Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-25-2010, 08:07 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Kendall Grove rips SpikeTV

Quote:
"Spike TV pretty much runs everything on The Ultimate Fighter. They could be sub-leasing the UFC name, but I'm sure Dana and the UFC are getting a nice little pay check from Spike but other than that, Spike runs the thing. Dana doesn't choose who's going to be on the show, it's Spike executives. Even when I was on there in the earlier seasons, they were picking a couple guys with funny personalities. I'm pretty sure I got on there not because of my good looks, but because I had a pretty good personality. Everything is ratings to these guys. Just like that season where they shot [expletive] inside the fruit...people do that stuff. Why? Because of ratings. Is it a health violation? Yeah, but did you see the Spike TV people stop that from happening? It sells ratings and that's all they care about. They could give two [expletives] about our career. They just care about the six-weeks that they're shooting and get as much drama and stupidity out of us. That's all we are to them is cattle and sheep. They way they run things, they're slowly controlling us to be like that."
And because of that, his fight's been bumped off the televised pre-lims list in favor of Seth Petruzelli.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 PM
County Mike

He's 100% right. My friend, Al Buck, applied for the show years ago. UFC wanted him but Spike said "no" because he had been arrested before. They missed out.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
He's 100% right. My friend, Al Buck, applied for the show years ago. UFC wanted him but Spike said "no" because he had been arrested before. They missed out.
I always said it seemed they had more jackasses on the show then people who wanted a real career as a UFC fighter..
Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Seriously? Arrests make you ineligible??

Seems to me as though all these jokers were on TUF . . .

EDIT: I'm calling shenanigans on Spike, not Mike or Al. Just FYI
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Wait a minute, Kendall Grove is whining because Spike doesn't care about his career? Boohoo. Last time I looked we live in a capitalistic society, the bottom line is profit and controvery/bad behavior sells.

I don't always like it but that's the reality and if you bite the hand that feeds you, there are usually consequences.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 PM
County Mike

Al applied for one of the early seasons. Spike may have changed their policies since then. Not sure if Junie had his arrests BEFORE he was on the show though.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Wait a minute, Kendall Grove is whining because Spike doesn't care about his career? Boohoo. Last time I looked we live in a capitalistic society, the bottom line is profit and controvery/bad behavior sells.

I don't always like it but that's the reality and if you bite the hand that feeds you, there are usually consequences.
You are absolutely right in every point you make here Flo.

However, I would say that Capitalism is a two way street, there are buyers and sellers. Kendall might not be smart to bite the hand that feeds him, but Spike TV and the UFC would be equally as dumb to bite OUR hands. We, as fans, have the ultimate control over what we choose to purchase and watch on our televisions or computers.

If the UFC wants to maintain credibility as the organization that caters to ONLY the best fighters in the world in terms of Mixed Martial Arts, they would be wise NOT to leave the selection of competitors up to the producers at Spike TV. "The Ultimate Fighter" has not really been churning out the cream of the crop in terms of talent lately. Sure, there are a few fighters who were on the show in recent years who have done OKAY, but nothing like the guys from the early seasons. Really, how long can the UFC sit back and think that it's okay to keep using this show as a launching pad for talent when most of the TUF fighters fail to have any success. Eventually, that will start reflecting poorly on the company among the "water-cooler" fans, and that will be about the time you hear of a new show in TUF's time-slot.

Granted, I will admit that it often takes time for talent to manifest, and for things to play out in the fight world. It took Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans about 4 years, respectively, to make it to the point where they won a Championship after winning on the show. However, the talent level on the whole has dropped significantly, which simply takes no more than the "eye test" to see, and the amount of overblown hype and post editing has gotten worse. In my opinion, the show has run it's course and the sport no longer needs it's "Trojan Horse" to introduce it to the mainstream.

No more constantly feeding professional fighters a truckload of booze in hopes to get that epic camera shot that bumps you up in the Nielsen Ratings, no more trashing a million dollar house, no more breaking the same UFC office door, and certainly, God willing, no awkward "final season" with Dana crying at the end and shutting off the lights to an empty gym. In my honest opinion, the UFC should be on a network that will bring some more integrity to what the sport is and what it is trying to represent.

Last edited by J.B.; 06-26-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 PM

I was hoping you'd weigh in, JB; I hadn't even thought of that aspect (and judging by comments on this forum, we fans have had enough of the TUF garbage). Yes, I want to see legitimate prospects without all the drama, maybe Mike's friend would have made the big time if given a chance. I sure would have rather seen him than, say, Jamie Yaeger. Anyway, well-said as always.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I was hoping you'd weigh in, JB; I hadn't even thought of that aspect (and judging by comments on this forum, we fans have had enough of the TUF garbage). Yes, I want to see legitimate prospects without all the drama, maybe Mike's friend would have made the big time if given a chance. I sure would have rather seen him than, say, Jamie Yaeger. Anyway, well-said as always.
Thanks flo, although upon a second read I had to edit one sentence of my post for redundantly using the word "simple".

Seriously though, I really do think the UFC deserves better at this point. Spike TV got their ratings, (which is what they wanted) and they served their purpose (which is what Zuffa wanted). I think now would be the absolute best time to just walk away from the TUF show and pursue a new avenue for farming talent. They already own the WEC and have a TV deal with VS, why not use the WEC as a farm system for all weight classes? They could still put cards on Spike TV, just don't do the whole "reality show" crap and get back to focusing on THE FIGHTS.

The reason 24/7 for HBO Boxing is so good is because they are done as "one-off" shows that hype up specific fights of BIG fighters. Sure, they give you some background into their personal lives, like TUF does, but do we really need 10 or 12 weeks of it with fighters that most people have never heard of? Also, for that matter, TUF is more like a twisted lab experiment than anything else, at least when you get background on fighters in other shows they go to THEIR camps and THEIR homes. Where was this when Matt Hughes and Chuck Liddell where coming up, and better yet why give that amount of attention to no-name fighters and NOT to your best champions and competitors? I know they do the "All Access" shows and the "Countdown" shows, but could you imagine if the biggest stars were given the amount of extra exposure the TUF fighters are getting?

The problem with that though is that it would sell the fighters too much and not the brand name, and that's why we get the product we do. We wouldn't want the fighters thinking they are like Fedor, or Heaven forbid Floyd Mayweather Jr. Then they might actually be taking home the lions share of the money THEY are earning. Unfortunately, greed is one of the ickier tasting parts of capitalism, however it only exists by design and not by necessity. The fighters can ultimately win that battle if they choose to, but it seems like too many fall by the wayside in a business that is as unforgiving monetarily as it is physically.

Last edited by J.B.; 06-26-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Kendall should have kept his trap shut

If what he is saying is true, and I'm pretty sure it probably is, I think the UFC probably hand TUF to spike because they have so much else to do and the show whilst good has waned recently, if, when it tanks, Dana can blame Spike He might have known there would be repuccusions. You know, if you get wronged by an insitution, you have to decided if its worth going public or not, choose your battles...only really need to go public if its a matter of life and death sort of thing....clearly TUF is not that sorta matter for anyone.

He made himself victim to this demotion. Really, not very clever at all.