Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I wondered the same thing, those techniques looked pretty gnarly and Anderson yelped several times when Steven demonstrated some of those moves on him!
I wish we could understand what Anderson is saying.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
County Mike

I think Sherrif's get free donuts.

Just saying.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Chris F

He has been a deputy sheriff for a lot longer htne the show. SO that was not what did it. Maybe he needs to call the Jucier guy.

I also am curious to know how much of Aikido is even legal.

Also I am shocked he would teach it for MMA since that goes against everything the Akidio stands for.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM
suntereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
He has been a deputy sheriff for a lot longer htne the show. SO that was not what did it. Maybe he needs to call the Jucier guy.

Also I am shocked he would teach it for MMA since that goes against everything the Akidio stands for.
there are many different schools / styles and philosophies in Aikido.
Seagal is an authority on most of these. I grew up on the big island of hawaii where Hard Aikido was preserved (Aikijujitsu). Seems like this is what he was demonstrating. This style was used by samurai and has a long history of combat / competition.

Legal? - the small joint manipulation and targeting the eyes are not but the rest?

I studied Aikido in the off season to supplement my Judo and wrestling competition. It was a lot of fun and AMAZING for core balance.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I think Sherrif's get free donuts.

Just saying.
Yeah lol his leather jackets seem to get bigger each film he makes.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post

I think he said he was appointed bout 20 years ago, So bout 1990, he started to really put on the weight in 96. Just compare him from the movie Under Siege 2 and him in the Glimmer Man, only bout a year part.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Dawezilla

OK, I train Aikido, and have long said if someone were to employ some of the techniques it would be a very difficult approach for a while.

The wristlock he drops Anderson with is called Kotegeishi. Very effective, but not usefull in UFC I don't believe. Just like Judo really teaches nice close up throws, Aikdio can provide a very interesting base for close up balance control. In one scene Anderson is taught to step inside the punch, move in and then do a variation of what is called Irminagi - a throw that starts with an upward pointing rotating of the head using his shoulder. Up close, that would be hard to stop unless you trained how to counter that.

Say what you want about Segal, being a 7th is quite an accomplishment. Having said that, I don;t think anyone could quickly master some of the techniques as Aikido relies a lot on being flat footed, hip movements, and other things not normal to other styles.

I train with a TKD guy who takes Aikido too, he says it is so incredibly different its like starting over and un-learning a few things.

I am interested to see is any of the arm/shoulder locks are used.

I don;t think Aikido is the 'greatest' like any art, if you master it its great, but in MMA, you aren't facing one style but Aikido techniques could drop a few new tools int he toolbox for sure.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Dawezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I wish we could understand what Anderson is saying.

OUCH!

I've received many of those and that's what I say every time....
Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Are the things Steven is showing Anderson legal to use in mma?
Most of that stuff would be legal. With the exception of some of the small joint manipulations and that infra orbital pressure point technique.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawezilla View Post
OK, I train Aikido, and have long said if someone were to employ some of the techniques it would be a very difficult approach for a while.

The wristlock he drops Anderson with is called Kotegeishi. Very effective, but not usefull in UFC I don't believe. Just like Judo really teaches nice close up throws, Aikdio can provide a very interesting base for close up balance control. In one scene Anderson is taught to step inside the punch, move in and then do a variation of what is called Irminagi - a throw that starts with an upward pointing rotating of the head using his shoulder. Up close, that would be hard to stop unless you trained how to counter that.

Say what you want about Segal, being a 7th is quite an accomplishment. Having said that, I don;t think anyone could quickly master some of the techniques as Aikido relies a lot on being flat footed, hip movements, and other things not normal to other styles.

I train with a TKD guy who takes Aikido too, he says it is so incredibly different its like starting over and un-learning a few things.

I am interested to see is any of the arm/shoulder locks are used.

I don;t think Aikido is the 'greatest' like any art, if you master it its great, but in MMA, you aren't facing one style but Aikido techniques could drop a few new tools int he toolbox for sure.
That's very interesting, thanks for the insider look at the techniques, Dawezilla.