Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Ben Rothwell Interview Discussing Departure from MFS

Strange that when the level of training partners is too low for him, it's suddenly totally cool to "bail on all the hard work Pat's put into" him.

Quote:

Ben Rothwell acknowledges that UFC 115 opponent Gilbert Yvel seems to have cleaned up his act since he began fighting in the U.S., but that’s not what comes to mind first when he hears Yvel’s name.

“I see tattoos. I see eye gouging. I see kicks to the nuts. I see a referee getting knocked out,” Rothwell said Monday on the Sherdog Radio Network’s Savage Dog Show.

The 6-foot-4, 265-pound heavyweight kept struggling to find a single descriptor for Yvel, whose bad boy reputation is well-documented and well-earned. He has been disqualified three times for infractions including slugging a referee, biting and eye gouging. The last incident was in November 2004, but Yvel likely won’t shed the negative label anytime soon.

“He seems to have really cleaned up his act since coming to the States,” Rothwell said. “I think he knows. He’s made a living from the sport. Overseas I think he was a little bit different. If he was in Japan, they kind of get off on that kind of thing. If he’s in Holland, it’s kind of like it was a big free for all. He came to the States, and there’s a commission. This is a sport: They don’t put up with that.”

Both Yvel and Rothwell are coming off losses in their UFC debuts to fast-rising heavyweights. Junior dos Santos stopped Yvel in the first round of their Jan. 2 matchup at UFC 108. Cain Velasquez derailed Rothwell in the second round of their October 2009 fight at UFC 104.

Both men also like to fight on the feet, a fact that could make their main card contest an intriguing encounter Saturday at the GM Place in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Although Yvel is a dangerous striker, Rothwell said he has prepared for him by training with top-notch kickboxers like Patrick Barry at the Duke Roufus Academy in Milwaukee. As an example, Rothwell cited how Roufus’ camp had prepped him last year when he had been scheduled to fight Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic.

“I had like three, four Cro Cops when I was getting ready for him. It was pretty funny -- all throwing left kicks at me,” Rothwell said. “I must have blocked well over a thousand left head kicks.”

Rothwell has been training with Roufus since 2003, though his base camp had long been Pat Miletich’s school in Davenport, Iowa. He did not train in Iowa for his upcoming bout.

“I did have to leave Iowa. … I lost training partners,” he said. “It was out of Pat’s control.”

Rothwell made a point to express his respect for Miletich, but he also said the Iowa-based team is not what it used to be.

“Something that’s built up to be an empire, it’s like Rome -- it can’t be that way forever,” he said. “At one time, yeah, it was looked at as one of the greatest gyms of all time. It had (Matt) Hughes, and Jens (Pulver) was knocking people out. Tim (Sylvia) had the (UFC heavyweight) belt. Jeremy Horn was there. And then we were kind of like the second phase with the whole IFL. That was kind of the beginning of the end, I think. We had our little spurt, but it wasn’t UFC level and then it just kind of diminished. Things happen. I don’t think there’s blame (on) anybody. It just happened that way.”

Rothwell said it wouldn’t have mattered if the Miletich team was as strong as ever: He had to leave for personal reasons. His daughter recently turned 8, and traveling between Wisconsin and Iowa just wasn’t working anymore.

“I drove back and forth every weekend to be with her, but that just wasn’t enough,” he said. “I have to be here more for her.”

At the same time, Rothwell has to keep training and improving. For this bout he also enlisted the help of Matt Hume, who’s known for having groomed Josh Barnett among many others.

“The guy is, when you talk to him, he is like a wizard,” Rothwell said. “I don’t know how to explain it. He is a very smart guy. He’s all about martial arts, and I really liked him a lot.”

Hume will be in Rothwell’s corner against Yvel, an opponent Rothwell eventually figured out how to describe after a review of Yvel’s fouls.

“Crazy,” Rothwell finally concluded. “I’ll give him that: He’s crazy.”
Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

MFS was a Spurt not of UFC level huh

No...Rothwell was just an MFS Spurt, and probably still isnt UFC Level. Goodness knows how Duke Roufus (who is actually a nice person) puts up with him. ...and I feel sorry for Matt Hume also if Rothwell has thrust himself up that way whose next? Jeff Curran or something...

Perhaps Patrick Barry will be able to teach Rothwell some manners.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:53 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
MFS was a Spurt not of UFC level huh

No...Rothwell was just an MFS Spurt, and probably still isnt UFC Level. Goodness knows how Duke Roufus (who is actually a nice person) puts up with him. ...and I feel sorry for Matt Hume also if Rothwell has thrust himself up that way
No, I think he meant that the IFL-era MFS was a last-spurt of talent not of UFC level. Clearly the early MFS (Hughes, Horn, Pulver, Sylvia, Lawler, Menne, Freeman, Miletich, etc.) was the cream of MMA crop, but then other teams rose up on par. Then MFS had a 2nd growth spurt in conjunction with its IFL team, but that second growth spurt was not of UFC caliber. I think that's what Rothwell was talking about.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
No, I think he meant that the IFL-era MFS was a last-spurt of talent not of UFC level. Clearly the early MFS (Hughes, Horn, Pulver, Sylvia, Lawler, Menne, Freeman, Miletich, etc.) was the cream of MMA crop, but then other teams rose up on par. Then MFS had a 2nd growth spurt in conjunction with its IFL team, but that second growth spurt was not of UFC caliber. I think that's what Rothwell was talking about.
Really?

I think Bart Paleszewski would be a little offended to hear that...He tries very hard....I met Ryan McGivern at MFS last year...and Mike (mr Unpronouncable surname) he told me he wanted to meet, but then he couldnt because he was in Canada that week.

How could they not be considered UFC Level...there were a lot of Teams, and they more or less won everything didnt they.

