can you do? You have to stand up and face your opponent.

Heading into the second I knew I need to finish the fight or I was going to be in trouble. Much like the Champion he is I am sure Brock was thinking the same thing. I had zero take down defense as my legs were dead to me and the rest is as they say history.

Brock was a good guy through this entire fight. He did not talk a bunch of smack and he fought like a warrior. He did what he needed to do to keep his belt and that is what being a Champion is all about. I am going to have to claw my way back to the top but I wouldn't want it any other way. I know I belong
with the very best; all I need to do is prove it again.

Loosing is what happens on the way to winning. I will be back and better from the lessons learned in this fight.

Thank you to my Coaches, Sponsors, Manager, Family, Friends and Fans.

-Carwin