Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default Anderson and Matt on another card together..

So another PPV with Hughes and Silva....

Anyone think that Matt should be the Main Event and bump Anderson to the first "co-main" event????

Granted.. Matt will always be a Champion in my book, but Anderson is currently holding a title..

UFC 117: Matt Hughes vs Ricardo Almeida announced for Aug. 7 in Oakland
UFC 117: 'Silva vs Sonnen' official for Oracle Arena in Oakland on Aug. 7

Quote:
Ricardo Almeida will be out for revenge when he locks horns with Matt Hughes in a welterweight showdown that is now set for the upcoming UFC 117: "Silva vs. Sonnen" pay-per-view (PPV) event planned for the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., on Aug. 7.

The promotion today made the long-rumored 170-pound match up official.

"Cachorrão" should be in high spirits, considering he's the winner of three straight. The grappling wizard recently made Matt Brown look mortal in their 170-pound clash at UFC 111: "St. Pierre vs. Hardy" back in March.

His celebration was short lived, however, as his master and long-time friend, Renzo Gracie, was stopped by the flinty farmboy at UFC 112: "Invincible" earlier this month.

Almeida has looked good since dropping to 170-pounds, but will he be good enough to overcome the former division champion?
Flinty Farmboy???? "that's one I haven't heard before..."

And....
Quote:
It's time to buy some whiskey!

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) today officially announced that its middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, will indeed defend his 185-pound title against the trash-talking Chael Sonnen at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., on Aug. 7.

Unsurprisingly, company president Dana White is looking forward to UFC 117: "Silva vs. Sonnen."

"When we offered Chael Sonnen this shot at the title, he promised us one thing: that he was going to make this a fight. I know he means it, and after beating three legit contenders in Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami, and Dan Miller, he's definitely going to bring the best out of Anderson Silva on August 7th. And as far as Anderson is concerned, he wants to remind everybody why he’s considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world."

Silva is coming off a controversial unanimous decision win over Demian Maia at UFC 112 earlier this year. "The Spider" danced the night away, taunting and floating around the Octagon much to the ire of White.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
So another PPV with Hughes and Silva....

Anyone think that Matt should be the Main Event and bump Anderson to the first "co-main" event????

Granted.. Matt will always be a Champion in my book, but Anderson is currently holding a title..

UFC 117: Matt Hughes vs Ricardo Almeida announced for Aug. 7 in Oakland
UFC 117: 'Silva vs Sonnen' official for Oracle Arena in Oakland on Aug. 7

Flinty Farmboy???? "that's one I haven't heard before..."

And....
As u said AS is a current champ and championship fights are almost always main event.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2 View Post
As u said AS is a current champ and championship fights are almost always main event.
But given AS's last performance.. and the other one.. I kinda think that would be fitting.

Compare Anderson and his performances, as well as general atitude, to Matt Huges...

Besides.. Dana said he will "pay the fans back" for the events at AS's last fight.. that would be a start.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
But given AS's last performance.. and the other one.. I kinda think that would be fitting.

Compare Anderson and his performances, as well as general atitude, to Matt Huges...

Besides.. Dana said he will "pay the fans back" for the events at AS's last fight.. that would be a start.
Bumping Silva's championship fight isn't going to "pay the fans back", it'll just tick Silva off.

Matt's a Hall of Famer and great former champion, but Silva is a current belto holder, he gets the main event.....pretty simple if you ask me (and I don't feel that it discredits Matt in any way).

Later.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
Bumping Silva's championship fight isn't going to "pay the fans back", it'll just tick Silva off.
Not talking about "bumping his fight" just have his fight be BEFORE Matt's. And if it ticks Anderson off.. well.. after his last fight.. that would be fine with me.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:42 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Not talking about "bumping his fight" just have his fight be BEFORE Matt's. And if it ticks Anderson off.. well.. after his last fight.. that would be fine with me.
It's still bumping the fight though, whether it's in a different order on the card or not. When was the last time you saw a championship fight NOT be the Main Event on a UFC card?

I think it's enough that Dana said that Silva would be let go from the UFC if he turns in another half-hearted performance again.

Later.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Miss Foxy

I love me some Matt and thats a fact, however I don't think having his fight before Andersons would be a good thing. Just because Anderson is fighting the way he is or isnt does not give rights to bump a fighter who holds the title.. Sorry, but that's just the way it goes..
Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
Dana said that Silva would be let go from the UFC
Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I agree.

Later.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:52 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I actually think it's great they are sharing a card again. I am always excited to see Matt and Anderson fight, and it's definitely more for my money to have both of them on the card. Although, I will admit I do live outside the box of those who's panties have been in a bunch since the Abu Dhabi card, and even before that.