Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 AM
jason2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well, it's not really like Gametap, because Gametap is only through your PC, and honestly when I used Gametap it wasn't all that great. This is set to launch on computers, but they are bringing it to TV sets as well.

What makes this more exciting than Gametap is that OnLive apparently has some pretty big financial backers, such as AT&T and Time Warner. Thus, if it becomes a hit when they bring it to TV sets, they already have a big foothold in the industry by being able to easily access customers through their cable/internet providers. That, and if it truly is as high end as they claim, it really opens a realm of possibilities for how games are delivered to us in the future.

It it supposed to launch tomorrow, and the list of games that is on their website as of right now is...

Assassins Creed 2
Dirt 2
Boderlands
Batman: Arkahm Asylum
Dragon Age: Orgins
Just Cause 2
Mass Effect 2
NBA 2k10
Prince of Persia
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Lego Harry Potter

That's a pretty solid list of new games. If they actually run as good as they claim, this could actually be very exciting.
i had a decent experience with gametap but i spent $15 dollars for 3 months and like strategy games (and it has tons of them), but once they changed from their gametap gameconsoleprogram thingy and changed it to the webbrowser i couldnt stand it

signed up for the free 12 months founders thing

prices are gonna be what makes or breaks this, once its live you need a membership fee to play demos and use the service
then buy 3 day 5 day or unlimited access to each game individually, im interested to say the least but if it cost the same for unlimited access as it does to get a disc or steam version id rather have my own copy

i can see where someone without a xbox360, ps3 or gaming comp would get use out of it if they want mass effect 2 for instance and their current comp wont play it, its a cheaper option then buying a xbox or upgrading your comp
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130 View Post
i had a decent experience with gametap but i spent $15 dollars for 3 months and like strategy games (and it has tons of them), but once they changed from their gametap gameconsoleprogram thingy and changed it to the webbrowser i couldnt stand it

signed up for the free 12 months founders thing

prices are gonna be what makes or breaks this, once its live you need a membership fee to play demos and use the service
then buy 3 day 5 day or unlimited access to each game individually, im interested to say the least but if it cost the same for unlimited access as it does to get a disc or steam version id rather have my own copy

i can see where someone without a xbox360, ps3 or gaming comp would get use out of it if they want mass effect 2 for instance and their current comp wont play it, its a cheaper option then buying a xbox or upgrading your comp
I liked the concept of Gametap, and it was fun for a month or so, but I either already had most of the games, or I could emulate them on the PC with faster programs than theirs.

Whats funny is the only reason I said I HAD to try gametap was because I browsing their list of titles and they had some old PC games from the 80's with one in particular called the "Movie Monster Game". Love that game, classic.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 PM
logrus

I dont think this online gaming idea is going to pan out. Having to totally rely on an outside source is not something gamers are a big fan of. Think of how often they will have to shut down servers for maintenance and repairs. It could be like the MMO's where they are down for a couple hours that turn into 1-3 days.

Connectivity is also going to be a huge problem, I run 6.0Mbps and at times my internet still acts like total crap. It still has problems with what I do now so I dont know how I would handle playing a game online and for it to crap out. An what happens if you cant pay the bill for either a month lol.

I need to find some old emulated games, J.B, LINK ME!!!! lol
Old 06-18-2010, 12:20 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
I dont think this online gaming idea is going to pan out. Having to totally rely on an outside source is not something gamers are a big fan of. Think of how often they will have to shut down servers for maintenance and repairs. It could be like the MMO's where they are down for a couple hours that turn into 1-3 days.

Connectivity is also going to be a huge problem, I run 6.0Mbps and at times my internet still acts like total crap. It still has problems with what I do now so I dont know how I would handle playing a game online and for it to crap out. An what happens if you cant pay the bill for either a month lol.

I need to find some old emulated games, J.B, LINK ME!!!! lol
You are right about those issues and it would tick people off to some degree. However, if they can get it down to a science over the next 10 years, I do think it could possibly be the future of how we a lot more games being delivered.