The guy is a bitter little man by the sounds of it. He seems the type that uses you, moves on, and then shyte talks about you...I hope they slam the door in his face when he's on the way down...you watch...five years from now when he's moved to some other camp, he'll be saying exactly the same thing about Matt Hume, Duke Roufus and Patrick Barry.

He does my head in

...and just to clarify...there are still a load of MFSers around...Spencer Fisher (on days when he hasnt completely fallen off the edge of the world) L.C Davis (I know he's moved back home now, but he was MFS) There are several younger tallents, including Zach Micklewright and Jesse Lennox...and isnt Jesse Forbes an MFSer also...there is someone else of that ilk who I forget. MFS can also be reflected in its plantations...You know effectively Champions has spawned Driven Training Centre (through Jens Pulver) Elite (Through Jeremy Horn) HIT Squad (Through Matt Hughes) a wide MFS affiliate centres in all kinds of different states...Matt Hume is a tad of a loner in that I think he has a school but really people travel direct to see only him, he's like a training hermit for famous MMA people. Duke Roufus has at least two that I know of, probably three, and there is a lot of cross over between him at two places in Virginia (Norfolk) not to mention Combat Sports Centre in Richmond....Suckerpunch Entertainment (I do so hope he's not a part of that) has links across to Elite Utah, and also links with Assucao, and also links with Curran MMA. Thats a good proportion of fight Camps that I know about...I'd also include the Wolfslair and some of the Liverpool based ones.

I'm looking to try and crack the ones in New Mexico next LOL...is that Jacksons, or is he somewhere else, I can never remember....Quest and Xtreme Couture are not interesting to me, Gracie anything is a bore...Team Alpha Male just makes me laugh...then the Top Teams and the Chute Boxes of this world are made up of people who dont speak a word of English.

Last edited by Tyburn; 06-08-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:09 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Really?

I think Bart Paleszewski would be a little offended to hear that...He tries very hard....I met Ryan McGivern at MFS last year...and Mike (mr Unpronouncable surname) he told me he wanted to meet, but then he couldnt because he was in Canada that week.

How could they not be considered UFC Level...there were a lot of Teams, and they more or less won everything didnt they.

The guy is a bitter little man by the sounds of it. He seems the type that uses you, moves on, and then shyte talks about you...I hope they slam the door in his face when he's on the way down...you watch...five years from now when he's moved to some other camp, he'll be saying exactly the same thing about Matt Hume, Duke Roufus and Patrick Barry.

He does my head in
I disagree wit Rothwell, too. I'm just trying to explain his point of view rather than allow for a straw-man to be erected. Just objectively look at the list:
  • Bart - Great LW, but fighting in the WEC. Yes, it's still Zuffa, but if he's a WEC LW, that means he's not UFC level (or at least hasn't put together UFC level wins yet)
  • Ryan - His last fight was in Bellator, a organization meant to showcase young, inexperienced, rising talent not yet at a UFC level
  • Mike - Domestic Violence
  • Rothwell - Ugh
As much as I like the 1st two guys on that list & want to see them in the UFC dominating, they're no where near the level of the first wave of MFS Elite, and I doubt you'd argue that they are (Bart = Jens & Ryan = Matt? ).

All Rothwell was trying to say (I think), is just that MFS isn't the powerhouse team it used to be. I think that, unfortunately, we all have to agree.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I disagree wit Rothwell, too. I'm just trying to explain his point of view rather than allow for a straw-man to be erected. Just objectively look at the list:
  • Bart - Great LW, but fighting in the WEC. Yes, it's still Zuffa, but if he's a WEC LW, that means he's not UFC level (or at least hasn't put together UFC level wins yet)
  • Ryan - His last fight was in Bellator, a organization meant to showcase young, inexperienced, rising talent not yet at a UFC level
  • Mike - Domestic Violence
  • Rothwell - Ugh
As much as I like the 1st two guys on that list & want to see them in the UFC dominating, they're no where near the level of the first wave of MFS Elite, and I doubt you'd argue that they are (Bart = Jens & Ryan = Matt? ).

All Rothwell was trying to say (I think), is just that MFS isn't the powerhouse team it used to be. I think that, unfortunately, we all have to agree.
Its not right for him to say that in public, even if it is true. He trained there, so it makes him look like a pompous twat to say something like that.

What do you mean Mike and domestic violence??

...and you missed out Rory Markham
Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Its not right for him to say that in public, even if it is true. He trained there, so it makes him look like a pompous twat to say something like that.

What do you mean Mike and domestic violence??

...and you missed out Rory Markham
I agree. It's a bull-spit thing for him to say about teammates. Low class.

Sorry, not domestic violence. Sexual assault. My bad!

I knew I was missing someone!!!! Rory's the man! Is he still in the UFC, or was he let go?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Question

Quote:
I agree. It's a bull-spit thing for him to say about teammates. Low class.

Sorry, not domestic violence. Sexual assault. My bad!

I knew I was missing someone!!!! Rory's the man! Is he still in the UFC, or was he let go?
What Are you saying Mike sexually attacked someone Are you sure We are talking about Mike who used to be a silverback in the IFL

I used to talk to him, he seemed...nice
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 AM

funny how he likes to throw his name around wit da big boys

rothwell is a loser, a can

this is the only thing i can think about when i think about rothwell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9r2GAAaiKs

can't stand losers that will do anything to be someone, like beat up fat untrained kids, or say anything less than flattering about legends or try to include himself in with legends
Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
What Are you saying Mike sexually attacked someone Are you sure We are talking about Mike who used to be a silverback in the IFL

I used to talk to him, he seemed...nice
O, wait, I'm think of Mike Whitehead, not Mike Sez-no-love-itch, or however you spell his last name!