Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default UFC signs Yoshihiro Akiyama !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...8248&zoneid=13
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Yoshihiro-Akiyama-11895
Quote:
“I’m excited to bring Akiyama into the UFC and I can see him making an immediate impact in the middleweight division,” said UFC President Dana White. “Besides his great judo and submission game, he’s a finisher, and UFC fans are going to love watching him because he always shows up to fight.”

Born of Korean descent in Osaka, Japan, Akiyama first made his name in the international sports world as a decorated black belt in judo who collected numerous titles, including a Gold medal in the 2002 Asian Games.

By 2004, Akiyama sought a new challenge in the world of mixed martial arts, and he made an immediate impact on Dec. 31, 2004, when he debuted with a first-round submission win in his bout against former world heavyweight boxing champion Francois Botha.

Over the next three years, the 5-foot, 10-inch tall Akiyama built a stellar reputation as one of the best fighters in the world, submitting highly-touted knockout artist Melvin Manhoef, knocking out UFC middleweight Denis Kang, and engaging in battles with the likes of Kazushi Sakuraba and Kazuo Misaki. In 2008, the 33-year-old continued his run of excellence, submitting Katsuyori Shibata and Masanori Tonooka to up his stellar MMA record to 12-1 and two no-contests, with none of his bouts going the distance.
I am soo pumped about this, this guy is SICK
His Judo is wayyy on another level from any UFC fighter.
I am exited to see him mix it up in the MW division, good stuff.

video of him and Kang if you haven't seen him fight.
http://www.cagepotato.com/ufc-signs-yoshihiro-akiyama
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

why'd they sign him now? he can't use Vaseline anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
His Judo is wayyy on another level from any UFC fighter.
Uh oh! Better hope Joe Rogan doesn't read this or else he's going to throw the Karo argument at you!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Uh oh! Better hope Joe Rogan doesn't read this or else he's going to throw the Karo argument at you!
Akiyama is much more decorated.

Karo has 6 Junior National Wins, Akiyama has pro wins in big tourney's.
and in Asia, where Judo is much more popular and the competition is a LOT more stiff
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
why'd they sign him now? he can't use Vaseline anymore?
lol

That was on his Gi, he never greases his skin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
lol

That was on his Gi, he never greases his skin
well, he can't use a Gi in the UFC unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 PM
bj44's Avatar
bj44 bj44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,107
Default

akiyama is a punk, a good fighter though lol. Hope he gets someone good his first find and catches a beatdown. Give him Marquardt!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Uh oh! Better hope Joe Rogan doesn't read this or else he's going to throw the Karo argument at you!
Yoshihiro is completely on another level.. even Rogan has to admit that.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44
akiyama is a punk, a good fighter though lol. Hope he gets someone good his first find and catches a beatdown. Give him Marquardt!!!
Why would you say he is a punk?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
well, he can't use a Gi in the UFC unfortunately.
lol well of course not, it isn't a judo match,
the BJJ champions can't wear theirs either.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.