Here is a good place to get the best emulators for all systems... http://www.emulator-zone.com/

As for the roms, do some torrent searches for some all in one zip files that contain whole romsets, it's easier than trying to do it game by game. I'm actually just about to walk out the door as I am typing this, but when I get back I will shoot you a PM with some links.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:50 AM
logrus

Quote:
You are right about those issues and it would tick people off to some degree. However, if they can get it down to a science over the next 10 years, I do think it could possibly be the future of how we a lot more games being delivered.

Here is a good place to get the best emulators for all systems... http://www.emulator-zone.com/

As for the roms, do some torrent searches for some all in one zip files that contain whole romsets, it's easier than trying to do it game by game. I'm actually just about to walk out the door as I am typing this, but when I get back I will shoot you a PM with some links.
The worst MMO I dealt with in terms of server go boom was in FFXI, The game was down for almost 3 days and prior to that and after it was constantly hit with DDoS attacks which was a nightmare in itself.

Something else people are worried about is similar to the way GoD are or DLC like with the 360. If I buy a game from the Games on Demand list. Once its on my hard drive I cant switch my HDD with a friends to play it, It becomes like and OEM basically. Then of corse with the DLC i have to have the game still and I have to be connected online for it to even work...
Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Here's MMA Payout's review of E3 & & the game:

Quote:
Entering the Los Angeles Convention Center, it was clear to see who the biggest player in the gaming industry was purely based on location and visibility, and that was undoubtedly Electronic Arts.

EA’s spacious exhibit, which was located just a few feet from the main entrance, made it nearly impossible to miss them. Second to EA was probably Microsoft, coming off huge Monday announcements regarding the new re-designed XBOX and their highly anticipated accessory, the Xbox Kinect. Other companies with a presence in E3 were G4 TV, Nintendo, and PlayStation.

As I stepped into the venue, I was greeted by EA’s product marketing manager Randy Chase followed by several members of the EA Sports MMA development team, who have been working hard to polish the game and meet their October 19th release date. First thing I noticed was that the EA Sports MMA exhibit had a good amount of traffic, filled with mostly enthusiastic fans and gamers who were experiencing playing a MMA game for the very first time. The EA Sports MMA trailer above the game stations did a great job at captivating curious gamers. Those who were reluctant were encouraged to try the game by the EA team, and most appeared to have an enjoyable experience.

[IMG]http://counters.gigya.com/wildfire/IMP/CXNID=2000002.0NXC/bT*xJmx*PTEyNzcxMTg2OTM3OTYmcHQ9MTI3NzEyMTc5MDA*OS ZwPTE5ODY4MSZkPTBfMjZ4cjNodDkmZz*yJm89NWRiZGZmNmFj/YzQ1NDQyZDkwNmM4OTgxYTM2YTk*YTkmb2Y9MA==.gif[/IMG]

Game developers like Victor Lugo were more than happy to teach anyone playing the game how to perform different maneuvers and the small nuances of the game. The developers were very observant during this introduction phase, analyzing the player’s reactions and frustrations during their gaming experience. We also had Strikeforce fighters show up throughout the day. Frank Shamrock, Gilbert Melendez, and Mayhem Miller all stopped by and played against developers and willing gamers. Everyone had a pretty good time, and fighters did a great job at signing autographs or taking pictures with fans. It was an enjoyable experience all around.

What I learned from playing the EA Sports MMA Demo: Lenne Hardt announces the winner of the match when you play with the Japanese rule set, which will be a huge plus for the hardcore Japanese MMA fans. When playing with Unified Rules, Jimmy Lennon Jr. announces the winner as a Strikeforce event would. The graphics and the fluidity of the fighter movements, specifically when the fight is taken to the ground, are very nicely done. Compared to the UFC Undisputed control scheme, it is completely different and a bit more like EA’s Fight Night. If you have it in your DNA to mash buttons furiously, you will quickly gas out and most likely be stopped either by strikes or a submission, so there is a bit of a learning curve when transitioning from Undisputed to EA Sports MMA.

You can’t fault EA here though, they did a wonderful job selling the game to anyone willing to try it. As a result of having a successful E3 event, EA Sports MMA was nominated for “Best of E3″ by IGN, 1UP, and Kokatu, who are 3 of the most respected video game content providers in the industry. In total, EA Sports MMA was nominated for 8 “Best of E3″ awards when E3 wrapped up on Thursday.

