Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
If he does get dropped by Carwin, I think all those things will help a lot actually. Because of how well he has established himself, he will always have a fanbase that will make him an attraction. His mainstream success may have come from the WWE, along with his wife, but she is still hot and let's not forget that the the UFC business model also comes from the WWE.
I basically understand that as no matter what, Brock isn't going anywhere unless he wants to because he'll draw money in, just like Chuck.

The sport has become so corrupt it's ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:04 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I basically understand that as no matter what, Brock isn't going anywhere unless he wants to because he'll draw money in, just like Chuck.

The sport has become so corrupt it's ridiculous.
Keeping a guy and giving him fights because he sells tickets doesn't make the sport corrupt. That's just smart business. Fixing fights would make it corrupt.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Keeping a guy and giving him fights because he sells tickets doesn't make the sport corrupt. That's just smart business. Fixing fights would make it corrupt.
Took the words right outta my mouth Mike
Old 06-25-2010, 06:55 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
in the words of Jules...

CORRECT-A-MUNDO!!!

Although I will say that I think it's unfortunate that the sport will always have people who do think that the fights are all fixed. It's not Pro-Wrestling's or Boxing's fault, it's simply the nature of the business and it has been going on forever. Still, when you have a company like the UFC take the WWE business model and repackage it, then toss in one of the WWE's biggest stars in recent years as your HW Champion, and you are sure to have some doubters. Couple that in with the leftover casual Boxing fans who have been turned off in recent history by shady promoters like Bob Arum and Don King and it's no surprise that a lot of people are skeptical of MMA and the UFC.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Although I will say that I think it's unfortunate that the sport will always have people who do think that the fights are all fixed. It's all Pro-Wrestling's or Boxing's fault, it's simply the nature of the business and it has been going on forever.
Fixed.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:02 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Fixed.
It really is sad that so many people feel that way, but if you ask 90% of those people a serious question about pro-wrestling or Boxing they are typically clueless.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:54 AM

I disagree, but I think you took the context of "corrupt" out of there, and used the basic meaning of it.

What I mean is it used to be about the fighters, climbing the ranks, etc. Now it's all about business, and not really about the fighters at all. The sport has become corrupt in that sense. It used to be a sport about fighting, now it's about money....
Old 06-26-2010, 01:21 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I disagree, but I think you took the context of "corrupt" out of there, and used the basic meaning of it.

What I mean is it used to be about the fighters, climbing the ranks, etc. Now it's all about business, and not really about the fighters at all. The sport has become corrupt in that sense. It used to be a sport about fighting, now it's about money....
For the record, I actually wasn't saying that YOU meant corruption was just "fixing fights", but rather agreeing with Mike's comment that fixing the fights would be corrupt.

There is definitely corruption on the business side of fighting, but at what point did that NOT exist? There is corruption in all forms of business, but that is a much different discussion. You are saying it's more corrupt now than it "was". What is "was" before what it IS now is just another sport that nobody cared about with just as much corruption.

Yes, it is about money, and that is why the general definition of top level Boxing and MMA is called "Prizefighting".
Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I guess it's ok to have confidence lol. Fedor? He better tackle shane first lmfao. Sure he "COULD" beat anyone, but will he? No. He won't get past Carwin.
Right on the money.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:39 AM

Although I have my e-tears ready, just in case...