Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Question Ever given serious thought to...

what you might do in a real state of Emergency?

Supposing your Government dissapeared overnight, supposing your public amenities vanished the next day...No fresh drinking water, no waste disposal, riots and looting happening all around you, no police, and before any Military Presence could be mustered

Supposing also, no Phones, No mobile Phones, No internet, No public Transport, no Trains, or planes, and all the roads being blocked by trashed cars...not to mention if you had a car, no knowledge of where you'd be able to refuel.

How would you survive? Where would you go? What would you do?

What about finding other family Members?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Well after Hurricane Ike I sorta feel like I can truly answer this. I'd do ok for the first 24-48 hours. After that it gets really hard. It's when you learn who you can rely on to really be there for you. People have to band together and form small groups to deal with the resource shortage and to assist with their special skills and such. You really see the best and worst of people.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 AM
atomdanger

It sounds odd, but in a doomsday scenario I would eat people before I died.

I was a boy scout, and raised camping and spending a LOT of time in the wilderness, I would most likely head into the forrest where it would be less dangerous. I have some camping gear, mini me and I would be safe, or at least safer.

My truck (bronco) has a big fuel cell and a huge grill guard thats bolted to the frame,
I could push things out of my way and get somewhere safe.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Well, Dave, you and I have already discussed how ideal my apartment would be in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

I remember reading about when the USSR collapsed. People woke up one day and their nation's capital, Moscow, was suddenly in a foreign country. If something like that happened here, I don't think we'd be seeing riots in the streets of Hillsboro (however I wouldn't go near East St. Louis unless my life depended on it). I think people in small rural areas would band together pretty quick. Essentially, you'd end up with thousands of "mini-countries" dotting the countryside living under a localized form of martial law.

The cities would fall into chaos pretty quick. Think about it: no police, no fire department, no hospitals, no electricity, no running water, no phone or television service... nothing. People might band together initially, but eventually hunger will set in (because we're talking about city folk who don't know how to grow their own food). And when people realize that the government that they trusted to help them no longer exists, then the city's population will begin feeding upon itself. It will turn into a "might makes right" nightmare.

Just think of the LA race riots from 1992, then multiply that times the Hurricane Katrina disaster and you'd have that in every single city in the country with no hope of law enforcement or even a military putting a stop to any of it.

Of course, much of that would bleed off into surrounding towns, but I believe that most rural towns would seal themselves off from the outside world. Trespassers would be shot on sight. Eventually, localized militias would begin to form to restore order. They would be made up of just regular citizens with firearms who want to keep their families safe. Maybe led by former military and police, but not necessarily.

The most tragic part will be when the economic system collapses and the banks shut down. People's bank account balances will vanish into thin air and the credit cards and cash that they have in their pockets will become worthless. You IRA, retirement plans, health insurance would all disappear and people would be forced to barter for food and clean water.

After just a few days, stores, gas stations, and restaurants would be looted clean and whatever food was left behind would be rotted. People would start to eat their pets and their pets' food. The next source of food would be the garbage, people would be forced to rummage through dumpsters and city landfills for any food they might be able to find. Ranchers would be on almost 24 hour alert in order to prevent people from entering their land and killing their livestock for food. Also you can't rule out cannibalism, especially in the overcrowded cities.

I can't imagine what our borders would turn into, because if we go down, Mexico and Canada are going with us.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Gee Nate. I had all these nice warm fuzzies from this weekend and you went and poured cold water all over me.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
Gee Nate. I had all these nice warm fuzzies from this weekend and you went and poured cold water all over me.

~Amy
Hey, these things always take the majority of the population by surprise:

I Thessalonians 5: 2-3:
Quote:
For you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.
Only those who are paying attention to the signs will be prepared.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Hey, these things always take the majority of the population by surprise:

I Thessalonians 5: 2-3:

Only those who are paying attention to the signs will be prepared.

I'm a nurse, someone will want me in their community for my skills.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

I am actually one of those nuts that has bottled water, and canned goods stocked.

I have ammunition.. and my wifes family has a well.. a huge garden.. and we both have gun cleaning kits...

we would be good for a little while.. between both of our families, we would be good for at least 2 3 months.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:42 AM
County Mike

I would go all "Red Dawn" and live in the wilderness with some friends.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
I would go all "Red Dawn" and live in the wilderness with some friends.
Save room for me...

"Wolverines!!!!!!"

really a pretty good movie.