Most interesting to me was the fact that just under the monitor screens of the game stations, EA placed Strikeforce Live promo material encouraging curious gamers to witness MMA live after the E3 event, persuading them with a percentage discount credit towards a ticket purchase for the event. To also promote the event, EA bought groups of tickets and gave them to fighters like Jason “Mayhem” Miller and “King” Mo Lawal to give away to fans. There was definitely some strong synergy between Strikeforce and EA during the E3 event, and later on during the Strikeforce Live event.

Something else that caught my attention was the new sponsor Strikeforce picked up for this event, which was GoDaddy.com. If you can recall, the last time GoDaddy was involved in MMA was when they were a huge sponsor for the now infamous Affliction third show that never took place. I was curious when they were going to jump back into MMA, and I got my answer as soon as I spotted their logo on the Strikeforce promo.

As it was time to close up E3 for the day, “Mayhem” and “El Nino” brawled one last time before they flipped the power switch.

Here is the cover of EA Sports MMA video game (courtesy of MiddleEasy), which was announced on EA’s Monday Presser:

Payout Perspective:
What was noticeable at E3 to me was how close EA and Strikeforce worked together to pull off this combination event. Having fighters stop by and meet the fans plus properly placing promotional material were great ways to get E3 attendees to experience live MMA via Strikeforce, and apparently, it worked. Where I was sitting, I overheard ticket purchasers mention that this was the first time they attended an MMA event and really didn’t know any of the fighters on the card. From observing the people around me, I can definitely say that there were a lot of new eyeballs there at the Nokia Theater that night to witness MMA in person. According to MMAJunkie, the event drew 5,259 attendees with a gate of 418K, which will have to be considered a success for a Wednesday Strikeforce show in Los Angeles sandwiched between NBA Final games. For comparison, the Strikeforce Miami show only drew 7K attendees for a 301K gate, though it did great rating numbers on Showtime.

Some may have criticized Strikeforce for only having a 6 fight card with only 2 prelims, but lets not forget that this event was unofficially held in conjunction to E3 (walking distance from LA Convention Center), which is why it was specifically planned with EA in this manner. If Strikeforce added any more prelims, the start time would have been bumped to 5 PM PST, which would have then overlapped with the Expo, since E3 was scheduled to be open from 10AM to 6 PM PST on that night. Strikeforce and EA then gave E3 attendees an hour to make their way to the Nokia Theater area and purchase tickets for the event, which started at 7 PM PST. They couldn’t fit any more prelims due to the Showtime broadcast start time of 8 PM PST/11 PM EST, which some East Coasters were already complaining was a tad bit too late for their taste. The safe bet here was to only schedule 2 prelim fights, which ended up giving the attendees 20 minutes to kill before the Showtime broadcast started, though I am glad to report that the prelims were good and exciting fights.

The bet with EA Sports MMA from Strikeforce’s point of view is that it will give a big boost to their brand and hopefully allow their fighters to become stars and household names in the near future, much like UFC Undisputed 2009 was able to do for the UFC. EA has already heard the praises for the game, and all that is left now is to see how well the game will sell, hoping that adding UFC’s Randy Couture and MMA great Fedor on the front cover will attract some extra mainstream eyeballs. Though Undisputed 2009 had a record-breaking debut, its follow-up release, UFC Undisputed 2010, is having slower than anticipated sales at the moment, which may be an indicator that MMA fans may not be looking to buy a new MMA game after Undisputed 2009 satisfied their urge for a quality MMA title. EA does offer a great deal of features and game-play that Undisputed does not, but will EA’s name be able to sell enough copies to satisfy the game’s expectations, grow the Strikeforce brand, and allow their fighters to become more of a household name? The good news is that from what I witnessed on Wednesday, the game release will generate a good amount of buzz. EA has a great marketing and advertising campaign going, not to mention a nice budget for games it gets firmly behind. From everything that I saw on Wednesday, they are clearly behind MMA, EA Sports MMA, and Strikeforce.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

"What EA Sports MMA Needs to Succeed "

Quote:
For the longest time, fans of MMA were left without a video game to call their own. With the release of UFC 2009: Undisputed, MMA video games have made a triumphant return. Fans of MMA and video games have it especially good in 2010, as publishing juggernaut Electronic Arts is set to launch “EA Sports MMA” in 2010, featuring a roster that includes Fedor Emelianenko, Randy Couture, and countless others from both Strikeforce and the Japanese-based DREAM promotion. But can it topple UFC Undisputed 2010 and become the marquee franchise in the MMA video game market?

