Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Okay, now Dave has brought world history to the thread...

We need to put this locomotive back on the tracks....

Damn, I don't know anything about Soccer...
Neither do I...its so boring. At least rugby is aggressive. I dont understand why they dont just give them two balls, then they wouldnt have to fight over one would they
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
They married into the occupied Saxon culture which existed under the Romans...hence the term Anglo-Saxon.

Angeln became Angle-Land became Eng-land (its probably due to the pronunciation of the letter A in celtic/saxon type language...bet its pronounced more AE, and later, E.)

Although I think of myself as an Angle (I'm from an area of the country that still holds the name East Anglia though not really as an official title as East Midlands...its the same area) There is only ONE generation between myself, and Scotland...a place where my Patriarchy was far from nothing. I am Scot Nobility, or very close to it. I carry the name, and Only My Father stands between myself, and the last of our Clan actually born in Scotland itself....Course the rest of me is Angle ...and I think it is more Angle then Saxon...because I think its the Saxon surnames that generally seem to depict what the family did or a trade or something...and none of the other Three contributing Trees directly leading to me, hold any clue they are all rather odd...so I think Angle rather then Saxon. its unusual to find anything Viking or Norman, and if you do, spelling gives it away (Now people dont say Norman anyway, they say French )

First name has Jewish or Roman roots depending on how you choose to spell it and which way you look at it. Middle name is a total misnomer, could have come from anywhere or anything
The Anglo-Saxons didn't exist under the Romans, the Anglo-Saxon arrival coincided with the Romans leaving. Then we pushed the snivelling Celts into Wales and Scotland and made this green and pleasant land our own until the Frogs came and ruined it in 1066, lol. And you're right about Anglo-Saxon surnames, but a lot of place names can also be traced back to the Vikings, such as Dublin.

And since this thread is about football, England should beat USA pretty easily, but there's no way England will win the World Cup. I reckon Italy, though you can never count out the Krauts either.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
The Anglo-Saxons didn't exist under the Romans, the Anglo-Saxon arrival coincided with the Romans leaving. Then we pushed the snivelling Celts into Wales and Scotland and made this green and pleasant land our own until the Frogs came and ruined it in 1066, lol. And you're right about Anglo-Saxon surnames, but a lot of place names can also be traced back to the Vikings, such as Dublin.

And since this thread is about football, England should beat USA pretty easily, but there's no way England will win the World Cup. I reckon Italy, though you can never count out the Krauts either.
I thought that Saxons were there along with the celts during the brief rule of Rome

...and as for the place names...Yeah, I live a stones throw from Yorvik....But I prefer to call it Eboracum (its the Roman Name...wasnt in use for very long LOL...and yet long enough for the Church of England to have shortened it to Ebor LMAO))

Last edited by Tyburn; 06-08-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:47 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Neither do I...its so boring. At least rugby is aggressive. I dont understand why they dont just give them two balls, then they wouldnt have to fight over one would they
It's all in the eye of the beholder my friend. I love Baseball, and lots of people find that to be boring.

I don't think a sport needs to be a contact sport to be exciting, but it certainly helps with the mainstream.

I actually loved playing Soccer when I was in junior high and high-school, but I never got into following it on a professional level.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
It's all in the eye of the beholder my friend. I love Baseball, and lots of people find that to be boring.

I don't think a sport needs to be a contact sport to be exciting, but it certainly helps with the mainstream.

I actually loved playing Soccer when I was in junior high and high-school, but I never got into following it on a professional level.
I didnt play sport when I was little...Coz I couldnt catch a ball

I would find Archery interesting to watch...I suppose thats non-contact...or supposed to be Tried that once at Lincoln Castle
Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I didnt play sport when I was little...Coz I couldnt catch a ball

I would find Archery interesting to watch...I suppose thats non-contact...or supposed to be Tried that once at Lincoln Castle
Well, in Soccer you kick the ball, unless your the Goaltender!

I learned how to catch a ball when I was real young. You learn real quick after the first few hit you in the face.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:

I don't think a sport needs to be a contact sport to be exciting,
Oh, no, not AS again....

Quote:
but it certainly helps with the mainstream.
You mean all those panty wadders.

Back to England........GOoooooooal USA!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Oh, no, not AS again....

Now, by no contact with Anderson Silva, did you mean when people were trying to hit him?

http://i30.tinypic.com/jry8o1.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/10pyk3d.jpg

Because that's certainly not the case when he is trying to hit other people

http://i8.tinypic.com/80nhjqr.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/64nnuc.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/2hwenwz.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/24uvx9w.jpg

this last one is my fave
http://i27.tinypic.com/2e6h4ww.jpg

Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

This thread is epic BTW. Total derailment.

Sorry Jon, Americans are bad like this when it comes to Soccer...