Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 PM
atomdanger

Default Serious GSP / Wrestling question

Quote:
http://mmajunkie.com/news/19509/chae...n-olympics.mma

"He wouldn't break into the top six and not because he's not a good enough athlete. But (in the U.S.) these are young kids that have been doing it since they were 8, 9 years old.

"There's a lot of positions; there's a lot of scoring techniques in wrestling. I don't even know if you'd be able to teach him all the rules in time, let alone the positions."

Meanwhile, Sonnen (24-10-1 MMA, 4-3 UFC) said his wrestling credentials are more than sufficient to take out Silva (26-4 MMA, 11-0 UFC), whom he faces on Aug. 7 at UFC 107.

"I've got two national championship plaques on my wall that [say] I can take him down," Sonnen said. "I've got a silver medal from the world championships in 2001 that says he can't stop me from taking him down. If he's got an answer to it, God bless him."
Serious question, no GSP bashing from me (for once),
do you guys honestly think GSP could make the Olympics?
even place if he did?

I thought Sonnen made some interesting points
Old 06-12-2010, 09:34 PM

if he commited his life to it for a few years sure? He is a special kind of athlete. Look at whats hes done in mma. He has no wrestling background but is the best wrestler in the sport because of his hard work and natural ability.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Sonnen is right.

GSP is a great athlete, but I don't see him being able to just jump into the mix with Olympic wrestlers and have much success. It's a different game, with a different mindset than MMA and the guys at that level would likely smoke him.

It reminds me of guys who are successful in MMA thinking that they are good enough Boxers to compete for a world title.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Sonnen is right.

GSP is a great athlete, but I don't see him being able to just jump into the mix with Olympic wrestlers and have much success. It's a different game, with a different mindset than MMA and the guys at that level would likely smoke him.

It reminds me of guys who are successful in MMA thinking that they are good enough Boxers to compete for a world title.
not really the same... GSP dominates ncaa champions at wrestling in mma... It be the equivalent of like arthur abraham coming into mma and GSP out boxes him and knocks him out... Of course people would say he could compete with the best boxers in the world if that happened.. you see what im saying?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
not really the same... GSP dominates ncaa champions at wrestling in mma... It be the equivalent of like arthur abraham coming into mma and GSP out boxes him and knocks him out... Of course people would say he could compete with the best boxers in the world if that happened.. you see what im saying?
I know what you are saying, but wrestling in MMA and wrestling in college/Olympics is as different as night and day. It's a different mindset, and a different strategy. Would GSP do better than a lot of guys? I imagine he would, but I'm not going to go out on a limb and say I think he would be an Olympic class wrestler. He is a great athlete though, not denying that at all.

The stand-up game in MMA and the sport of Boxing are also two completely different beasts. One of the reasons MMA is as "exciting" as it is to casual fans is because of the fact that anything can happen with 4 oz gloves. So, yeah, GSP could KO Abraham, but it's not as likely to happen as GSP getting outboxed and worked around the ring if he tried to come into the sport of Boxing on it's highest levels.

With Boxing to MMA, it always favors the Boxer from the respect that the Boxer is versed and trained at punching and taking punches, something which is essential in MMA. Sure, the Boxer will likely get taken down and beaten up or submitted, but he still has that strong-point that can carry him in MMA (maybe not far, but nonetheless). With an MMA fighter coming into Boxing, all of their other training is useless, and the MMA fighter will be as out of his element as the Boxer would be in an MMA match.

Last edited by J.B.; 06-13-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
if he commited his life to it for a few years sure? He is a special kind of athlete. Look at whats hes done in mma. He has no wrestling background but is the best wrestler in the sport because of his hard work and natural ability.
Agreed. Like him or not you can't deny that he IS a special athlete... I think if he set his mind to it he would stand a great chance of making the Canadian team.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Well, Canada only has 4 medals (2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze) in wrestling in the last 3 Olympic games, guess it can't hurt to give him a shot!

I mean, this guy had no singing talent and still sold 240,000 albums:
Old 06-14-2010, 04:02 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Well, Canada only has 4 medals (2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze) in wrestling in the last 3 Olympic games, guess it can't hurt to give him a shot!

William Hung had no professional training...

Pants on the ground guy was the best.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:08 AM
pistol-pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post

Those four medals are not that bad for Canada. There is more to wrestling than double leg takedowns. GSP knows this, but he does or did work out extensively with the Canadana national team.

Again I think Sonnen is talking out of ass to make his creditials look all that more impressive.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 PM
rearnakedchoke

i agree with sonnen .. being a gsp fan and canadian, i think gsp is better off dedicating his time to mma ... i think if he were to do olympic wrestling full time, he would be okay but wouldn't be able to beat the world elite ...

sonnen for once isn't trolling in this ... and i think gsp was taken out of context when he said he was going to try out for the olympics anyway ...