I found myself having an intense love/hate relationship with UFC 2010: when the game works, it’s a wonderful recreation of an actual MMA fight. When it doesn’t work, the game is an infuriating, controller-breaking mess. If done correctly, EA Sports MMA has a good chance of toppling THQ from the MMA video game throne. Looking forward, here are a few key factors I think will influence EA Sports MMA’s chances of success.

The first and all-important factor is the gameplay. The game needs to be equal parts fun and challenging: “easy to learn, difficult to master” comes to mind. There have been a few details revealed about how the game plays, but I’ll reserve judgment until I have the disc in my Xbox and a controller in my hands. But I’ll say this: EA MMA should try its absolute hardest to do away with the cheap gameplay mechanics that makes UFC 2010 such a chore to play.
If a fighter does nothing but spam takedowns, that fighter should have his stamina depleted if those takedowns are consistently blocked. I’ve lost count of how many times I would block a large number of takedowns from a takedown spammer in UFC 2010, only to get caught with one last takedown as I was trying to counter and end up getting KO’d or put into a submission. Speaking of counters, reversals should be incredibly difficult to pull off, and should only be available to high-level grapplers. In UFC 2010, the reversal system is so broken that nine times out of ten my online opponent will do nothing but sit in my guard and wait for me to try and break free, so he can reverse me. It makes for a boring, incredibly frustrating fight, and if EA MMA does away with it, they can count me in as a paying customer.

Speaking of online, a fluid and diverse online mode would be a fantastic way that EA MMA could pull ahead of the Undisputed franchise. Upon its release, the online in UFC 2010 was downright broken. Even with a number of patches since its release, I’ve still encountered game-breaking amounts of lag in several online fights. Not only that, but the Undisputed online mode is relatively weak. Fight camps were a good idea, but vastly under-utilized. If EA MMA can provide a robust and completely lag-free online mode, I think they could easily pull ahead of UFC 2010.

I think a good story/career mode would be the final piece of the puzzle that would make EA MMA better than UFC 2010. I want to actually care about my Create-a-Fighter, I need much more back-story than just an up-and-coming rookie trying to make his way to the top. Give me the ability to fully interact with my trainers and partners, give me fully interactive cutscenes, interviews, and weigh-ins, give me an honest-to-goodness story mode with branching paths. I need more of a reason to give a crap about my fighter other than the fact that it’s cool to see something I created go toe-to-toe with an actual MMA star. If EA MMA can deliver a career mode that’s truly worth playing, it will set a precedent that the Undisputed franchise would have a hard time trying to top.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM
logrus

Ill wait for JB to finish his fight with Shaq and then put down his controller and give us his thoughts on 2010...
Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
Ill wait for JB to finish his fight with Shaq and then put down his controller and give us his thoughts on 2010...
I think UFC 2010 is a frustrating piece of crap filled with careless oversight on numerous levels.

With that being said, I still love the game to large degree. It's flashy and it delivers the UFC product well, so it's got that much going for it. It would be easy for me to write you a laundry list of complaints about it, but I will just say that I think it's a solid game in many ways and a flawed game in many ways as well. Personally, I believe EA will deliver a better product with their game because they are the gold standard in sports video games.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
I think UFC 2010 is a frustrating piece of crap filled with careless oversight on numerous levels.

With that being said, I still love the game to large degree. It's flashy and it delivers the UFC product well, so it's got that much going for it. It would be easy for me to write you a laundry list of complaints about it, but I will just say that I think it's a solid game in many ways and a flawed game in many ways as well. Personally, I believe EA will deliver a better product with their game because they are the gold standard in sports video games.
Here's hoping. I'm excited for when it comes out.