Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Primadawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
I'm a nurse, someone will want me in their community for my skills.

~Amy
Amy, I believe it's spelled "skilz"
Old 02-24-2009, 02:31 AM
Stump Rules!

Sounds a lot like Hillsboro. Guess I'd go stay with NateR he's practically used to it plus we'd have Mac right up the road...yeah, that's what I would do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
what you might do in a real state of Emergency?

Supposing your Government dissapeared overnight, supposing your public amenities vanished the next day...No fresh drinking water, no waste disposal, riots and looting happening all around you, no police, and before any Military Presence could be mustered

Supposing also, no Phones, No mobile Phones, No internet, No public Transport, no Trains, or planes, and all the roads being blocked by trashed cars...not to mention if you had a car, no knowledge of where you'd be able to refuel.

How would you survive? Where would you go? What would you do?

What about finding other family Members?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
what you might do in a real state of Emergency?

Supposing your Government dissapeared overnight, supposing your public amenities vanished the next day...No fresh drinking water, no waste disposal, riots and looting happening all around you, no police, and before any Military Presence could be mustered

Supposing also, no Phones, No mobile Phones, No internet, No public Transport, no Trains, or planes, and all the roads being blocked by trashed cars...not to mention if you had a car, no knowledge of where you'd be able to refuel.

What about finding other family Members?
I would use the restroom, have a shower, then drink beer on the front porch and watch all the chaos.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 AM
Crisco

Have to be honest I would probably start building an army to conquer my empire. The best way to restore order and safety for everyone is to get rid of anyone who opposes me. A republic form of government would form over time. Would probably hang on to the constitutional monarchy just to get things stable.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Mac

QUOTE=Tyburn]what you might do in a real state of Emergency?

What about finding other family Members?[/QUOTE]

You better tell me if your joking Dave , Dont get me all happy like that then let me down.

Weve got a hand dug well that hasnt ran dry in somewhere in the neighbor hood of 70-80 years or more , no worries there. Me and My folsk both pull water out of it , its what feeds our home

Nothing to loot hear , And they gotte be able to close 800 yards without me seeing them , and at this exact point in time , the cover of night aint gonna help em lol.

Watch Smokey and the Bandit Dave. Those things they call cb radios are not movie props , Alot of us " HillBilliys" still have em in our trucks , and use em quite often.

Never used it , dont need to , actually , dont even have it around here come to think about it . I think Decatur about 40 miles to the north has buses but thats about it .

Dont Need roads. Every other farm out here owns 3 or 4 horses. See any old western Movie to find out how they are used.

Those Horses i talked about eat grass. And if i get hungry , well , ive had worse i imagine lol.

We Live within a few miles of each other , Refer back to those cb radios and Horses i spoke of earlier

As for food. That wont be a problem , Refer Back to my numerous posts full of dead animals , They may look bad but taste excellent.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, Dave, you and I have already discussed how ideal my apartment would be in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

I remember reading about when the USSR collapsed. People woke up one day and their nation's capital, Moscow, was suddenly in a foreign country. If something like that happened here, I don't think we'd be seeing riots in the streets of Hillsboro (however I wouldn't go near East St. Louis unless my life depended on it). I think people in small rural areas would band together pretty quick. Essentially, you'd end up with thousands of "mini-countries" dotting the countryside living under a localized form of martial law.

The cities would fall into chaos pretty quick. Think about it: no police, no fire department, no hospitals, no electricity, no running water, no phone or television service... nothing. People might band together initially, but eventually hunger will set in (because we're talking about city folk who don't know how to grow their own food). And when people realize that the government that they trusted to help them no longer exists, then the city's population will begin feeding upon itself. It will turn into a "might makes right" nightmare.

Just think of the LA race riots from 1992, then multiply that times the Hurricane Katrina disaster and you'd have that in every single city in the country with no hope of law enforcement or even a military putting a stop to any of it.

Of course, much of that would bleed off into surrounding towns, but I believe that most rural towns would seal themselves off from the outside world. Trespassers would be shot on sight. Eventually, localized militias would begin to form to restore order. They would be made up of just regular citizens with firearms who want to keep their families safe. Maybe led by former military and police, but not necessarily.

The most tragic part will be when the economic system collapses and the banks shut down. People's bank account balances will vanish into thin air and the credit cards and cash that they have in their pockets will become worthless. You IRA, retirement plans, health insurance would all disappear and people would be forced to barter for food and clean water.

After just a few days, stores, gas stations, and restaurants would be looted clean and whatever food was left behind would be rotted. People would start to eat their pets and their pets' food. The next source of food would be the garbage, people would be forced to rummage through dumpsters and city landfills for any food they might be able to find. Ranchers would be on almost 24 hour alert in order to prevent people from entering their land and killing their livestock for food. Also you can't rule out cannibalism, especially in the overcrowded cities.

I can't imagine what our borders would turn into, because if we go down, Mexico and Canada are going with us.
i think people dont realize how close this sort of thing is to reality and everybody should be preparing just in case,,i live in the city but grew up in the country and i'm able to look after my family if something like this ever happens,,its only 5 hours by vehicle back to my old stomping grounds and there is an abundance of food swimming in the lakes and rivers, and running through the bush that we could survive a complete financial melt down for for as long as we had to,,and it may sound stupid to some people but i started taking steps to prepare for a situation like this over a year ago,,

hopefully i never have to implement my plans,,
Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
Sounds a lot like Hillsboro. Guess I'd go stay with NateR he's practically used to it plus we'd have Mac right up the road...yeah, that's what I would do

We'll Put you up Michelle , But your gonna have to learn how to field dress a deer within the first few days. And no , that doesnt mean putting a sweater on him to stay warm. LOL

And Brad , I impliment my plan everytime something walks through my backyard that looks like it would go good with A1 sauce
Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 AM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
We'll Put you up Michelle , But your gonna have to learn how to field dress a deer within the first few days. And no , that doesnt mean putting a sweater on him to stay warm. LOL

And Brad , I impliment my plan everytime something walks through my backyard that looks like it would go good with A1 sauce
well your one of the lucky ones,,you only have to stock up on A1 sauce,
Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
well your one of the lucky ones,,you only have to stock up on A1 sauce,

Bring a case with ya and well have a barbecue!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Stump Rules!

This is going to be gross isn't it?
I'll just suffer at the Dairy Queen until you fix everything then come pick me up k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

http://stumpdotcom.com/