Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Dean of Mean Gets Loses UFC Tenure

I came up with that thread title all on my own!

Here's the article from MMAFighting.com:
Quote:
After five years, 13 fights and four straight losses, Keith Jardine's time with the UFC is over.

UFC President Dana White confirmed to MMA Fighting that the company has cut ties with the Ultimate Fighter season two alumni after his recent majority decision loss to Matt Hamill at last Saturday's TUF 11 finale.

"It sucks," White said. "I have nothing but respect for him and I hope to see him back soon."

Jardine -- nicknamed "The Dean of Mean -- first gained national attention in 2005 while on TUF, where he was eliminated from the competition by future friend and training partner Rashad Evans. He started his official UFC tenure with wins in four of his first five fights, including a TKO win over future champion Forrest Griffin at UFC 66. That win was expected to rocket him into contender status in the light-heavyweight division, but a shocking upset derailed his forward momentum.

At UFC 71, he'd been scheduled to face David Heath, but after Heath was moved into a different match, Jardine was paired with little-known Houston Alexander. At the time, Jardine was a huge favorite, but Alexander knocked him out in just 48 seconds. That began a see-saw stretch in which he struggled to find the consistency he needed to establish himself as a true championship contender.

After seemingly bouncing back with a split-decision win over Chuck Liddell, Jardine was ranked by some sites among the top ten light-heavyweights in the world, but in his next bout, he was knocked out by Wanderlei Silva. After another split-decision win, this time over Brandon Vera, Jardine hit the skids, dropping four straight, with losses to Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Thiago Silva, Ryan Bader and finally, Hamill.

Prior to his final bout, Jardine was aware his job could be on the line, but he couldn't hold off Hamill in a closely fought match.

The 34-year-old Jardine (15-8-1 overall) finished his UFC run with a 6-7 mark.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 PM

Bummer. I don't doubt that he'll be back eventually. Seems like a real nice guy.

[
Old 06-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Bummer. I don't doubt that he'll be back eventually. Seems like a real nice guy.
he was really cool when I met him back at UFC 68, but he's lost 4 straight & his only 2-6 in his last 8 (those two were Chuck & Vera). he doesn't have a place in the UFC right now.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
he was really cool when I met him back at UFC 68, but he's lost 4 straight & his only 2-6 in his last 8 (those two were Chuck & Vera). he doesn't have a place in the UFC right now.
no question as to why he's released. I always enjoy watching him fight.

[
Old 06-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Never a big fan.. but I didn't want to see him cut...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I agree.. Enough of this "he's a nice guy so let's let him fight business Dana always plays". The guy is not an intriguing fighter, at least not in the UFC, he will never be in title contention, its about time he's let go. I hate it when the UFC insists on embarrassing fighters out.

I hope he doesn't get absorbed by SF either...c'mon, let's let SF be recognized as one of the elite orgs, not just a UFC dumping ground for reject fighters.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

He's a cool guy, always respectful of his opponents, but you gotta win to stay in.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

never really warmed to him in all honnesty
Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 PM

He wasn't one of my favorites but I also enjoyed watching him fight. I guess all I can say is that Dana seems to have been really fair with him as he did lose 4 straight...many other fighters are on the outs after 2 losses.

If he can get it figured out and improve his game he might be back. Too many up-and-comers knocking on the door, though, who may be hungrier.

I'm just throwing this out there but do you all think maybe he let his work ethic slide a bit since he was a TUF winner, counting on that to keep him in contract?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
He wasn't one of my favorites but I also enjoyed watching him fight. I guess all I can say is that Dana seems to have been really fair with him as he did lose 4 straight...many other fighters are on the outs after 2 losses.

If he can get it figured out and improve his game he might be back. Too many up-and-comers knocking on the door, though, who may be hungrier.

I'm just throwing this out there but do you all think maybe he let his work ethic slide a bit since he was a TUF winner, counting on that to keep him in contract?
I dont think he won TUF...otherwise they would have kept him...just like Mac Danzig