Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

DaMarques was kind enough to tweet these pics of Robbie warming up at the arena.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 PM
philips4

Strikeforce did put on a good show, I was lucky enough to be up in LA working and was able to visit a bit w/ Robbie Lawler, Matt Hughes, Matt Pena, Hoagie and Damarques Johnson. They are a really nice group of guys! As usual, God always shows up in my life and makes for some extraordinary events! I was coming down the elevator and a creepy guy in there was being pretty annoying to me. He followed me to the cafe and continued but I eventually got rid of him politely. An older guy came up to me commending me on the tact I used w/ him and offered me to sit near him in the cafe as the creepy guy was still lurking nearby. The man and I visited for a long time and turns out he was the executive Producer/Director for Strikeforce and was just sitting there waiting for Scott Coker! Long story short, he offered me two tickets for the floor OR OR OR.......to sit with him in the penalty box, wearing headphones and listening on as he ran the entire show live for Showtime! Helloooo....of course I wanted to do that! WOW. Had to pinch myself to see if this was really happening! Offering me tickets for Robbies fight was amazing right there!

I drive back to LA the next day for the fights and meet Jim Gordan at the loading dock. He comes out to meet me w/ my "crew badge" and we walk in. He says I can go anywhere with my badge, including all the locker rooms, waiting areas, anywhere!! He walks me around and introduces me to more people than I can ever remember, most of the fighters, etc...then it was dinner time! We go into a room for craft services and the line is maybe 15 deep, he walks by the entire line with everyone giving him a "hello boss" and we cut to the front! Awkward!! I had already eaten again but couldn't pass up the lasagna, chicken, pasta, fish and all the salads and cookies....yum! He then has to pick the most crowded table and I spend the next 30 minutes eating dinner with Pat Militich, Mauro Ranallo, Stephan Quadros (all the annoucers) and the refs like Herb Dean, etc. It was an amazing dinner! Mostly talked to Pat Militich and Mauro Ranallo! They were very friendly.

After a few more visits w/ all the people I will never remember their names we head to our spot! We have every screen and button in front of us and now the tension starts for the live event! I put my headphones on and get to hear 13 people talking in one ear coordinating to Jim, and 6 voices in the other that Jim is telling the stuff from ear one, to the people in ear 2. I get a headache right about now, I wonder if this is how schizophrenics must feel! I zone out while the pre live event screaming begins as nothing seems to be just right and watch all the cameras in the locker rooms. We have about 15 different camera views and certainly people had no idea we were watching. VERY fun! We watch the fights with literally 15 views of everything going on everywhere, every angle w/ my 13 people in one ear and 6 in the other chatting the entire time. Great fights and I think pretty good decisions. Interesting you can listen to EVERYONES commets as the watch the fights.

After the fights we hang out w/ the press and Babalu and the other fighters. It was a very good time. I would go on but I'm tired, I was out until 3 and had an early morning w/ my daughters graduation! I will post a couple pics of my night if I can remember how. I know Michelle is just skimming this but if she hits this line, I'm sorry no Matt pictures, I was a little overwhelmed w/ everything and everybody else....I promise do better next time. Oh, I should have taken a picture of my monitor, the camera spied on him and of course I was watching!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philips4 View Post
Strikeforce did put on a good show, I was lucky enough to be up in LA working and was able to visit a bit w/ Robbie Lawler, Matt Hughes, Matt Pena, Hoagie and Damarques Johnson. They are a really nice group of guys! As usual, God always shows up in my life and makes for some extraordinary events! I was coming down the elevator and a creepy guy in there was being pretty annoying to me. He followed me to the cafe and continued but I eventually got rid of him politely. An older guy came up to me commending me on the tact I used w/ him and offered me to sit near him in the cafe as the creepy guy was still lurking nearby. The man and I visited for a long time and turns out he was the executive Producer/Director for Strikeforce and was just sitting there waiting for Scott Coker! Long story short, he offered me two tickets for the floor OR OR OR.......to sit with him in the penalty box, wearing headphones and listening on as he ran the entire show live for Showtime! Helloooo....of course I wanted to do that! WOW. Had to pinch myself to see if this was really happening! Offering me tickets for Robbies fight was amazing right there!

I drive back to LA the next day for the fights and meet Jim Gordan at the loading dock. He comes out to meet me w/ my "crew badge" and we walk in. He says I can go anywhere with my badge, including all the locker rooms, waiting areas, anywhere!! He walks me around and introduces me to more people than I can ever remember, most of the fighters, etc...then it was dinner time! We go into a room for craft services and the line is maybe 15 deep, he walks by the entire line with everyone giving him a "hello boss" and we cut to the front! Awkward!! I had already eaten again but couldn't pass up the lasagna, chicken, pasta, fish and all the salads and cookies....yum! He then has to pick the most crowded table and I spend the next 30 minutes eating dinner with Pat Militich, Mauro Ranallo, Stephan Quadros (all the annoucers) and the refs like Herb Dean, etc. It was an amazing dinner! Mostly talked to Pat Militich and Mauro Ranallo! They were very friendly.

After a few more visits w/ all the people I will never remember their names we head to our spot! We have every screen and button in front of us and now the tension starts for the live event! I put my headphones on and get to hear 13 people talking in one ear coordinating to Jim, and 6 voices in the other that Jim is telling the stuff from ear one, to the people in ear 2. I get a headache right about now, I wonder if this is how schizophrenics must feel! I zone out while the pre live event screaming begins as nothing seems to be just right and watch all the cameras in the locker rooms. We have about 15 different camera views and certainly people had no idea we were watching. VERY fun! We watch the fights with literally 15 views of everything going on everywhere, every angle w/ my 13 people in one ear and 6 in the other chatting the entire time. Great fights and I think pretty good decisions. Interesting you can listen to EVERYONES commets as the watch the fights.

After the fights we hang out w/ the press and Babalu and the other fighters. It was a very good time. I would go on but I'm tired, I was out until 3 and had an early morning w/ my daughters graduation! I will post a couple pics of my night if I can remember how. I know Michelle is just skimming this but if she hits this line, I'm sorry no Matt pictures, I was a little overwhelmed w/ everything and everybody else....I promise do better next time. Oh, I should have taken a picture of my monitor, the camera spied on him and of course I was watching!

Girl, we're going to have to change your screen/user name to "Midas"!

And just think, you have that creepy stalker guy to thank.

Great pics and great story!

Last edited by Bonnie; 06-18-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post

DaMarques was kind enough to tweet these pics of Robbie warming up at the arena.
Ben.....oh, never mind....

Old 06-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Stump Rules!

Yikes, I'm getting a reputation aren't I? I'm going to have to hide from Matt when he's here in August

Great story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philips4 View Post
I know Michelle is just skimming this but if she hits this line, I'm sorry no Matt pictures, I was a little overwhelmed w/ everything and everybody else....I promise do better next time. Oh, I should have taken a picture of my monitor, the camera spied on him and of course I was watching!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 06-18-2010, 02:39 AM

It's really too bad that nothing exciting ever happens to you Phillips

Awesome story!

[
Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 PM
philips4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Girl, we're going to have to change your screen/user name to "Midas"!

And just think, you have that creepy stalker guy to thank.

Great pics and great story!
We were actually laughing that it is all owed to creepy guy!! Because of him I was even invited back to the Fedor fight the end of June! Wish I didn't already have plans! Nice to know that you never know what can happen from what seems like a bad situation huh?

"Midas", I think I like that! Perhaps if I buy a lottery ticket....ha ha ha