Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I don't know if you saw it, JB, when Rich came in on TUF to replace Tito, but him and his team were trying to teach their fighter how to use his skills and energy more "efficiently". Chuck seems to use an awful lot of energy with that wide roundhouse punch he uses and it leaves him wide open to be knocked out. IMHO In Michelle's gif, you can see him coming in, both of them are really swinging, Chuck swings his right arm, it misses or Rich deflects it, but Chuck's momentum is carrying him right into Rich's swinging fist. Chuck has no way at that point to defend himself from that KO blow. To me it was almost a replay of what happened when he fought Rua. If I remember correctly, he just came right in and Rua said "nighty nighty". Same thing when he fought Rashad Evans--big ol' hole. In that one, Rashad was more efficient with his strike and beat Chuck to the punch (literally).

Hopefully, Chuck will go on to do some good things whether it involves this sport or not. I wish him the best.
I haven't watched TUF since Matt was on it last, but yeah it's no secret that swinging for the fences leaves you wide open for a counter punch.

Chuck always had the philosophy of "I'm not trying to knock you out, I just know I will"....

Basically, that means if I throw enough power shots, by law of averages some of them are bound to connect and one of them is probably gonna put you to sleep. It's a part of the age old battle of styles that we have seen for ages in Boxing. The "power puncher" against the "Boxer" or the "technician" if you will.

When Chuck lost to Rampage, Rashad, and Rich, he lost after getting caught while making a minor mistake on the feet to guys who were baiting him in and waiting for that big right hand. When Chuck lost to Shogun, he did try to press the action, in typical Chuck Liddell style, but the big counters weren't coming back at him as much and it wasn't much of a counter punch that ended Chuck's night. It was Shogun who lunged forward with a looping left while still somewhat in the center of the cage that put the Iceman down. Also, you mentioned Chuck beating Rashad to the punch, and I remember that but, without looking it up, I think Rashad was literally milliseconds from landing that follow up hook but Chuck fell like a sack of potatoes and he barely missed. In retrospect, I'm glad Evans missed that shot.

Last edited by J.B.; 06-16-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
you can see him coming in, both of them are really swinging, Chuck swings his right arm, it misses or Rich deflects it, but Chuck's momentum is carrying him right into Rich's swinging fist. Chuck has no way at that point to defend himself from that KO blow.
I think you are correct Bonnie